22 replies to this topic

#21 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (DAWG_ALICIOUS @ May 30 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best race was the girls 800 meters. Come-from-behind impressive performance by the runner from Archbold who crossed the line cleanly, then came the crash and burn of the next FIVE runners AT the finish line. Took a long time to sort that one out, but the officials got it correct with the 2nd place finisher being disqualified for lane obstruction and the next three moving up. A heartbreaker for the 2nd place finisher for sure because just ONE more step without falling down and she would be headed to Columbus with a fabulous time under her belt. What made it really special is when all the girls finally collected themselves, they helped each other up, hugged each other and shared a tear together for the experience they just lived through. THAT is why track and field is the greatest high school sport there is.

pigskinp.gif
Track is somewhat unique in that rivalries AND friendships can grow throughout the season. Other sports just don't quite measure up in the same manner. I had the pleasure of watching my freshman daughter compete at the Lancaster regional running the starting leg of the 4 X 400 relay. Although they did not qualify for State, the team had a PR of 4:15.81 and she her best split time of 1:02.59. She has made me quite proud of her accomplishments! Too bad that these next 3 years will just FLY by...I just LOVE watching my kids...they grow up way too fast.

#22 DAWG_ALICIOUS

All State

• Members
  • 734 posts

Member No.: 5533

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Erin4 @ May 30 2011, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely agree, except I think it was the girl in 3rd who got disqualified. King from Archbold was out in front with 2:16. Chappell-Dick from Bluffton pulled ahead of the pack and got 2nd in 2:18, and the crash was in the 2:19 group. Erin Pavick tripped, I believe, and took out the Pettisville runner who had been leading the race before dropping back to fourth, and Toledo Christian's Michelle Wright. Pavick, unfortunately, got DQed, which must have been heartbreaking when the stakes are so high. She's just a sophomore, though, so she'll be back next year, carefully and with a vengeance!

Regardless, this was one of the fastest 800 heats in years at Tiffin. Technically 5 girls under 2:20. And, the boys had 5 under 2:00! The temperature was very nice for running, which may have contributed to impressive distance times.

Erin, I'm not trying to argue but this is what I saw. I know it doesn't change anything, but from my vantage point at the finish line it appeared a bit different that what you describe.

Anyway, from my perspective the little gal with blue uniform with an M on it is the one that fell first. It looked like to me that she had actually gotten by the Bluffton girl just before the finish line, and inso doing took a step to the inside of the track into the path of the Bluffton runner and the other two runners behind her. The little "M girl" fell down directly ON the finish line but in front of the other runners causing them all to fall on/over her as they tried to finish the race. I'm not sure the Bluffton girl actually went all the way down, but the others sure did and I know at one point there were four girls on the track. The King girl from Archbold helped at least two of the girls to their feet and the Bluffton girl helped the "M-girl" up after a few moments. The officials at the finish line were dumb-founded at the whole situation but luckily nobody was seriously hurt.

The finals in Columbus will be a dandy... with four girls coming in under 2:18 and a bunch more in the 2:18's. I actually look for a break-out pack of five or six runners prior to the cut-in, as the runners will try to avoid any home-stretch disaster. It's gonna be fun! It's going to be hard to beat the Archbold girl if it's close in the final 200. Plus, being in lane 8 at the start she'll have the advantage of running clean to the cut-in. I'm getting chills just thinking about it...!

Edited by DAWG_ALICIOUS, 01 June 2011 - 03:42 PM.

You get to the NEXT level only by being successful at the CURRENT one. Play today's game first, enjoy the victory, then and only then, look ahead!

#23 SportsGranny

All District

• Members
  • 311 posts

Member No.: 5950

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

The little gal, Erin Pavick, from Cortland Maplewood, was the one disqualified in the 800 meter race. Her 4 x 4 team did not finish. (Not sure what happened there.) Her 4 x 8 team placed 7th. Not a good day for Erin. I am so glad she is not a senior and she has another chance. I absolutely hate it when things like that happen. Dropping a baton is even WORSE! It's a nightmare!! I wish Erin all the luck in the world next year!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users