should seniors startlastgame?

76 replies to this topic

#1 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Today's Lima News had a letter to the editor from an upset parent that the coach at AE decided to start the 5 players he thought gave them the best chance to win the game, instead of following Allen East "tradition" and allowing seniors to start since it was their last home game. :huh:

The parent goes on to say the coach worked every senior into the game and everything is OK now because the mustangs won, even though the game had no bearing on the NWC title or tournament seedings. He went on to say "winning isn't everything, sometimes it's about doing what's right"........IMO that is a loser mentality.

I say congratulations to Allen East's Coach for, in the words or former NFL Coach Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game"............he is a good young coach and hopefully he goes on to break another tradition at AE, the tradition of losing.

So what do you think? Start the regular starting 5 or potentially cost your team a win by starting someone just because they are a senior and it is the last home game?

#2 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Member No.: 2616

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Doesn't make a bit of difference unless the other team has the potential to put the game out of reach real quick. Start the seniors and sub at the first whistle.
Coldwater Cavaliers--20 State Titles and Counting!!!!

#3 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

It looked to be a close game against LCC that AE ended winning 65-52. I just don't think it sends the right message to a player who may have started all season that you have to sit because someone else is a senior........plus wouldn't it feel a bit strange being subbed for at the first whistle? Kind of like: we know you are not good enough to really play meaningful minutes, but we'll put you out there as a token gesture and then take you out right away?

#4 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Winning isn't everything...........it's the only thing!!!!!!

#5 sauceyboy

All District

• Members
  • 249 posts

Member No.: 4406

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

This happens all the time ...no big deal. If the game means something play to win. if it doesnt, let the seniors have some fun.

#6 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

That letter was probably the culmination of a couple years of frustration by this mom. her precious senior daughter didnt get to play as much as she thought she should have. a more talented underclassman took her spot which fried this parent. you could almost hear her grumbling at each game hoping they would lose so her daughter would play more. very selfish. with chemistry like that its a miracle (to the coach's credit) they did as well as they did. an early exit from the tourney - no doubt. i hope she doesnt play softball or we may see this letter again.

#7 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

http://www.limaohio....east-allen.html

Letter: Allen East win was bitter sweet
February 21, 2012 10:09 AM
ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail Story

Kerry Mason, Harrod
Last Friday night's basketball game between Allen East and LCC was senior night for the Allen East girls, and at Allen East for years it has been a tradition that the senior basketball players get their chance to be a starter and have playing time for their last home game.

This year the coach said that the win was more important than starting the seniors because the team doesn't do well after losing a game and that he would try to work the seniors into the game if there was an opportunity. The players on the team supported the seniors and some of the players on the team were willing to give up their starting positions so that all three seniors could have their chance to start and get some playing time.

Yes, Allen East won the game and all the seniors did get some playing time, however, they did not get to start. So for some people who thought that it was wrong that the seniors didn't get to start everything is okay now because of the win. The win was not for first in the NWC or help in the tournament drawings. I am a parent to one of the seniors that didn't get to start, so maybe I am being prejudice in my thinking. To me though winning isn't everything. Sometimes it is about doing what is right. So thank you to all the Allen East team players that supported the seniors and the ones who were willing to give up your starting positions trying to do the right thing.

#8 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Couldn't agree more Falcon, glad you brought this up. She just made herself look like an idiot. The newspaper is no place to express your displeasure over playing time for God's sake. If you have a problem with the coach, go to the AD or principal, don't scream out "I want attention."

#9 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 21 February 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

She goes on to say the coach worked every senior into the game and everything is OK now because the mustangs won, even though the game had no bearing on the NWC title or tournament seedings. She went on to say "winning isn't everything, sometimes it's about doing what's right"........IMO that is a loser mentality.

View Postkaizen, on 21 February 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

That letter was probably the culmination of a couple years of frustration by this mom.

View PostMCguy, on 21 February 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

She just made herself look like an idiot.
"she/mom" is actually a "he/dad". ;) ;)
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#10 Dark Knight

All District

• Members
  • 194 posts

Member No.: 3030

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Just because it is a "tradition" doesn't make it right. I agree with the coach's decision. Now it is a "tradition" for AE to play to win!

#11 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postslice slice baby, on 21 February 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

"she/mom" is actually a "he/dad". ;) ;)

I fixed the initial post, after I read Kaizen's link I realized this may be a guy who wrote this letter, which actually makes this story even worse.

#12 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

I fixed the initial post, after I read Kaizen's link I realized this may be a guy who wrote this letter, which actually makes this story even worse.

have to say.... was my thoughts exactly!
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#13 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

take away the man card then.

#14 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

View Postkaizen, on 21 February 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

take away the man card then.
Agreed.

#15 redbird

All State

• Members
  • 549 posts

Member No.: 5414

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

I see where the AE girls program is better this year than they have been. So whatever the coach is doing is "The right thing to do". The seniors were probably recognized before the game, that is the right thing to do. High school sports is about winning, not keeping parents happy and letting sub-par players start because they are seniors. Tradition? Sometimes that is over rated. Winning is never over rated. Kudos to the coach for helping turn the Mustang program around!

#16 Obed

All District

• Members
  • 197 posts

Member No.: 5247

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Id think everybody in AE land would be happy with the reletive success of the girls team.

Slice, does Kerry have a daughter on that team? I know him but not that well.

My two pennies: coach made the right call. Herm Edwards philosophy fits in this situation.
Troller of Trolls. Ayatollah of souls.

#17 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

Starting seniors on senior night in any sport is overrated. Most of the time when they do start them, they are only in the game for maybe about a minute and then taken out. To me that just would seem worse than not starting them. Senior night is just a recognition of the seniors on the team. Whether the league title is on the line or not, I believe you always want to play to win. Especially late in the season to build confidence up heading into the tournament. I believe AE coach did it all right there and like what he is doing. Who says you have to follow tradition.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#18 mathfreak

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 5370

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

I can see this parent's frustration. It is not as if they are asking that the seniors be allowed to start every game, just this last game in their home gym. I guarantee that 10 years from now, they will not remember the final score of this game, but they would have remembered having their names called over the PA and meeting their senior teammates at center court one last time. As far as subbing in, I must admit I am not aware of the talent difference between the seniors and the underclassmen, but some of the seniors might surprise, come out inspired, and play well. How often is a game lost in the first 3-4 minutes?

I know one of the primary focuses of varsity sports is supposed to be winning, but I think that winning can still be accomplished many different ways.

#19 Ihatesoccer

All District

• Members
  • 160 posts

Member No.: 3741

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

THEY ARE NOT LITTLE BABIES ANYMORE!!!!!

YOU PLAY TO WIN, YOU HAVE THE BEST PLAYERS OF FLOOR!!!

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE 40 YEARS AT A JOB DOES NOT MAKE YOU THE BOSS!! BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB!!

BEST PLAYERS ON THE FLOOR !!! PLAY TO WIN !!!!

#20 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

I agree winning is important and if you look at the letter he was upset because other than a win, the game meant nothing. No change in their ranking in the league, no changes in their tournament seeding. If a player has played through the program all the way through his or her career and sticks it out, four years and you left her on the team, then she deserves to play on senior night.
If she isn't good enough to ever get on the floor then he or she should be cut.

This is highschool. The real world is the real world but Highschool coaches are also supposed to be setting moral examples, and if you keep a player on the team, Then as a senior then she deserves to play on senior night.
I don't think it necessary they have to start, but it is the easiest way to get them in. And starting is a bigger deal.

And you are wrong if you don't think the player especially a girl, likes having her name announced in the starting line-up, and it doesn't matter it may only be for a 1:00.

Students have the rest of their lives to be ******* on by things they don't feel is fair.
Remember the coach kept them on the team. If he was really trying to be all about winning he would have cut them.
So cut them, but don't keep them and not play them. It's one game.

Besides, society as whole is more politcally correct in the real world they we are in Highschool sports.

Oh, and I like what the Coach is doing by the way at AE, once he figures out how to win games, and not lose them, they will have a nice program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users