Bub Lindeman of Jefferson resigns

46 replies to this topic

#21 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

The Delphos Herald announced that the Board of Ed. had accepted the resignations. They mentioned his career record and did not even have a kind word of thanks as they moved on to the next item. I think that this is getting interesting and feel sad for the returning players as they will have to adapt to a new coaching staff.

#22 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Cooper might make sense for Jefferson, as long as we can keep him away from the baseball fields.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#23 BOB

All State

• Members
  • 646 posts

Member No.: 501

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Now that it appears that the decision to step away was mutual it makes you wonder if the boys basketball coach is next. Football has enjoy way more success.

#24 Peter Young

All District

• Members
  • 112 posts

Member No.: 1573

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Time to move on to girls basketball for Lindeman.

#25 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

The word you were looking for BOB...is "enjoyed." ;)

We are very proud of all our athletes and coaches at Jefferson. Using such profound negative logic, one might wonder how the Ada basketball coach was able to hold onto his job this year...? :D But I'm certain that most reasonable minds in Hardin County don't use the success of one program as means to belittle other athletic programs under the same roof...at least I hope not! :huh:

Good luck to Ada coaches, fans, and athletes in the football playoffs and on the hard-court this season. :thumbup1:

I hope our next football coach builds on the success of the program just like what has happened in Ada! :punk:
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#26 effingA

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 9187

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

That was a little to close to home...

#27 bigred55

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Member No.: 3265

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

http://timesbulletin...rticleID=183499

Head coach Bub Lindeman walks away from Jefferson

Several assistants expected to follow suit

11/13/2013 12:02:00 AM

By John Parent

Times Bulletin Sports Editor

sports@timesbulletin.com

DELPHOS - The resignations of a pair of Delphos Jefferson football coaches were offered and accepted by the Jefferson school board on Monday night at the City Schools Board of Education meeting.

Larry "Bub" Lindeman, who has spent the past five seasons as the head coach of the Wildcat varsity football team and assistant coach Ben Rahrig officially stepped down from their posts following the Wildcats loss to Ada in the first round of the playoffs.

Lindeman leaves Jefferson with a 30-21 record over his five-season career.

Jefferson athletics director Chris Sommers noted that both coaches cited family reasons for their decisions to leave and that more resignations from the football coaching staff may be forthcoming.

"Both Bub and Ben said they wanted to spend more time with their families," Sommers said. "There is nothing official at this point on any additional resignations, but the thought is that there are more coming."

The "more coming" is in reference to a pair of long-time assistants in Damon Ulm and Jeff Stant.

"Both of those guys have coached for a long time and they feel like it's time to do something else."

The Wildcats are coming off an outstanding season, though the ending was not what they would have liked. A 9-1 regular season earned them a share of the Northwest Conference championship, the first such season for the Wildcats since 2001.

Lindeman's success at the helm of the 2013 squad earned him conference Coach of the Year honors.

Unfortunately, the season came to a swift end with a second loss to Ada, also at home, in last weekend's opening round of the regional playoffs. Asked if the disappointment of the abrupt end to their tournament run may have influenced the decisions of his coaching staff, Sommers, who also served as an assistant on Lindeman's staff, didn't see the connection. "Not at all. We had a great season," Sommers noted. "We are proud of the kids and proud of the season. Unfortunately, when you get to this point in the year, if you're not the state champion, everyone loses their last game and it's always disappointing, but we are very proud of what we did this season."

Of course, given the success of the team, the longevity of the coaches involved and the group decision to leave at one time, and it's natural to think there may be more to this story, which Sommers acknowledged.

"People see all the coaches leaving at once and they think something's up, but from talking to Bub it seems like a case where they simply had done this for long enough and wanted to move on and do something else for a while, without having this commitment."

While Sommers indicated that he was not surprised by the decisions of his fellow coaches, the timing seems unusual. It's understandable for a head coach to resign early in the off season, as it allows the district to pursue another coach. Assistant coaches, however, often stay on from previous regimes, being more attached to the program than the head coach. They would essentially be awaiting the hire of a new coach before being asked to stay on for next season anyway.

Also curious in this situation is that only two coaches, including Sommers, went into the locker room following Friday night's game.

While no official timetable has been announced as to when the school district will begin the search for a new football coach, Sommers said the job will be offered internally first.

"It's a standard process, really. We'll open the job up to in-house candidates first. If no one currently within our staff (teachers and faculty at Delphos Jefferson), then we would look at outside options."

#28 brunowball

All State

• Members
  • 815 posts

Member No.: 1297

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

You can smell the BS through the monitor coming from that article.

It feels like maybe there was a falling out between coaches and the school. Or parents. Or fans. I could see a coach leaving for family reasons. I can't see all of them just deciding they've had enough at the same time. Unless 'had enough' means had enough of jefferson.

#29 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

3 assistant coaches don't usually resign when the head coach leaves too. something else went on.

#30 BlueJay

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Member No.: 4123

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostColt45, on 13 November 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

3 assistant coaches don't usually resign when the head coach leaves too. something else went on.
:)

'97, '98, '99, '05, '08, '10 Division VI State Champions

#31 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

You can be certain that when and if this story ever comes out the rocket corner will be the first to report it.......
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#32 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

any news on this??

#33 Redskin60

All League

• Members
  • 39 posts

Member No.: 7319

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

I don't believe this has as much to do with what happened on Friday night as with what happened on SATURDAY night. That would be the other team in the city won their game. You know DSJ the #8 seed who was 6-4 in the regular season and needed help to get into the playoffs totally dominating the #1 seed. The whole town was painted Red for Jeffersons "run in the playoffs".... the paint didn't even have time to dry.

Delphos, time to acknowledge the 6 time state champion you have in town. Put the signs up on the highway so people driving by know it is the home of the Blue Jays. What you are doing is praising your idiot son for his 2.00 and ignoring the other child and their 4.00 report cards.

#34 MACman

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Member No.: 9532

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Postcameroncrazie90, on 25 November 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

any news on this??

Was wondering that myself. Have heard rumors (you know how rumors are) that it really did have to do with player 'misconduct' and the coaching staff "looking the other way" in order to keep players on the team. Anyone know what is really true? I find it strange that none of the coaching staff went into the locker room after the loss to Ada in playoffs (or supposedly anyway). Even if you intend to resign, a coach goes in to the locker room after the game for final thoughts with the guys.......just my opinion, not a very supportive coach if you can't handle a loss and ignore the kids afterwards.

#35 Fiery Minx

All League

• Members
  • 33 posts

Member No.: 9425

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm not proclaiming that this is true - without a doubt- but I was told the following from a pretty reliable source:
A. Bub had mentioned last year already that he would be resigning within a year or 2 to spend more time with family.
B. Bub actually resigned immediately following their last game...not on Monday.
C. The coaches wives and families have been taking a lot of crap from "fans" when they don't agree with the plays or coaching in general.
I really hope that "C" is not true. The coaches families have nothing to do with their coaching and if that was going on - I wouldn't blame them for getting out! Sometimes during games emotions run high - but that doesn't excuse running your mouth to make innocent people miserable!

#36 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

I heard that fans heckled him and his coaching staff all year and at the end of the playoff game,he walked up to that section of fans and handed them a letter saying that he and some of his coaches are leaving.

#37 Fiery Minx

All League

• Members
  • 33 posts

Member No.: 9425

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

If that's true Colt45 - all I can say is WOW! They had an AWESOME season! I don't see what there is to complain about! I realize there's some in every crowd but that's crazy....have some respect people!

#38 zip52

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 9177

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

I believe this is a case of a group of close knit coaches deciding to leave the heckling and pressures of coaching behind and spend more time with family or get a break from the stress...they did so in a very classless way, but from everything I have heard this was not expected and took a lot of the administration by surprise (so any internal conflict or incident seems very unlikely). I have also heard that one of the assistants was planning on resigning after this year anyway to be a head coach in a different sport.

Based on what I have been told, I am really upset with the behavior of the coaches. I don't care if it is the fans, the administration, or you just want to spend more time with family...you DO NOT just abandon your players like these coaches did! Not going to the locker room after the game and not sitting your team and explaining that you are leaving is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional. I heard that the players were devastated and angry over hearing the coaches had quit on them...what message does that send to those kids, especially the ones coming back next year!

This situation sounds like it was handled the wrong way by these coaches, even though their reason for qutting is understandable. I feel sorry for the kids involved and hope they find a great coach to do the job next year.

#39 BlueBuckIjays

All State

• Members
  • 520 posts

Member No.: 9539

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

St. Johns has board up outside the high school listing their state championships, that's good enough for me. Some people don't think the city should put it up because that would upset Jefferson fans which is stupid but that's okay. Jefferson has had a very good program for a long time and should be proud. was looking forward to long playoff run by both Delphos teams but Ads also has a good program. I was wondering when I heard about this if St. Johns playoff success this year factored into this. I hope not. Hopefully these coaches really left for right reasons, not pressure from the fans. that being said so many of the coachEd leaving is suspicious. Jim Tressel is available :-)

#40 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

DSJ had nothing to do with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users