79 replies to this topic

#41 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (knightmare07 @ Oct 15 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good win Toffee. At least it wasn't Ada again ha ha ha (just kidding formercoach)

Boooo! smile.gif

I honestly am glad to see VB back up top. Makes the whole league stronger.

#42 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Member No.: 2307

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

A strong NCOSA in NW Ohio Soccer is a VERY good thing whether you like the teams or not.

#43 Warrior4

All District

• Members
  • 348 posts

Member No.: 1177

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Saw the game tonight..

Tropf vs Grant

Grants first goal defined how deadly he can be when he wants to be.. Looked like Torres, received the ball with his back facing the goal and turned and put it in the corner side netting.

Tropfs goal came from an off side position that wasn't called because the ref couldn't keep up with play.. He slotted it near post that wasn't covered completely.

Grants second goal came from a brillant pass from Kellar and slotted it away.

Tropf had another chance that he created on his own.. he received the ball with two defenders on him.. beat the defenders with power and control and went one on one with Beck.. Tropf shot right at Beck wasting the chance

If I would base POY off this game I would go with Grant.. Tropf didn't involve himself as much as he needed too this game.. there was a lot of times where I saw him walking...

... My travel and Club coaches used to say, you know who your best players are because they always want the ball when the game is on the line...
Victory Through Harmony- AFC

#44 fouledout

All League

• Members
  • 24 posts

Member No.: 3849

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

Well said Warrior4. I was very unimpressed with Tropfs performance. I dont know how a player that doesn't have that crazy sense about him to want that ball more than anything else can be deserving of POY. On the other hand Grant had that trait. VERY VERY good game for Grant. Good win Falcons!

#45 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Member No.: 5192

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Vbwatcher @ Sep 30 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definately agree with that....i can remember Vb having amazing defenders in there wonder years.....ada had them ft.jennings had them riverdales had them, sorry i cant remember any of the names on ada or ft.jennings just remember there being some very good defense on those teams

Vb had

Kaughman
Brown
Hassink
Reynolds
McMurray
Depuy

Riverdales had
Matt Vogel
Keith Vogel
Josh Vogel
Josh Etherton

Any one of those boys should have been worthy on being player of the year. (List some more names please), but yes to your point formercoach Defenders have gotten screwed in that area, I think we need some change

#46 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

I think Bobby Grant should of been included in that as well, he also was a very good defender.

#47 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Warrior4 @ Oct 15 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw the game tonight..

Tropf vs Grant

Grants first goal defined how deadly he can be when he wants to be.. Looked like Torres, received the ball with his back facing the goal and turned and put it in the corner side netting.

Tropfs goal came from an off side position that wasn't called because the ref couldn't keep up with play.. He slotted it near post that wasn't covered completely.

Grants second goal came from a brillant pass from Kellar and slotted it away.

Tropf had another chance that he created on his own.. he received the ball with two defenders on him.. beat the defenders with power and control and went one on one with Beck.. Tropf shot right at Beck wasting the chance

If I would base POY off this game I would go with Grant.. Tropf didn't involve himself as much as he needed too this game.. there was a lot of times where I saw him walking...

... My travel and Club coaches used to say, you know who your best players are because they always want the ball when the game is on the line...

#48 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Wanted to see a good game, wasn't disapointed. Grant is deadly.

#49 ToffeeMan

All State

• Members
  • 713 posts

Member No.: 2630

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (standalone @ Oct 16 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Bobby Grant should of been included in that as well, he also was a very good defender.

Bobby was a huge mismatch for other teams due to his attacking abilities from the back as well. Great dribbler & had a murderous shot. Now he has a fantastic, giant beard to go along with his other qualities too biggrin.gif

Edited by ToffeeMan, 16 October 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#50 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

A lot of those defenders played when there were some fantastic offensive players in the league. The issue with me is how often do they help you "win" games? More so than the offensive guys? I can honestly say that I have never had a defender who won us as many games as my top offensive guys from year to year. Sometimes we rode those offensive guys far as they could carry us. Should defenders get more notice on All League results? Yep. PLayer of the year? Likely not. Goalkeepers would have the best chance.

#51 Warrior4

All District

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Another player that could be up for POY is Riverdales Keeper Beck. 10 clean sheets this year and the best keeper in northwest ohio by far.. Should be interesting on how the voting goes tomorrow. Good luck to all players in the running!

#52 baller93

All District

• Members
  • 107 posts

Member No.: 4941

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

i agree, 10 shutouts out of 15 games is simply amazing jawdrop.gif

#53 bigreport

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 5092

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

shutouts also should go to the defense because the goalie cant stop everything, and if the defense can keep the shots to a bare minimum then it makes the goalie look that much better.

#54 Warrior4

All District

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

True in a lot of cases but he had his work cut out for him this year. His clean sheets didnt come easy.

#55 Billwouldrather

All District

• Members
  • 411 posts

Member No.: 2710

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

Beck is okay.

Regular season shutouts against Mohawk are not a big woo hoo. We'll see come tournament time.

#56 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (bigreport @ Oct 18 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shutouts also should go to the defense because the goalie cant stop everything, and if the defense can keep the shots to a bare minimum then it makes the goalie look that much better.

#57 standalone

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

I think defense players are the key to the game, Beck is good but Ben Thomas was better. YOU have to have a strong defense. Those boys back there work their buts off. And its the forwards that get the glory. But the bottom line is it takes a team to win a game.

#58 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Just curious....Does Bobby Grant play for a travel team in the spring? If so, who?
"Not All Pain is Gain"

#59 Billwouldrather

All District

• Members
  • 411 posts

Member No.: 2710

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Theodore @ Oct 18 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious....Does Bobby Grant play for a travel team in the spring? If so, who?

Bobby is an alumni that got brought into the conversation talking about defenders.

Jon Grant is the current player. But I am unaware if he plays, I think he plays baseball though. Jon is a very good baseball player also.

Edited by Billwouldrather, 18 October 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#60 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Billwouldrather @ Oct 18 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bobby is an alumni that got brought into the conversation talking about defenders.

Jon Grant is the current player. But I am unaware if he plays, I think he plays baseball though. Jon is a very good baseball player also.

My apologies to Jon! (and Bobby...) Thank you.
"Not All Pain is Gain"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users