Tim Pollitz

21 replies to this topic

#1 PCalum

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 4303

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

What's he doing these days? Playing any hoops or working 9-5?

He should have been good enough to earn some jack over seas.

#2 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Article from the Defiance Crescent back in December

http://www.crescent-news.com/news/article/4489573

OTTAWA -- On the basketball floor Tim Pollitz guarded many players now in the NBA, including LeBron "King" James.

Now he's focused on the "king of kings."

"Kids today don't know how Jesus works in their lives, they don't know how God is relevant to what they do every day," said the former Ottawa-Glandorf High School and Miami University of Ohio standout. "They're all about instant gratification. I was just like them."

Pollitz, son of Rev. Ken and Linda Rae Pollitz of Ottawa, will be special guest for the Putnam County YMCA youth overnight lock-in, which runs Dec. 28 at 7 p.m. until Dec. 29 at 7 a.m. He will also be guest preacher at New Creation Lutheran Church in Ottawa on Jan. 4 at 10 a.m.

"Going to Sunday school and church every week was something ingrained in me since childhood," he said. "I grew up in a Christian home and was also a pastor's kid. Looking back, I went through the motions. I attended church youth events and everything else."

The real spiritual turning point came during his junior year in college.

"We had just finished a great season, won the MAC championship and competed well in the NCAA tournament. But I didn't feel satisfied, even at that high level. For the first time in my life, I needed something more than basketball and having a good time."

A friend gave him the book, The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.

"That book helped me realize that there's real truth in the cross and the resurrection. Up until then, I had been a doubting Thomas. Faith was in my head, but not in my heart. Basketball was my king, not Jesus."

"It didn't take long to figure out that if I wasn't following Christ and letting him live in my heart, I was wasting my life."

Pollitz, a 2004 alumnus of Ottawa-Glandorf, earned his college degree in sports studies earlier this year. He garnered a variety of awards over the years, including winning the Miami men's basketball team's Jamie Mercurio Award, given to the player who exemplifies courage, determination and perseverance.

"We played a rugged non-conference schedule, teams like Kansas (last year's national champion), Louisville, Illinois, Xavier and Cincinnati," said Pollitz. "A lot of guys I played against are in the NBA."

Pollitz was also active in Campus Crusade and Athletes in Action. The latter took him, along with his brother, Eric, to Colorado for the Ultimate Training Experience and overseas to Taiwan as part of a mission trip with an Athletes in Action Division I basketball team.

"I really enjoyed my college years, and I had even planned on playing basketball overseas this year. I received a lot of calls (from foreign teams), but I started to see the business side. I wanted to witness for Christ."

Pollitz, who is presently living at home, is involved in leading a Wednesday night Bible study for high school boys at New Creation Lutheran Church, pastored by his father. He is currently employed by Athletic Alliance LLC, a Marysville sports company based on Christian values.

"Witnessing to youth is harder than guarding LeBron James (something he did in high school)," he admitted. "Every kid has a different background and it's such a tough, critical age. You have to listen to each one's story and allow God to do the rest."

He still makes frequent trips back to Miami to see his girlfriend and watch his brother play (his twin, Eric, still has a year of playing eligibility). But he's no longer the same person.

"I'm trying to tell people this is who I am," said Pollitz. "When you accept Christ, he lives in you. You're not perfect, but you try to live your life for the Lord."

He acknowledged that his future career may be full-time ministry.

"That's my passion, working with kids and sharing my testimony. That's who I am. I was lost for many years, but God had me in his arms the entire time."

#3 67Chevy

All State

• Members
  • 801 posts

Member No.: 2224

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Speaking of the Pollitz's, unfortunately Eric sustained a season-ending knee injury last week at Ohio University....sad ending to what had turned out to be a pretty good senior season.

#4 Bandido

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Member No.: 99

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

You won't hear me praising many athletes of today as role models. But after reading what Mr. Pollitz is doing with his life today what more needs to be said than, there's a great Role Model for today's youth.
The rumors around my hometown about Tim and Eric have always been nothing but class are the fact that those two young men are true gentlemen. My hats off to those guys and the O-G hardcore fan base must be very, very proud of these two extraordinary individuals ...............................Just great stuff and true winners on and off the court !!!!!!!! thumbup1.gif

#5 Easton

All State

• Members
  • 832 posts

Member No.: 4634

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

Last time I saw him he was in his mom & dad's backyard sandbagging and gassing up a generator. That was in February

#6 D.adhem

• Members
  • 10 posts

Member No.: 5126

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

Charlie Ward. a better passer is a given, but IDK about a runner as Ward wasnt a bruiser as Tim Tebow is. Plus as a starter he only lost 2 games, and that Notre Dame game FSU could have won probably my personal G.O.A.T. game

#7 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (D.adhem @ Oct 27 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Charlie Ward. a better passer is a given, but IDK about a runner as Ward wasnt a bruiser as Tim Tebow is. Plus as a starter he only lost 2 games, and that Notre Dame game FSU could have won probably my personal G.O.A.T. game

Do some post just make you say...HUH???...sorry D.adhem........could not resist...but I think you may have posted in the wrong thread, unless there is something I am missing here...anyway...welcome to the Rocketcorner!!!

#8 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (D.adhem @ Oct 27 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

?????????????

For what it's worth Tim's twin brother Eric is currently living and working in Ottawa and coaching the Ottawa Elementary 7th grade team. That is quite a get when you have a guy who played division I basketball coaching in your system at the younger ages.

#9 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

I've heard that Tim is going to be the varsity assistant for the OG girls team this season.

#10 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (doughash @ Oct 29 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard that Tim is going to be the varsity assistant for the OG girls team this season.

well, that would seem to be a definite upgrade............it's nice to see both of them back in the area contributing to their former school.......zooom
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#11 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (doughash @ Oct 29 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the fortunes of the Lady Titans continue to head downhill, Tim maybe should become the head coach. Something is definitely wrong with this program at the present time. Can't put my finger on it, but this program has really fallen on hard times since the 2004-2005 season when it went 24-1.

#12 Losangeles

All League

• Members
  • 46 posts

Member No.: 3709

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hey Dakota, the current problem is not the coaching. My "guess" is that the talent pool has dropped off since the 24 - 1 season of 2004 - 05.

#13 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Dakota Green @ Dec 17 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't put my finger on it, but this program has really fallen on hard times since the 2004-2005 season when it went 24-1.

in 05-06 the Lady Titans finished 17-6 and 1st place in the WBL
in 06-07 they finished 21-3 with another regional berth

I would guess that the lack of talent has more to do with their lack of success the past two seasons.........
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#14 H.S. sports guru

All District

• Members
  • 201 posts

Member No.: 5443

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Rocketman @ Dec 18 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in 05-06 the Lady Titans finished 17-6 and 1st place in the WBL
in 06-07 they finished 21-3 with another regional berth

I would guess that the lack of talent has more to do with their lack of success the past two seasons.........

Same here, Lori Smith has done a wonderful job as head coach over the years, It's just too bad the current teams can't find some strong senior leadership and a decent roster to work with violin.gif

#15 RWB 71

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Member No.: 414

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

If O-G would decide to "part ways" with Lori I'm pretty sure her alma mater would find a coaching spot for her at PH! wink.gif

#16 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (RWB 71 @ Mar 27 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If O-G would decide to "part ways" with Lori I'm pretty sure her alma mater would find a coaching spot for her at PH! wink.gif

In a heartbeat!!!!!

Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#17 bennyg

All League

• Members
  • 90 posts

Member No.: 928

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

You cant expect the girls to be good if they dont practice. Coach Smith cant make them put in the extra time, they have to do that on there own. Some of the girls didnt even pick up a ball in the summer. You cant blame Lori for that. How many of the girls on this years team is going on and playing at collage next year? 1 maybe 2 ? Tim did help out alot this year, but Coaching girls is different than boys. I hope he sticks around, he would be a good Role Model for all the kids at school.

Edited by bennyg, 31 March 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#18 DAWG_ALICIOUS

All State

• Members
  • 734 posts

Member No.: 5533

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'm sorry, I usually don't call people names, but anybody from Ottawa who is NOT a fan of Lori Smith on the sidelines of the Ottawa-Glandorf girls basketball program is an idiot. That's right... an idiot. This lady is a class act all the way through. She absolutely LOVES what she is doing, she LOVES the girls on her teams, and she LOVES the sport of basketball.

If you don't believe me, sit behind the bench sometime and listen to her. She is passionate about the game and the girls. She is well schooled on the x's and o's and she never misses an opportunity to coach these young sponges-of-emotion called high school girls. If they don't take advantage of it they are missing a great opportunity in their young lives to learn from someone that can talk the talk AND walk the walk.

If the O-G people are completely brain dead and want to replace her... GREAT! We'll make a deal with Kalida to take back what we have of theirs and we'll "settle" for a true teaching professional like you folks currently have in Ottawa.

DAWG!

Edited by DAWG_ALICIOUS, 04 April 2010 - 12:35 PM.

You get to the NEXT level only by being successful at the CURRENT one. Play today's game first, enjoy the victory, then and only then, look ahead!

#19 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (DAWG_ALICIOUS @ Apr 4 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, I usually don't call people names, but anybody from Ottawa who is NOT a fan of Lori Smith on the sidelines of the Ottawa-Glandorf girls basketball program is an idiot. That's right... an idiot. This lady is a class act all the way through. She absolutely LOVES what she is doing, she LOVES the girls on her teams, and she LOVES the sport of basketball.

If you don't believe me, sit behind the bench sometime and listen to her. She is passionate about the game and the girls. She is well schooled on the x's and o's and she never misses an opportunity to coach these young sponges-of-emotion called high school girls. If they don't take advantage of it they are missing a great opportunity in their young lives to learn from someone that can talk the talk AND walk the walk.

If the O-G people are completely brain dead and want to replace her... GREAT! We'll make a deal with Kalida to take back what we have of theirs and we'll "settle" for a true teaching professional like you folks currently have in Ottawa.

DAWG!

Dawg what you have said may be true, but from what I have heard from a number of people not just a couple, but perhaps close to fifty to seventy five is that even though Lori Smith is a passionate and caring coach and wants to win , she basically rubs people the wrong way. She berates players, nothing wrong with that when it is warranted, but she doesn't know when to stop. Again I have heard that some of her antics are starting to wear thin with some of the fans and some of the powers to be. I think if she doesn't modify some of her on and off court behavior mostly off is that she will burn herself out and get out coaching altogether. You can only beat your head up against the wall so many times and then you either have to stop or take stock on why things that you think should work don't and change or modify accordingly. In reality she ought to talk to Dave Sweet about making changes as far as coaching goes. Dave would not have and he will tell you this that he had to change in some of his dealings with various items regarding coaching or he would have had to give it up in the mid nineties. Again when he made some changes, his coaching career took off. It did not hurt by the way that the talent pool was there ie Ryan Maag, Todd and Brad Schumaker, the Pollitz twins etc. However he would not have had the success he had over a ten year period if he didn't take stock in what was working and what was not. I believe if Lori Smith would benefit from something along the same lines, and maybe the program would start to blossom again and be the power it was about 5-6 years ago. On a personal note from what I have seen from her is that she is stubborn as a mule. Again there is nothing wrong with that, but kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life. And from what I have seen and heard she could use a little kindness.

#20 DAWG_ALICIOUS

All State

• Members
  • 734 posts

Member No.: 5533

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

DG: I'll give you all of that. I truly will, and I have seen exactly what you are talking about. Heck, even I rub people the wrong way sometimes... if you can actually believe THAT!

But seriously, I think the biggest problem with people vs Lori is that people don't choose to understand the passion. They want their athlete to succeed, but they don't want them to get their feelings hurt while doing it. This discussion is so closely related to that thread from a month or so ago about why programs are "down" versus "up". Girls or boys, it doesn't matter. You talk about berating players, I could tell you some doozies that have come out of the mouths of legendary coaches from all over NW Ohio that would make you just roll your eyes in disbelief. The good players keep getting better, the others let it affect them. The good players tell their parents to "shut up", the rest of the players tell their parents to "speak up". It's as simple as that.

Do you think maybe the fact that Lori is a bit... "man-ly" for lack of a better word has something to do with it? I do. This was the same with a very successful coach from a number of years ago at Defiance... AND the one they currently have. It rubs people the wrong way and they become blind to the positives a coach brings. When this happens, it's like a snowball running down hill.

I'm NOT saying Lori is infallible because NO coach is. I can give you objectively formulated "negatives" of many coaches around the area both girls and boys. It just goes with the territory. Do I agree with coaches making these comments... NO. Does it cross the "line" sometimes... absolutely! But good coaches not only have to figure out ways to coach basketball to young players, they also have to know how to play the political bull crap game brought on by the parents. Some are better at it than others, and when a team is not winning it increases the difficulty of being successful.

Heck, ALL coaches at ALL levels need mentoring at ALL stages of their careers. The greatest coaches in the game have someone they look to for advice and counsel. Did you hear the comments Coach K from Duke made about Bob Night? This is heavy stuff. Do I need to ask if Bob Night has ever done anything wrong? And did you see the actions of Huggins? Do you think that changed the opinions of some of the Huggins-haters out there the way he cradled his injured player on a world stage with no regard to anyone's opinion about anything he's ever done wrong? I do. In the minds of parents and fans, I think all coaches are just one game or one season away from immortality... and only one play or one comment away from total obscurity. This is a shame!

Edited by DAWG_ALICIOUS, 06 April 2010 - 12:33 PM.

You get to the NEXT level only by being successful at the CURRENT one. Play today's game first, enjoy the victory, then and only then, look ahead!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users