#1 Ottoville (23-0) vs. #2 Arlingon (22-1)

126 replies to this topic

#41 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostPostPlayer, on 05 March 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Quite frankly, I think it swings to Arlignton's favor when Ottoville plays all three bigs at one time. Teams that have had size tend to struggle against us more than guard oriented teams IMO. Size certainly presents issues, don't get me wrong, but if you have size and limited guard play...you can count on your bigs getting very few touches and when they do, the defense collapses and forces a kick out or TO.

It can swing to Arlingtons favor to an extent. But the teams Arlington faced so far are nothing like Ottoville. Size down low and then guards that can hit the 3 ball very well. So they are definitely not a one dimensional team. But so far in tournament their shooting has not been that great. I do see your point and that is very true, but when they do go big, that can also swing to Ottovilles favor on a size advantage. Either way both teams will have matchup problems and it will be interesting to see how both coaches go about this.

Edited by Mysterio, 05 March 2012 - 09:10 AM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#42 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

The girl to watch for O'town is Bendele.....Seifker this, Seifker that....the player that impresses me most is Bendele.....she does it all...very under rated player....in all honesty, the 2 bigs from Ottoville have never really impressed me in big games!!!!!

#43 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View Postflounder, on 05 March 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

The girl to watch for O'town is Bendele.....Seifker this, Seifker that....the player that impresses me most is Bendele.....she does it all...very under rated player....in all honesty, the 2 bigs from Ottoville have never really impressed me in big games!!!!!

You are correct. Seems like a lot of nerves are involved but Bendele is very underrated. She is having a good tournament so far.

Flounder you attending this game?

Edited by Mysterio, 05 March 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#44 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Flounder and Rocketman will both be in the house!!!!!

#45 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Member No.: 2687

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

where & what time is this game being played? does the winner punch their ticket to c-bus?

#46 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postflounder, on 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Flounder and Rocketman will both be in the house!!!!!

Awesome sounds good I will definitely be in attendance as well, which is pretty much a given :sudsy:

View Postcropduster, on 05 March 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

where & what time is this game being played? does the winner punch their ticket to c-bus?

game is at Elida Fieldhouse, 8pm

I think you can make a strong case that the winner would probably win the regional final and advance to C-bus.

Edited by Mysterio, 05 March 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#47 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Siefker will come up huge Thursday night. I will definitely be at this game.

#48 BlueJay

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Member No.: 4123

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostBIG DOG, on 05 March 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

You are talking about her as a freshman and sophmore not playing great. As a junior this will be her 10th tournament game start. The closer the score, the better she has played this year.
Either way, she still hasn't performed well in the tournament this year either.

'97, '98, '99, '05, '08, '10 Division VI State Champions

#49 Bleeds Green & Gold

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 9228

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostBlueJay, on 05 March 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Either way, she still hasn't performed well in the tournament this year either.

I'm not sure what constitutes performing well, but against Jefferson she had at least 16 rebounds, 2 blocks and scored 9pts. With such a balanced team of girls who can on any night score over 10pts it's pretty crazy to think Siefker has to score a boatload of points for her to "perform well".

* first post....been following on rocketcorner since I moved away from Ohio and thought it was about time I register and put my 2 cents in!

#50 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostBleeds Green & Gold, on 05 March 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm not sure what constitutes performing well, but against Jefferson she had at least 16 rebounds, 2 blocks and scored 9pts. With such a balanced team of girls who can on any night score over 10pts it's pretty crazy to think Siefker has to score a boatload of points for her to "perform well".

She also has been struggling on the offensive end inside the paint.

There will be times when Siefker and even the rest of the team will have to perform well on both sides of the court in order to beat certain teams. Arlington is going to be that team. Siefker may get rebounds and some blocks here and there, but she needs to finish them shots inside the paint. She does that Ottoville will be looking good, if not them guards better be on their game. But you are right though, I have seen Siefker struggle in games but the rest of the team balances that out.

Edited by Mysterio, 05 March 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#51 Bleeds Green & Gold

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostMysterio, on 05 March 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

She also has been struggling on the offensive end inside the paint.

There will be times when Siefker and even the rest of the team will have to perform well on both sides of the court in order to beat certain teams. Arlington is going to be that team. Siefker may get rebounds and some blocks here and there, but she needs to finish them shots inside the paint. She does that Ottoville will be looking good, if not them guards better play their best.

I completely agree the whole team needs to play well to win this late in the game, especially against a team like Arlington. Just pointing out that a good performance doesn't always mean scoring lots of points.

#52 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

If Ottoville's guards are scoring it is going to be a long night for Atown....can't let both inside and outside score. Very few teams (maybe Arcadia?) have had good guard play against us in terms of points and Arcadia has the best point guard in the area that can get to the basket and shoot. We shut her down (no FG's) in 2nd half after making an adjustment at half. I suspect the same will be true for this game...got to start there and hope Ottoville's bigs don't kill us. In the meantime, we need to get something around the basket and not just shoot 15 footers. A tougher task than it sounds against a team like Ottoville.
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#53 govikes

All District

• Members
  • 321 posts

Member No.: 4862

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

My 2 cents worth. I have seen Arlington play us twice this year. Saturdays game, Leipsic had way to many unforced turnovers. TO's can be accepted when pressured, but we had way to many to be able to win the game. Arlington is fundamentally sound. They play good defense, and have a share the ball offense looking to pass to the open shot. (I wish LHS boys did that). Newlove seems to be a good coach, will be curious to see how he rebuilds next year as he will lose another valuable class. Ottoville came to our place and I thought we played them well. Granted, they had all ready clinched the PCL so maybe the urgency wasn't there. We had chances to take the lead in the second half, but didn't get it done. Good players on that team also. Just a gut feeling that Kleman has a game plan that proves successful. My pick is Ottoville over Arlington by 5-7 points. Good Luck to both teams.

Edited by govikes, 05 March 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#54 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Member No.: 2524

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Tick, Tick, Tick............Good Luck to both teams! Can't wait GO BIG RED!

#55 milt73

All District

• Members
  • 137 posts

Member No.: 7262

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

This match-up is very interesting on two fronts. Defense v Offense for both teams.

If Arlington is able to get good ball movement and open shots, they could get hot and score a lot of points. On the flipside, O'ville's defense is very underrated. They have 3 kids who can block shots down low, they also have a couple guards that can run with anyone. They did a decent job against Boggs and CO when they played jefferson (please show me a guard who's quicker/faster than Boggs, there isn't one).

O'ville has seen a pressure defense like A's before. Bath and Jefferson come to mind. The key is O'ville has 5+ kids who can score in double figures. If one kid is having an off night, they need to pick up the slack from someone else. Creating TO's is Arlington's MO, but they need to convert points off of TO's to win this game.

If the referee's call it tight it will come down to free throws!

O'ville by 7. But wouldn't be surprised with either team winning.

Edited by milt73, 08 March 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#56 bbref

All District

• Members
  • 139 posts

Member No.: 5687

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Any idea if anyone will be webcasting this game? WFIN has the Findlay boys tonight

#57 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Member No.: 2524

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

WFIN said they were seeing if sister station WKXA would cover it, but I didn't hear if that is going to happen for sure.

#58 Hillstone

All District

• Members
  • 112 posts

Member No.: 5148

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yes 100.5 Findlay has the second game along with 1150 Lima

#59 bvcgrad

All District

• Members
  • 400 posts

Member No.: 2973

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Seen Jefferson a couple times this year and their Defense is not at the same level as Arlingtons. Alivia Recker will be the difference in the game, when she plays up to her potential Lady Devils are very near unbeatable. Good luck to both teams, should be a good one. Lady Devils by 7.

#60 Bleeds Green & Gold

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postbvcgrad, on 08 March 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Seen Jefferson a couple times this year and their Defense is not at the same level as Arlingtons. Alivia Recker will be the difference in the game, when she plays up to her potential Lady Devils are very near unbeatable. Good luck to both teams, should be a good one. Lady Devils by 7.

If you know anything about Ottoville's coaching staff, you know they will not just be playing your regular old run of the mill defenses. They will have something special prepared if Alivia Recker gets hot.

No prediction from me as I don't want to jinx it but all I know is it will be a great game and not one fan on either side will be able to breath until that final buzzer goes off!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users