Bad Trend

10 replies to this topic

#1 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Now the talk is that Dwight Howard and Darren Williams will try to "take their talents" to Houston. This is a big time problem folks. These young guys have lots of money and no rings. So they get to their mid-late 20's and just start assembling their own teams to chase a title. It just worked with LB. Is this the NBA that you want?

#2 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

not sure how I feel about this...You do play to win CHampionships, and when individual stars cant get it done, why not team up with someone to get it...and with the Heat doing what they did, the Celtics doing what they did, Kobe and Shaq doing what they did, it laid the ground work on what to do to win...and if you go back to the great teams, they all had 2-3 good players that they win with..Nothing like LeBron had in Cleveland or what Wade had in Miami or what Peirce had in Boston...just isnt going to happen
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#3 Pulitzer

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 6455

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

If they are free agents, I don't see an issue here. Last time I checked, we live in America. You know, freedom of choice and all that.

#4 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostFrOnT RoW JOE, on 26 June 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

not sure how I feel about this...You do play to win CHampionships, and when individual stars cant get it done, why not team up with someone to get it...and with the Heat doing what they did, the Celtics doing what they did, Kobe and Shaq doing what they did, it laid the ground work on what to do to win...and if you go back to the great teams, they all had 2-3 good players that they win with..Nothing like LeBron had in Cleveland or what Wade had in Miami or what Peirce had in Boston...just isnt going to happen
Sure it does. Wade won a title in Miami BEFORE LeBron. Dirk won a title in Dallas. And with all due respect to Garnett and Ray Allen, they are not mega superstars, they are good, solid NBA veterans who, coupled with Pierce and Rondo, won a title. That's more legit that what the Heat are now. There is not one solid reason Dwight Howard should leave Orlando. He's the best center in the NBA, How could the Magic ever explain to their fans that this is good for their franchise??
I also consider Darron Williams a good solid player, not a franchise player.

#5 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

The ONLY reason I'm mad about all of this stuff? I'm a Bulls fan. They've all basically told us to eff off(Howard for sure with his whole, "Chicago is too cold BS", Lebron and Wade to a lesser extent). So they can eff off as well.

Other than that, who cares. It's their career, it's their life. If they're happy and can sleep at night, it's not our job to judge them.

#6 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I think the thing that bothers most people isn't as much as players are teaming up, it is that they don't hate each other and want to beat each other. It seems the stars of the league get along with one another to the point they are discussing behind closed doors getting on the same team. YOu don't have the Bird Vs. MAgic.

Basketball is the one sport where a star player can really control a team, and it's future, and the only thing the players have left to gain is championships. and I think it bothers us that the top stars don't have that hatred toward each other like, or the drive to show they are better than this star. I don't see Jordon and Isiah Thomas calling each other and having a beer after the game.
I can see Lebron and Durant hanging out after the series was over.

Wade had Shaq, Morning by the way top centers to play the game.

And if we rate players based on how many championships they won, not whether they played they entire career with their own team, I think it is up to management to realize what they have and do things to keep stars at home. I really don't think Howard wants to leave, but I don't think he feels the Magic is putting a team on the floor that can compete for a title and at the end of the day he wants that ring.

#7 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

View Postgamekeeper, on 28 June 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

And if we rate players based on how many championships they won, not whether they played they entire career with their own team, I think it is up to management to realize what they have and do things to keep stars at home. I really don't think Howard wants to leave, but I don't think he feels the Magic is putting a team on the floor that can compete for a title and at the end of the day he wants that ring.
Management pays these guys millions of dollars to play a game. I don't know what else you can ask for as a player. As for Howard, not sure there is many other places than Orlando that would be better. The thing that many people DON'T understand is that is the the NBA, it's a private professional basketball league. A player does not have a RIGHT to play on a certain team, in a certain market, or win a title. If I'm David Stern, I WANT all 30 teams to have a superstar and the ability to compete for a title. I don't want stars ganging up on certain teams and making it a 5 team can win/ 25 teams can't league.
Now, if I'm Orlando management and Howard truly wants to win a title...give up about 40% of your pay so we can get you some help. That "not committed to winning" excuse doesn't hold alot of water with me if you want a max salary. Do you want paid, or do you want to win?

#8 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

now more than ever, the small market teams are out...Stars will not stay there
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#9 Pulitzer

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 6455

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

I don't follow the NBA all that closely, so I'm not being snarky in asking this: Is Houston considered a big-market team? Any more so than Orlando? I don't know that I could name a Houston Rocket off the top of my head now that Yao Ming is retired.

#10 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

Actually a player has the right to play wherever he is going to get paid. Miami paid lebron after his contract is up with Cleveland. He didn't leave midway thru his contract. He is Free to leave. FREE AGENT. Miami paid him to come there. So if Titles aren't important then, MIami or any other team wouldn't have the right to sign Clevelands Superstar, because we want everyone to have one. It's not like Miami is a large market team.

Players get drafted to play for a team that they didn't choose to play for, and sign a contract. Once that contract is up, there is no obligation for them to stay with that team. Players get traded and cut all the time that want to stay where they were at. So how is it different if the player leaves on his on free will instead of getting cut or traded.

#11 nothalfbad

All District

• Members
  • 201 posts

Member No.: 5659

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Postgamekeeper, on 29 June 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Actually a player has the right to play wherever he is going to get paid. Miami paid lebron after his contract is up with Cleveland. He didn't leave midway thru his contract. He is Free to leave. FREE AGENT. Miami paid him to come there. So if Titles aren't important then, MIami or any other team wouldn't have the right to sign Clevelands Superstar, because we want everyone to have one. It's not like Miami is a large market team.

Players get drafted to play for a team that they didn't choose to play for, and sign a contract. Once that contract is up, there is no obligation for them to stay with that team. Players get traded and cut all the time that want to stay where they were at. So how is it different if the player leaves on his on free will instead of getting cut or traded.

Why is it that when Lebron went to Cleveland it became his team. When players get drafted they play for a team till end of contract. After that everything is negotiated. I get that. But why do people say Orlando is Howard's team and he should have some loyalty. Did he buy the team? I think not. You are exactly right. If their contract is up why should they stay if they do not want to. I have seen so many posts that say Lebron was the best player in the league without a ring. If he would have stayed in Cleveland that would be his name. Best player in the league without a ring. He went somewhere, got a ring and is ripped to shreads because he did so. Now he is the best player in the league with no alliances or loyalty. It will never end. They need to do what is best for them and the he** with all the fans that need to get a clue. They would get rif of them in a hearbeat if they stop winning, but do not quit because then you are not loyal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users