Boise State Football (Big Offer)

9 replies to this topic

#1 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Member No.: 1648

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

Did you guys see this? It's been in several sports sites this week.

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.
So far, no one has bit.

UGAdawg..out!
Proud Dad to Wildfire, 18 year old girl's BMX Champion and member of Team USA

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#2 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

I wish OSU would drop someone and take them up on that offer. Miami and Boise State would be a great start to a schedule.

#3 Duh Huh Dull Sucks

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Member No.: 3689

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Ohio State schedules so far in advance, it wouldn't be until about 2016 that they would be able to play. I know they have home-and-home's scheduled with Oklahoma, Miami and Tennessee in the coming years, just to name a few. They have a contract with the MAC to play a MAC team (I believe only Ohio teams) every year, and I think I heard something about a contract with the PAC 10 to guarantee playing one of their top schools every year on kind of a "flex scheduling" basis so that they don't pick up Arizona when they are good and get stuck with them when they bite. Sort of like being guaranteed a game with a team that finishes in the PAC 10 top 4 or something. Not for sure on that last one, though.

#4 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Member No.: 1648

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

I just see where the Corn Huskers have an open dates in 2010 and 2011 put turned down the Boise State offer. Too bad they can't get a big time team to take the offer.

UGAdawg..out!
Proud Dad to Wildfire, 18 year old girl's BMX Champion and member of Team USA

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#5 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:41 AM

They've beaten Pac 10 members Oregon the past 2 years.....home and away
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#6 RWB 71

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Member No.: 414

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

It's official..................Boise State is leaving the WAC for the Moutain West Conference which should give them a little improvement in strength of schedule, t.v. exposure, and dollars.

#7 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Duh Huh Dull Sucks @ Nov 7 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohio State schedules so far in advance, it wouldn't be until about 2016 that they would be able to play. I know they have home-and-home's scheduled with Oklahoma, Miami and Tennessee in the coming years, just to name a few. They have a contract with the MAC to play a MAC team (I believe only Ohio teams) every year, and I think I heard something about a contract with the PAC 10 to guarantee playing one of their top schools every year on kind of a "flex scheduling" basis so that they don't pick up Arizona when they are good and get stuck with them when they bite. Sort of like being guaranteed a game with a team that finishes in the PAC 10 top 4 or something. Not for sure on that last one, though.

I missed this when it was posted for some reason. But I had heard in the past that OSU legally has to play an in state team every year. Usually they play a 2nd MAC team, or else they'll pick up another no name from like the Sun Belt or the WAC. I never heard anything about the Pac 10 deal, and a lot of years they don't play a Pac 10 team. In fact the next one they do play is in 2012(Cal) on a home and home.

But they do have home and homes scheduled with Miami, Cal, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee in the next 10 years. They also have an open slot in 2011. I wish they'd fill that with a quality school instead of another easy win that doesn't really help them.

My ideal schedule for the Buckeyes would look something like this: Toledo, Boise State, Arizona, Oklahoma. Basically, schedule the one scrub from in state, then play one of the top mid majors, a lower tier BCS conference school, then the 1 big name. I think it would prepare them a lot better for their bowl games, and the top mid majors and lower BCS schools still shouldn't give them too many problems most years(especially when the game is at the Shoe). But since it's all about money and the easy wins, this will never happen.

#8 JAB

All State

• Members
  • 947 posts

Member No.: 410

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

OSU plays in state schools because its tradition and it keeps revenue from those games in the state. I think they should be playing Cincinnati every year since their in a BCS conference now.

#9 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (JAB @ Jun 17 2010, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OSU plays in state schools because its tradition and it keeps revenue from those games in the state. I think they should be playing Cincinnati every year since their in a BCS conference now.

Agree with that.

#10 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

dhsdawg,

In state SCRUB. Tressel would never use such words. Why, he respects other programs for their efforts.

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users