2008 NWC predictions

124 replies to this topic

#1 MikeAllen

All League

• Members
  • 38 posts

Member No.: 3142

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

So who do you think is going to be good and who will help these teams along?

#2 aefan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Member No.: 3164

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

i beleive this will be a good year for nwc baseball. I see Delphos Jefforson LCC and Crestview in the top three spots with a few sleeper teams to be careful of. Paulding was very impressive this past summer in ACME. Allen East also improved this summer. They have a strong senior Trio of pitcher Nathan Swaney, All NWC catcher Curtis Yetman and the crafty 3rd baseman Tim Copeland. They have a weak point at pitcher though. They only run About three deep. That wont cut it against teams like LCC and DJ.

#3 panther07

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Member No.: 3150

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Paulding has got some issues to deal with before they will be the clear cut best team in the NWC. For starters some think they are all stars and dont need to come to the open gyms when they are held. Then some players think of themselves before the TEAM!!

#4 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Member No.: 1160

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(panther07 @ Jan 11 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paulding has got some issues to deal with before they will be the clear cut best team in the NWC. For starters some think they are all stars and dont need to come to the open gyms when they are held. Then some players think of themselves before the TEAM!!

Would have to agree with you on this one. My sources have also hinted at this. To me it seems they are banking on there summer success, and dont think they need to put in the time or effort. To me good teams dont settle for being just good, they continue to work hard to become great teams. wallbash.gif

Edited by PHS9610, 12 January 2008 - 02:25 AM.

#5 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

1. LCC ( with kottenbrock pitching most conference games they will be tough)
1b. Crestview( young but came together late in the summer, and also have great coaching.)
2.Paulding( Return a good team, and riley should be a good #1 for conference games. Just need to get out of there own way)
2b.Ada( Should be solid again)
2c. DJ( return alot, and they are really starting to turn it around.)
3.Grove
4.Alleneast
5.Spencerville
6.bluffton
7.Lincolnview

I did mine a little different. The 1 teams i feel are the best in the conference, the 2 teams i feel could very easily push for the top spot.I think between those five it could be a good race.

#6 mrclutch

All District

• Members
  • 359 posts

Member No.: 884

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

With NWC football being down (2 playoff teams vs 5 the year before), and basketball being way below last year - will the NWC baseball quality be down also? Who's thinking they are up? Who's down? Who are key losses to replace? How many starters return? How many seniors? Any injuries from basketball season that will affect the diamond? Would like to get the "hot stove" burning - NWC baseball - let's hear from all 10 schools!

#7 ibleedbluengold

All State

• Members
  • 521 posts

Member No.: 1680

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(PHS9610 @ Jan 12 2008, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would have to agree with you on this one. My sources have also hinted at this. To me it seems they are banking on there summer success, and dont think they need to put in the time or effort. To me good teams dont settle for being just good, they continue to work hard to become great teams. wallbash.gif

The turnout for most of the open gyms aren't to bad number wise considering that there are three or four playing basketball and a couple that are wrestiling, some have jobs and can't make it to every session, and one is in a wheelchair, most of the varsity players that aren't in a winter sport are going.

#8 ibleedbluengold

All State

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(mrclutch @ Jan 21 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With NWC football being down (2 playoff teams vs 5 the year before), and basketball being way below last year - will the NWC baseball quality be down also? Who's thinking they are up? Who's down? Who are key losses to replace? How many starters return? How many seniors? Any injuries from basketball season that will affect the diamond? Would like to get the "hot stove" burning - NWC baseball - let's hear from all 10 schools!

IMO:
Contenders,
Paulding - have pitching, hitting and depth, only team to get in their way may be themselves.
LCC - I hear they are young and if something happens to Kottenbrock, then what ?
Jefferson - return alot
Crestview - Always a contender in NWC

Middle of the pack
Ada
Spencerville
Grove

Bringing up the rear
Bluffton
AllenEast
Lincolinview

There are always surprises, injuries, etc that can change things in a hurry, good luck to all teams

#9 ibleedbluengold

All State

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(BOB @ Jan 22 2008, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bleed,

are you picking paulding? when is the last time they have won anything? i doubt they can get it done.

Bob, I think we will contend for the NWC, Paulding used to own the NWC and I do realize that it has been a long, long time since we have done anything, but I think if there is one sport we can be really competitive in it is this one.

I have been involved with these guys for a long time and know what they are capable of and if they put their minds to it and work together they can do it.

#10 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(ibleedbluengold @ Jan 21 2008, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The turnout for most of the open gyms aren't to bad number wise considering that there are three or four playing basketball and a couple that are wrestiling, some have jobs and can't make it to every session, and one is in a wheelchair, most of the varsity players that aren't in a winter sport are going.

At the time i posted that last response, i had just heard that they had 2 kids show up for an open gym. I was also told that they usually got around 6-7 kids on average with 3-4 of them being freshman. So i did a little checking, and from lookin at last years varsity and acme, they could have 8-9 guys there, that arent playing any other sport, and thats not including the wheelchair kid. So to me thats a lack of commiment.
But to add to that i was told that they are now getting a good turn out, some things where said, and the kids are showing up.

#11 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(ibleedbluengold @ Jan 22 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bob, I think we will contend for the NWC, Paulding used to own the NWC and I do realize that it has been a long, long time since we have done anything, but I think if there is one sport we can be really competitive in it is this one.

I have been involved with these guys for a long time and know what they are capable of and if they put their minds to it and work together they can do it.

I agree that we could contend for the NWC, but im not picking us to win. As i said in my earlier post if we stay out of our own way, the sky is the limit for these guys.

#12 cardsfan

All District

• Members
  • 129 posts

Member No.: 865

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

You'll see better numbers at PHS open gyms from here on out. A few of the open gyms were wiped out because of bad weather cancelling school before the holidays so it was hard to keep the momentum going. Also you have a good number of seniors this year, so there's a lot of time being spent looking at colleges as well as working. I believe all the seniors involved are looking at post-high school education which says a lot about this group. Some of them are putting the college time in now so it won't interfere closer to the season. Also, some are doing extra work on their own to get ready outside of open gym time. It's "do or die" time for the PHS baseball seniors. This group (juniors included too) have come a long long way the last few years and they should be proud of how far they've come. Last year (spring) was a real test with plenty of adversity presented in many ways. They came back nicely again last summer, and should be ready this spring. Work hard and keep your eye on the prize guys!

#13 likeitis

All District

• Members
  • 298 posts

Member No.: 3247

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:58 AM

Predicted order of finish for the N.W.C. in 2008:

1. Paulding Gained valuable experience from summer programs. Competes strong with W.B.L.schools. Will play anyone.
2. Crestview Always a solid program. Briggs Orsbon great athlete. Team always solid defensively, very well coached on all levels.
3. Ada Vermillion: Very good hitter. Overlooked because of Dysert, better hitter. Embarrassed outside N.W.C.
4. L.C.C. Kottenbrock, Snyder decent pitchers. Saine, best left handed hitter in league. Shaky defense as a team. Hurting behind the plate.
5. Delphos Jeff. Coach puts in the effort. Battles other sports for player's committment. Will have a couple good pitchers. Growing program.
6. Col. Grove Beautiful facility. Solid young players. Energetic young coach.
7. Allen East Started summer program. Nowhere to play because of new school. One of the best hitters and catchers in the area. No one else.
8. Spencerville Marginal at best. Not a lot of talent. Look for walks, don't swing the bat. Although beat L.C.C. in summer ball.
9. Bluffton Lost Wiebentholer on the mound. Not much else. Need to create interest and build.
10, Lincolnview Lost diamond and best hitter. Coming off marginal season. 07 decent J.V. squad.

#14 gonemad

All State

• Members
  • 597 posts

Member No.: 1372
  • Location:Bashing my head against the wall. How do you think I got this way?

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Seems to me I heard the same talk on here last year from the Paulding faithful....... "great acme run" " return a ton of talent" "poised to make a run at the title" "great leadership" "valueable experience"........... Don't get me wrong, I think the Panthers could be a very good team this year but their traditionally slow start always kills them. If the Panthers get rolling early in the conference preseason they have a shot. If however they start as slow as normal a 4th or 5th place league finish is in their future. The leagueis wide open this year with five teams having a legitimate shot at the crown a three others with an outside chance. The conference champ could have 2 league losses this year and I would not be surprised in the least to see a tie for the crown.

#15 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(BOB @ Jan 27 2008, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
likeitis,

Paulding will play anyone? maybe that is because they are twice the size of every school in the conference and should be playing the wbl schools. If you added back your open enrollment to other districts you would be a solid division II (212 boys) when has this team competed against the wbl well? Paulding always has the most talent in the nwc in baseball. when is the last time they won it?

Just wanted to respond on the wbl part, they usually do compete well. Just the last two years that i can recall, Defiance ,had them beat 2 years ago but ran out of pitching, and played in a sloppy error filled game last year. OG , they play them in double header ever year, and the last two years have lost all four, but gave away all four, including a 5 run lead in the 7th last year. Vanwert, split the last two years, but shoud have won both, celina is also double headers, they are 1-3, but should have been 2-2. Shawnee there 0-2 but again should be 1-1 if not 2-0, they again gave up a 5 run lead in the 7th last year. Elida is the only school that has really crushed them the last few years. I know there are alot of ifs, but i was at alot of those games, and seen them blow them first hand.
Now i wouldnt say they allways have the most talent in the NWC. In the last few years id say maybe twice in the last 5-7 years were they most talented.Lcc , crestview, ada, alot of teams have been more talented then paulding.

#16 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(gonemad @ Jan 27 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems to me I heard the same talk on here last year from the Paulding faithful....... "great acme run" " return a ton of talent" "poised to make a run at the title" "great leadership" "valueable experience"........... Don't get me wrong, I think the Panthers could be a very good team this year but their traditionally slow start always kills them. If the Panthers get rolling early in the conference preseason they have a shot. If however they start as slow as normal a 4th or 5th place league finish is in their future. The leagueis wide open this year with five teams having a legitimate shot at the crown a three others with an outside chance. The conference champ could have 2 league losses this year and I would not be surprised in the least to see a tie for the crown.

I couldnt have said it any better then that. I was one that had high hopes for them after there summer run, but like you said i told all the panther faithfull, about avoiding a rought start. Its a tough schedule to start out, and when they start out slow, it just seems to drag them down. I to think it a five team race, as stated in my previous post. It should be an interesting one.

#17 gonemad

All State

• Members
  • 597 posts

Member No.: 1372
  • Location:Bashing my head against the wall. How do you think I got this way?

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

Did Bogart graduate from Grove or is he senior this year?

#18 baseballfan1

All State

• Members
  • 661 posts

Member No.: 9

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(gonemad @ Jan 27 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems to me I heard the same talk on here last year from the Paulding faithful....... "great acme run" " return a ton of talent" "poised to make a run at the title" "great leadership" "valueable experience"...........

I graduated in 2000, and I remember hearing the exact same things. Never quite worked out for the Panthers.

Sorry to get off-topic, but thinking about Paulding back when I played reminds me of a pitcher they had who was very good. Not sure about the name, but I think it might have been Fisher or something close to that. He would have graduated in 99 or 00. Not a big kid, but could throw the hell out of the ball. Does anyone know who I'm thinking of, and did he play anywhere in college?

#19 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(baseballfan1 @ Jan 27 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I graduated in 2000, and I remember hearing the exact same things. Never quite worked out for the Panthers.

Sorry to get off-topic, but thinking about Paulding back when I played reminds me of a pitcher they had who was very good. Not sure about the name, but I think it might have been Fisher or something close to that. He would have graduated in 99 or 00. Not a big kid, but could throw the hell out of the ball. Does anyone know who I'm thinking of, and did he play anywhere in college?

His name was Joe fisher, and he was pretty good, i think he graduated in 98. He went to BG , but went for football.

#20 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(ibleedbluengold @ Jan 22 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bob, Paulding used to own the NWC

I can attest to that....was on the wrong end of few lopsided games back in the day...but then again..we sucked bad back then....LOL

Edited by ADog, 27 January 2008 - 09:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users