UNOH Soccer

8 replies to this topic

#1 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

While I am pleased to see the soccer teams doing well, why so many foreign players? I heard how they were doing, checked the rosters, and saw 3 players on two teams are US born players. I know this is a practice especially in NAIA teams, but I'd love to see more local kids playing collegiately.

#2 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Member No.: 8966

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

That's what it'll be as long as they have that emphasis. They hired a coach from Lindsay Wilson. That's all Lindsay Wilson did/does. It won't change unless the administration wants it to change. The same happened when they started their women's program at UNOH.

While it is often attributed to NAIA, it happens in ALL divisions regardless of affiliation. If a coach/department wants to do it, they will. International players have increased big time in DI even. The look to international recruiting is probably based on numerous reasons. I imagine it comes down to competitiveness -- more coaches/programs are suggesting to be more competitive, international players are needed.
"Mama said the pistol was the Devil's right hand." -- Johnny Cash

#3 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

Which saddens me, as more and more spots are taken away from American players. Granted, some will say "Well they need to work harder!"....which I agree with, BUT I can see the flip side happening if kids become aware that they may not have a chance to play at the next level due to Internationals...

#4 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

And...in my experience, American youth soccer players need to get away from "playing" and get more to "competing."

Many times, American youth soccer players have a hard time taking the step to the next level. I don't believe it's as present in other sports...if someone gets recruited, they'll typically go play basketball/football/baseball. Soccer on the other hand, is still somewhat of a leisure activity.

#5 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostOSH, on 19 November 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

Many times, American youth soccer players have a hard time taking the step to the next level. I don't believe it's as present in other sports...if someone gets recruited, they'll typically go play basketball/football/baseball. Soccer on the other hand, is still somewhat of a leisure activity.
Simple: In American sports, who gets paid and shown on TV? If American soccer players were getting paid the same as NFL, MLB and NBA players, there'd be an influx of talent focussing on the beautiful game. At the current state, though, if a kid is professionally-talented good at multiple sports, why not go after the sport that potentially pays more? Until MLS begins paying players more, or foreign clubs consistently recruit/sign Americans, it is what it is.

#6 futebolfan

All District

• Members
  • 225 posts

Member No.: 3972

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostHagen, on 20 November 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Simple: In American sports, who gets paid and shown on TV? If American soccer players were getting paid the same as NFL, MLB and NBA players, there'd be an influx of talent focussing on the beautiful game. At the current state, though, if a kid is professionally-talented good at multiple sports, why not go after the sport that potentially pays more? Until MLS begins paying players more, or foreign clubs consistently recruit/sign Americans, it is what it is.

That is one way to look at it, but another is to look at the potential to become a paid "professional" earlier in life playing soccer than the other American sports. In most cases, you have to go to college first before earning a paycheck. Soccer is one legitimate way to begin collecting pay even before completing the high school-age years of a player's life.

Now, is it very likely? No. But, how likely in general is it for anyone to become a professional athlete? This is a very fascinating, yet complicated subject.

In regards to UNOH and other universities specifically, I wholeheartedly agree with OSH. Comes down to the administration and what they're comfortable with/what they want to promote.

#7 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

I don't buy that one bit. If that were the case, then why do we have any other sports? There should only be 3 sports and no others because that's where the paycheck is. Meh...overused excuse for not playing soccer at a higher level. If it's all about the money, then we'd never have low paying jobs...why do people seek to be teachers when they are 6th graders? It's not about the high paycheck...

I was a kid growing up and "big-time money" is never a reason why I wanted to be a professional soccer player. At no time have I ever heard anyone say that's the case. To me, it has nothing to do with "talent focusing on the beautiful game." There's all kinds of talent that's already present...they sometimes just don't take it to the next level.

#8 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

You mean, until there is more of a revenue stream to pay them.....
Fact is, soccer is an afterthought in the US

#9 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

UNOH is doing the same thing with baseball. Lots of Dominican players-not many U. I think it is turning the local players off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users