Competitive balance seems to be working ....

76 replies to this topic

#61 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Sure you could do that, of course you would have to first believe that the new school has no problems. (Hint... they do!)

Of course after a year or so at the new school you could realise that it's worse than the one you left. So now what you going to do?

Edited by HH75, 20 May 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#62 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

View PostHH75, on 20 May 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ok I can agree with that. academics and art.

Wink wink.. nudge nudge

Ocean front property?

The OHIO STATE LEGISLATURE passed this, not the OHSAA. Sports was probably the last thing they considered when discussing this if they considered it all. Not everyone is obsessed with high school sports or life revolves around HS sports. Put your conspiracy theories and fake news to rest.

#63 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostHH75, on 20 May 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

Sure you could do that, of course you would have to first believe that the new school has no problems. (Hint... they do!)

Of course after a year or so at the new school you could realise that it's worse than the one you left. So now what you going to do?
Go somewhere else. People do that with jobs, college, cars etc ALL THE TIME. Not an issue ....
But I transferred after my soph yr so I guess I'm more of a proponent than others.

#64 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostHH75, on 20 May 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I need help... LCC is playing in D-4 baseball. Will they be playing in D-4 basketball this year? Thanks...

#65 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

View Postvon, on 20 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

I need help... LCC is playing in D-4 baseball. Will they be playing in D-4 basketball this year? Thanks...
Yes

#66 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

View PostBobby, on 20 May 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

The OHIO STATE LEGISLATURE passed this, not the OHSAA. Sports was probably the last thing they considered when discussing this if they considered it all. Not everyone is obsessed with high school sports or life revolves around HS sports. Put your conspiracy theories and fake news to rest.

Yes I know that the legislature made the change,

One of things open enrollment did was allow parents to be come uninvolved in the school. Susie or Johnny has a problem with principle, teacher, coach, choir director.. people turn tail and open enroll instead of becoming involved. Thing is while you are upset at school A, and ready to go to school B. Somebody at school B is headed to school C, for the exact reason you are.

#67 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostFlightCrew, on 20 May 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

Go somewhere else. People do that with jobs, college, cars etc ALL THE TIME. Not an issue ....
But I transferred after my soph yr so I guess I'm more of a proponent than others.

Thank you you made my point!

Something goes bad.. open enroll, new school has problems... No problem, open enroll to a third school. When does it stop? Why not be involved from the start and fix the problem at the original district you live in?

I have no issues with moving because of a job or a family issue, but attend the school that you now reside in.

#68 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostHH75, on 21 May 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

Thank you you made my point!

Something goes bad.. open enroll, new school has problems... No problem, open enroll to a third school. When does it stop? Why not be involved from the start and fix the problem at the original district you live in?

I have no issues with moving because of a job or a family issue, but attend the school that you now reside in.
My mom taught and my dad was a former board member on the school I left. More than well involved in district we lived in .....
I still got the hell out and for good reasons.

#69 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hats off to your family for trying to make a difference, it certainly isn't the normal anymore.

#70 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 20 May 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

Yes

Great, many they can join the PCL or NWC...

#71 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

View Postvon, on 21 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Great, many they can join the PCL or NWC...
Von, don't give LCC any ideas. Lol. There's 3 PCL teams that would give LCC a run for their money next year, Kalida, Grove, and Ottoville. We are a year away from competing against LCC but unfortunately that's in girls basketball. I'm hearing the boys numbers will be really good again. Looks like the new coach is keeping them interested.

Even though you lost a lot of talent to graduation it sounds like the girls will be the favorite in their district. I'm always up for a great Lady Green tournament run. My friends like to get out their wallets so I didn't have to pay for a single drink last February or March.

#72 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 21 May 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

Von, don't give LCC any ideas. Lol. There's 3 PCL teams that would give LCC a run for their money next year, Kalida, Grove, and Ottoville. We are a year away from competing against LCC but unfortunately that's in girls basketball. I'm hearing the boys numbers will be really good again. Looks like the new coach is keeping them interested.

Even though you lost a lot of talent to graduation it sounds like the girls will be the favorite in their district. I'm always up for a great Lady Green tournament run. My friends like to get out their wallets so I didn't have to pay for a single drink last February or March.

Thanks for the comments. The Big Green girls should still be strong, more sisters coming up. OHS boys should also be pretty good, lost alot, but best year they had in years. Is Coach Kill still at LCC?

#73 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

View Postvon, on 21 May 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments. The Big Green girls should still be strong, more sisters coming up. OHS boys should also be pretty good, lost alot, but best year they had in years. Is Coach Kill still at LCC?

Yes, Kill is still at LCC. Saw them play once last year. It was the worst LCC team in many years.

#74 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:40 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 22 May 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

Yes, Kill is still at LCC. Saw them play once last year. It was the worst LCC team in many years.

I know they had a bad year. but they play a tough schedule, plus D-4 is weaker than many D-3 teams.

#75 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

The State Tourn. Final Fours are set. The Public - Parochial breakdown is as follows:
D1 3 Parochial and 1 Public
D2 4 Public
D3 4 Parochial
D4 4 Public
My observation is that competitive balance has driven the big city small privates to D3. At least 3 of the D3 schools have played in D4 in past years. The large big city private schools playing in D1 still have a great advantage by attracting all star teams from large population areas. The clear winners are teams playing in D4 since most of the privates have been bumped up a division with the new formula. D3 looks like the place not to be if you are a rural public school. This result was pretty much predictable with the new competitive balance formula. I still think we are heading to separate public / private tournaments. Apathy may be the only thing stopping that. I am not saying that some big city public schools don't attract athletes thru open enrollment, but it pales in comparison to what private schools do. My prediction is the Schott will be pretty empty during the D3 session and good attendance at the D4 session. I always enjoy watching the Moeller student cheering section.

Edited by waterloowonder, 17 March 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#76 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Member No.: 9633

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

Ohio State D3 tournament, AAU basketball at it's finest! So sad! Well decisions to make. D3 games or Varsity Club? Save me a seat at Varsity Club!!!

#77 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 17 March 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

The State Tourn. Final Fours are set. The Public - Parochial breakdown is as follows:
D1 3 Parochial and 1 Public
D2 4 Public
D3 4 Parochial
D4 4 Public
My observation is that competitive balance has driven the big city small privates to D3. At least 3 of the D3 schools have played in D4 in past years. The large big city private schools playing in D1 still have a great advantage by attracting all star teams from large population areas. The clear winners are teams playing in D4 since most of the privates have been bumped up a division with the new formula. D3 looks like the place not to be if you are a rural public school. This result was pretty much predictable with the new competitive balance formula. I still think we are heading to separate public / private tournaments. Apathy may be the only thing stopping that. I am not saying that some big city public schools don't attract athletes thru open enrollment, but it pales in comparison to what private schools do. My prediction is the Schott will be pretty empty during the D3 session and good attendance at the D4 session. I always enjoy watching the Moeller student cheering section.

There will never be a separate Private school tournament. You think Private schools recruit now? Remove OHSAA governing from the picture, and it's no-holds-barred. There will never be a "perfect" scenario.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users