Can we please stop!

32 replies to this topic

#1 blldog

All League

• Members
  • 27 posts

Member No.: 375

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I know that everyone is proud of their sons and daughters for going on to play ball at the next level. But can we please stop pretending that kids are "signing" to go to DIV 3 schools. The dog and pony show that we set the table up and put a peice of paper in front of them like they are signing some promisory note is getting old. DIV 3 gives no athletic assistance and therefor needs no "signing" to be done. You are playing DIV 3 ball because you love the game and nothing more respect that and do away with the festivities.

I played at a DIV 3 school as well and just find this to be humorous. The TV stations ask these kids about their recruiting trail and then the kids have to say the same thing everytime. "I liked the school and the coaches seemed real nice and I feel like I am a good fit" Translation --- They were able to get me the most grants and the lowest tuition and I probably wont play after the first season when I find out how much work it is to go play a bunch of schools that most people have never heard of.

Once again for the kids who really love the game, GO FOR IT. Enjoy yourselves and have the time of your life. But lets not make it out to be any more than it is. I know kids from D3 CAN end up going big time but even they just decided to go to that school and work hard. They never had to sign their life away to "commit" to that school.

#2 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

U mad bro?
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#3 PHDigger

All District

• Members
  • 249 posts

Member No.: 2947

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Dang! I was hoping the topic would be "Can we please stop...Driving 40 MPH down a two lane highway and holding up the rest of the world.". That's what I wanna see stopped!

#4 ahsfan8415

All District

• Members
  • 298 posts

Member No.: 5596

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

But yet these kids still got recruited. A lot of these kids are very talented athletes, who may have just not got there name out to higher division schools and have a lot of accolades in their sport. Whether or not they signed a LOI they deserve to be recognized for their accomplishment. If you want to stop something, try to stop being a jackass and act like these kids didn't accomplish something!

#5 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

How about...."Can we please stop being so uptight about things that have absolutely no bearing on us personally?"

Edited by bob22, 18 May 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#6 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postblldog, on 18 May 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

I know that everyone is proud of their sons and daughters for going on to play ball at the next level. But can we please stop pretending that kids are "signing" to go to DIV 3 schools. The dog and pony show that we set the table up and put a peice of paper in front of them like they are signing some promisory note is getting old. DIV 3 gives no athletic assistance and therefor needs no "signing" to be done. You are playing DIV 3 ball because you love the game and nothing more respect that and do away with the festivities.

I played at a DIV 3 school as well and just find this to be humorous. The TV stations ask these kids about their recruiting trail and then the kids have to say the same thing everytime. "I liked the school and the coaches seemed real nice and I feel like I am a good fit" Translation --- They were able to get me the most grants and the lowest tuition and I probably wont play after the first season when I find out how much work it is to go play a bunch of schools that most people have never heard of.

Once again for the kids who really love the game, GO FOR IT. Enjoy yourselves and have the time of your life. But lets not make it out to be any more than it is. I know kids from D3 CAN end up going big time but even they just decided to go to that school and work hard. They never had to sign their life away to "commit" to that school.

You got cut huh? That's a shame....sorry to hear that.
"You're a mess"

#7 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Member No.: 9000

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Sorry guys, although this post does come out a little negative and props to the kids (which he gives). He is kinda right and about 90% of people I talk to agree with this.

#8 Badlands

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Member No.: 3149

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 18 May 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Sorry guys, although this post does come out a little negative and props to the kids (which he gives). He is kinda right and about 90% of people I talk to agree with this.

So u talked to people about this post, in ur math mind 90 % of people u talked to agree with this, Your friend level must be low...CONGRATS to all kids playing on the D3 level.....hold ur head high

#9 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Tell this to Jason Trusnik who played for ONU, and is in the NFL! Some of your stars or hidden gems come from small schools.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Jason_Trusnik
Mr B

#10 ohioguy102474

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Member No.: 509

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

So they're getting a little spotlight. Hurting you any?.... Didn't think so!
Go Bath Wildcats and Wildkittens! Go Ohio State!

#11 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I was thinking perhaps the heat was getting to ppl already, but, we haven't even hit 90 yet....
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#12 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

This is easily one of the most rude topics ever!!! Be happy for the kid who worked hard and is going to play college ball. It's an honor no matter where!! And a step above those who were too lazy to ever try.

#13 jawbreaker

All State

• Members
  • 587 posts

Member No.: 1996

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostMr Bearcat, on 18 May 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Tell this to Jason Trusnik who played for ONU, and is in the NFL! Some of your stars or hidden gems come from small schools.

I didn't know this was such a big deal (talking about the original post). I graduated with a couple guys that got a shot at the NFL but those are few and far between out of the 450 d3 schools. I think there are more d3 guys that get a shot at the pros in baseball than football. Guys like Trusnik, Garcon, Shorts III, Miller, etc. are rare.

It seems like most d3 schools (non top 25) see it as a way to bring kids to their college. They rely on the tuition so much that it is a good way to get a kid at their school. Once they are they, I don't think most schools care if they continue with the program.

#14 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Geez, c'mon......these D3 kids need some loving also......let's just all get along.....if you know a D3 aflete, give him a big hug....nothing more, just a big hug!!!!!

#15 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

I thought stop the MADNESS! OHHH YHEA!

#16 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

RIP MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE

#17 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

This may be one of the best posts I've ever read on this message board. It's about 99% correct. There is no signing at D3, unless you count the application which everyone completes.Fact is, you could probably construct good enough football and basketball teams at places like Ohio State and Bowling Green out of kids who just chose not to continue playing sports or kids who can't afford D3 schools that would be able to beat most D3 teams. Athletic programs at many D3 schools are simply a tool to get kids to come to school. Many schools will happily pay $500-$1,000 per kid for equipment, travel costs, etc in turn for $30,000 - $50,000 tuition per year. That's an easy trade off.

#18 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostMr Bearcat, on 18 May 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

This guy too:

Posted Image
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#19 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostPHDigger, on 18 May 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Dang! I was hoping the topic would be "Can we please stop...Driving 40 MPH down a two lane highway and holding up the rest of the world.". That's what I wanna see stopped!

Or driving 68 in the passing lane with your cruise control on and make no attempt to excelerate to pass anyone...Because we should all drive the same speed as you.

#20 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Div-3 is pay to play. The assistant coaches recruit everybody and anybody, just to see who's parents are willing to pay the big bucks in order to extend their kids "Glory Days" by four years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users