What has happened to Ottawa-Glandorf girls basketball ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
226 replies to this topic

#221 zoesdaddy

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Member No.: 3052

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

we have covered many og girls basketball games and coach Smith has announced games for us on zsportslive, she is a classy induvidual. anytime a team is losing parents want the coaches ran out of town on a rail...lets remember a few years ago when Bath was number one in the state and played at og, the lady titans knocked them off. its the what have you done for me lately mentality. Good luck to you coach Smith..i know whatever happens with this you will handle it with class and dignity and land on your feet. :thumbup1:
C:\Users\dave\Documents\zsports%20QR%20Code.png

#222 winit4me

All State

• Members
  • 541 posts

Member No.: 142

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Nothing surprises me anymore - parents think they need to run the show everywhere and the sad thing about all of it is that the BOE and AD lets this happen - some people need to get a life! I wish Coach Smith the very best in where ever her path may lead.

#223 ice breaker

All League

• Members
  • 22 posts

Member No.: 2531

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Interesting reading this long thread. Took a while. Summing it up: Coach who has been successful and is very dedicated to the program. She has been known to be very intense. Some parents of up and coming players not too happy with either her coaching philosophy or tactics, not sure from reading this. Coach known to be a very nice person off the court from many supportive comments listed here. There has been some type of video or powerpoint or something of the sort made from game(s)? My question would be, for the AD and Super or BOE or whoever pressured her to talk to the team about if they want her back....what was on the video? Foot stomping, jumping up and down (who cares...see that everywhere and very fun to watch ala Chris Adams specials), "verbal" abuse and/or yelling, name calling (not too professional but known to happen in heat of battles), chair throwing, clip board slamming ala Bobby Knight specials, or did the coach physically handle players in the heat of battle, grabbing jersies, poking player's chest, whatever and to what extent? Did some event cross the line that warranted this action? If not, too bad that Ms. Smith had to leave in this fashion. She put in alot of hard work over the course of her OG coaching career that is to be respected. This could have been handled better is for certain. Hope the best for her if she continues to coach someplace. Hopefully that passion and dedication can be channeled into success at another school. If there was some sort of action on her part that was overboard, lessons can be learned and still coach someplace in a successful manner. We might not ever know, but it's a sad set of circumstances all the way around.

#224 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Ideally after 4 or 5 years this group of players and parents will run it's course through the system and move on. The program will most likely remain mired in mediocrity during this time, and Coach Smith will be asked to return after this sabbatical. She is a dedicated individual and knows the game, maybe some time off will help her regain focus and become refreshed. She is a teacher in the system and hopefully sticks around.

#225 Dflyers

All District

• Members
  • 210 posts

Member No.: 4293

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think she would make a good fit with the University that runs their ad-banner at the top of this page.

#226 titan73

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Member No.: 8903

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I know Coach Smith personally. You will NEVER find another coach who knows the game of basketball like she does and who cares about her TEAM (notice no "I" in TEAM) as much as she does. I agree, too, that it is a sad, sad day when the Superintendent and BOE let a group of parents call the shots. What next, parents hiring and firing teachers (or Superintendents). I hope Superintendent Kevin Brinkman and the BOE are happy, because they have just opened up a HUGE can of worms that are going to keep INFESTING the sports programs and other aspects of the school district. Way to go folks!!!!

Edited by titan73, 31 March 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#227 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

OK it's a done deal coach Smith has resigned. Maybe someone can start a new thread speculating on who may be the next varsity girls head coach at OG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users