Blanchard Valley Conference 2014

293 replies to this topic

#1 fightingpanther

All League

• Members
  • 76 posts

Member No.: 3326

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

With the addition of teams next year what should we expect to see from the conference? With the conference having 2 non-league games moving forward this could be huge for computer points for the playoffs if the teams are able to win the games. In years past the league schools knew what the max for computer points would be after week 1 moving forward there will be many different scenarios. From my understanding in speaking with an AD each team will not play 3 teams from the conference. Thoughts??

The breakdown is as follows based on previous 4 year wins and enrollment. The top 3 teams listed in Group A will play everyone but the bottom 3 teams listed in Group B. Ex. Arlington, LB, McComb will not play NB, PG or Van. and HL, Leipsic and VB will not play Arcadia, CR and Riverdale. So every team has 3 crossover games.

Group A
Arlington
Liberty-Benton
McComb

Arcadia
Cory-Rawson
Riverdale

Group B
Hopewell Loudon
Leipsic
Van Buren

North Baltimore
Pandora-Gilboa
Vanlue

Edited by fightingpanther, 18 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#2 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

View Postfightingpanther, on 18 February 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

With the addition of teams next year what should we expect to see from the conference? With the conference having 2 non-league games moving forward this could be huge for computer points for the playoffs if the teams are able to win the games. In years past the league schools knew what the max for computer points would be after week 1 moving forward there will be many different scenarios. From my understanding in speaking with an AD each team will not play 3 teams from the conference. Thoughts??

The breakdown is as follows based on previous 4 year wins and enrollment. The top 3 teams listed in Group A will play everyone but the bottom 3 teams listed in Group B. Ex. Arlington, LB, McComb will not play NB, PG or Van. and HL, Leipsic and VB will not play Arcadia, CR and Riverdale. So every team has 3 crossover games.

Group A
Arlington
Liberty-Benton
McComb

Arcadia
Cory-Rawson
Riverdale

Group B
Hopewell Loudon
Leipsic
Van Buren

North Baltimore
Pandora-Gilboa
Vanlue

This instantly will make teams scheduled more competitive for good and bad teams.

Does anyone have a lost of teams 2 non conference games?

#3 fightingpanther

All League

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

According to the OHSAA website

Arcadia- Lakota, Riverside
Arlington - Open, Parkway
Cory-Rawson - Bluffton, USV
Hopewell Loudon- Calvert, Elmwood
Leipsic - Spencerville, Fremont St. Joe
Liberty-Benton- Wynford, Bowling Green
McComb - Lancaster Fisher Catholic, Pandora Gilboa
North Baltimore - Holgate, Fairview
Pandora Gilboa- Columbus Grove, McComb
Riverdale- Cardington, Carey
Van Buren- Ottawa Hills, Bluffton
Vanlue- Ridgemont, St. Wendelin

Looks like McComb and PG are the only teams who decided not to go out and schedule a non-conference opponent and scheduled themselves for week 2. Makes no-sense the purpose of the 2 non-league games was to pick up someone not in the league.

#4 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Kudos to Arlington for scheduling a MAC school for a regular season game. Can do nothing but help. I hope that Fisher Catholic is coming north or else I'm gonna giggle my butt off after all the belly aching about road trips last season. As for McComb and PG in week 2...MAC schools have that option to schedule like that but so far nobody has. Better be a one-time shot or it just reeks of laziness

#5 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Leipsic-Fremont St. Joe is a one year deal as we pick up Columbus Grove in 2015.

#6 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Member No.: 3711

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Postbob22, on 18 February 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Kudos to Arlington for scheduling a MAC school for a regular season game. Can do nothing but help. I hope that Fisher Catholic is coming north or else I'm gonna giggle my butt off after all the belly aching about road trips last season. As for McComb and PG in week 2...MAC schools have that option to schedule like that but so far nobody has. Better be a one-time shot or it just reeks of laziness

That is very curious why Pandora wouldn't look out of conference, does seem rather ridiculous. Congrats on scheduling Parkway? They've been the punching bag of the MAC for quite a long time.

#7 whatdoiknow

All District

• Members
  • 339 posts

Member No.: 4278

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

I thought someone told me arlington would be playing ada week two.

#8 fightingpanther

All League

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

I would have to agree scheduling teams already in the conference is a pure sign of laziness by the AD's. I know McComb had a chance to schedule Patrick Henry week 1 and passed to play a team from Lancaster. I guess the Panthers weren't up for the challenge and with the 2 non league games now there is no reason why they shouldn't be playing a game like PH. Local team with good tradition would be a sure win for the athletic department financially.

Edited by fightingpanther, 18 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#9 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

View Postdisplacedrocket, on 18 February 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

That is very curious why Pandora wouldn't look out of conference, does seem rather ridiculous. Congrats on scheduling Parkway? They've been the punching bag of the MAC for quite a long time.
Do you see any other MAC schools in the list above? And if I'm trying to build a program from Arlington's perspective I'd rather play a bottom half MAC team vs. a top half NWCC or TACC school.

#10 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostIrish Viking 87, on 18 February 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Leipsic-Fremont St. Joe is a one year deal as we pick up Columbus Grove in 2015.
Excellent!

#11 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

View Postbob22, on 18 February 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Do you see any other MAC schools in the list above? And if I'm trying to build a program from Arlington's perspective I'd rather play a bottom half MAC team vs. a top half NWCC or TACC school.
But a top half NWCC or TACC school will garner more points than a bottom feeder MAC school. Will give credit for schedling a MAC school, but you would think they would have wanted one that would get a few wins to help with second level points

#12 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Member No.: 3711

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostADog, on 18 February 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

But a top half NWCC or TACC school will garner more points than a bottom feeder MAC school. Will give credit for schedling a MAC school, but you would think they would have wanted one that would get a few wins to help with second level points

Agree with Adog that I'd prefer to take the points. Not that perception is really that big of a reason to schedule or not schedule another team. It will look more impressive to most (IMO) to see team a on the schedule with 7 or 8 wins that plays in a weaker conference, rather than a below average team in a really good conference.

Edited by displacedrocket, 19 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#13 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Member No.: 3912

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

View Postwhatdoiknow, on 18 February 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Not until 2015.

#14 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

As for McComb and PG in week 2...MAC schools have that option to schedule like that but so far nobody has. Better be a one-time shot or it just reeks of laziness
Other conferences have done the same & typically, because it's the smart move to do.
1. The schools are about 30 min apart, which means save on gas $, shorter night for students, and shorter drive for fans, meaning a greater probability that they'll travel to the away site (aka: money).
2. PG was 6-4 last season, while McComb was 8-3, seems like a decent matchup on paper.
3. What was the alternative for either school? Were there any other schools within relatively close travel and a respectable record who had an opening/willingness to play in week 2?
I'm not saying it wasn't the "easy way," but sometimes, it doesn't always mean it's a bad choice. I'm not affiliated with either school, but it actually seems like a solid business move on/off the field.

View PostADog, on 18 February 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Agreed. With the playoff system coming in NCAA, I'd liken this to playing Boise St./UCF or Iowa St./Purdue — Now, back to HS, when points come into question, an 8-2 school is better than playing a 3-7 one, no matter the conference (of similar divisions that is).

Edited by Hagen, 20 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#15 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

View Postwhatdoiknow, on 18 February 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 19 February 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Not until 2015.
I was not aware of this...Good match up...Kudos to the AD's for scheduling this

Edited by ADog, 21 February 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#16 effingA

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 9187

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Starting in 2015, Ada's 3 nonleague games (1st - 3 weeks) will be USV, Arlington, & LCC then into league play.

#17 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PosteffingA, on 21 February 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Starting in 2015, Ada's 3 nonleague games (1st - 3 weeks) will be USV, Arlington, & LCC then into league play.
But...but...but I thought Ada was one that wanted them out..... :sarcasm: Actually pretty good non conference schedule. Like the fact that USV/Ada back on schedule. Know it has not always been a great game but it is a nice rival

#18 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PosteffingA, on 21 February 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

View PostADog, on 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

But...but...but I thought Ada was one that wanted them out..... :sarcasm: Actually pretty good non conference schedule. Like the fact that USV/Ada back on schedule. Know it has not always been a great game but it is a nice rival
2015 sounds like a good time to put them on the schedule. According to a LCC thread, LCC posters say they should be good next year, mediocre the year after(2015), and the returning to pre-Cooper success after that. I hope Coach Palte doesn't have to pay for some of the things Coop did over the years.

Edited by Irish Viking 87, 22 February 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#19 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

ditto for Arlington - Arlington's best team in decades will be next year - year after that, not so much.
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#20 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Member No.: 2524

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostPostPlayer, on 22 February 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

ditto for Arlington - Arlington's best team in decades will be next year - year after that, not so much.

Year after next won't be that bad either Post. Lot of younger players with a ton of talent waiting for their turn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users