402 replies to this topic

#41 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 16 February 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

I wasn't being negative, just using some sarcasm since people always complain how much Wapak's community gives coaches a hard time. Now with the projection of Wapak winning the league next year I have no idea. I don't know who in the league returns what, and I want to see how Moyer does after game 1.
I did the same thing about saying going to fryes house and beg him to come back and was labeled a frye lover by someone. I was stripped of all 7 of my reserve seats, not allowed in Wapak to only see my sister for an hour. Had to give up all my wapak gear and peel the wapak football sticker off my mountaineer. Watch yourself its a tough crowd in here.

#42 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 16 February 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

How many days after the official hiring before people in Wapak want to run him out of town?
Im going to start right now. @$$#%%^^^ Moyer.

#43 DC/MS

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Member No.: 1707

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

interesting
awjeez.jpgawjeez.jpg

#44 dartmaster63

All District

• Members
  • 246 posts

Member No.: 6522

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostKitnaSucks, on 16 February 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

So kenton loses their coach and replaces him with a qualified coach who has been coaching in the wbl for 25+ years and gets worse. And wapak replaces their coach with somebody who hasn't coached in this league from a smaller school and gets better. And this makes since how?
Congrats on your new head coach
Didn't see anything saying Kenton got worse
I did post that I felt Wapak upgraded that doesn't necessarily mean that Wapak football will have a better record either
Could be better, could be worse, but it does mean that we will have a coach that wants to live and work in our community and to me thats an upgrade in itself

#45 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Member No.: 9368

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Kenton loses a talented senior class and no one can run that offense like mike mauk. They will still contend but they will be dethroned this year.

#46 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Member No.: 9545

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Hate to tell you this but Mauk stopped calling the offense years ago. He let his assistants coach on game days and he was able to manage the game

#47 zip52

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 9177

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

That is true, but I saw Ben Mauk calling the offense this year...he was basically pointing at the WRs and told them what route to run. He basically was a QB on the sideline telling everyone what to do (which makes sense with his past playing days, lol)...Does anyone on staff have a knowledge base and understanding of the offense to the level of Mike or Ben have?

#48 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wapaks my pick to win it right or wrong. Kenton lost a very good senior class, along with a good QB, and there is no longer any mauks there to groom a new QB. Fackler will have a great defense, but that Kenton offense will not be what it was. Even if his assistants were calling the plays on game day they still learned everything and was told everything by mauk.

#49 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Kenton's offense is not Rocket science it had been the same for about 20 years all of the coaches and more importantly players know it inside and out. That is not a knock on coach Mauk it is a credit to him

#50 The Owl

All District

• Members
  • 207 posts

Member No.: 9031

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostKitnaSucks, on 17 February 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Kenton's offense is not Rocket science it had been the same for about 20 years all of the coaches and more importantly players know it inside and out. That is not a knock on coach Mauk it is a credit to him

I highly doubt every coach on Kenton's staff could step in and take over the offense without any drop-off. They will be breaking in a new QB and their go-to stud WR is leaving as well.

The toughest thing about running Kenton's offense is understanding what people are doing to stop you, knowing how to counter that, and finally how to communicate that to your players in real-time during the game.

#51 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Kenton has more coaches than you think to run it. The run it starting in junior high. The route concepts haven't changed in 20 years and defenses are not that complicated. high schools usually only run 3-5 coverages. Most schools only play one or 2. Do you think that Kenton's coaching staff is not trained to coach on Friday nights. Again Mauk did not do this alone. He wasn't Pete Brunow. Pete didn't even let his assistants call the jv games

#52 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

You can't duplicate a mauk and what he brought to that program. There is gonna be a drop off because of how much mauk brought to the table you aren't gonna find a lot of guys like that. I'm not saying Kenton's gonna be awful but I expect a drop off from the amount of success they have had in past due to mauk and sons.

#53 The Owl

All District

• Members
  • 207 posts

Member No.: 9031

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostKitnaSucks, on 17 February 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Kenton has more coaches than you think to run it. The run it starting in junior high. The route concepts haven't changed in 20 years and defenses are not that complicated. high schools usually only run 3-5 coverages. Most schools only play one or 2. Do you think that Kenton's coaching staff is not trained to coach on Friday nights. Again Mauk did not do this alone. He wasn't Pete Brunow. Pete didn't even let his assistants call the jv games

If it's not that hard to run this offense, then why did Mauk have his son call the offense when older, more experienced guys that had already paid their dues were already on the staff?

Or maybe having a person with experience in reading defenses at the highest levels of college football was a big advantage, and losing that perspective and experience will be tough to replace?

Highly doubt an offensive line coach can step in and call that offense, and have the ability to make adjustments in-game and react to what the other team is doing.

There is a lot more to running an offense than randomly picking plays off of a sheet of paper.

#54 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Member No.: 9000

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Maybe Kenton decides to change it up a bit and run wishbone.

#55 zip52

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I have to agree with Owl...yes, the plays have probably stayed the same, but the timing and situational decisions of when to run this vs that is probably not there without the Mauks. I have a feeling that the Mauks made more decision-making control than the players did...its like Ben was playing a video game and he told everyone what to do and controlled the decision making.

#56 2Legit2Quit

All League

• Members
  • 37 posts

Member No.: 9584

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Kenton thread or Wapak? Just saying

#57 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

I am not saying that Ben didn't have a good perspective of calling the offense but Matt best called it for Maty when Maty was playing Ben only took over that position when Matt best left. O line coaches are usually the most knowledgeable guys on o coaching staff. Kenton has former big 10 offensive lineman coaching the o line now. They would do fine. Ben was the qb coach and that is why he called the plays not because he was Ben Mauk. If billy Lawrence was the qb coach last year he would have done the same thing.

Again I will say that coach Mauk will be missed but don't assume that the offense ran well only because a Mauk was calling the plays.

The players also have a lot to do with how a team performs. That is tge bigger question who is the next qb. Receivers grow on trees there. It takes a qb to make the offense go

#58 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

View Postzip52, on 17 February 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

That is true, but I saw Ben Mauk calling the offense this year...he was basically pointing at the WRs and told them what route to run. He basically was a QB on the sideline telling everyone what to do (which makes sense with his past playing days, lol)...Does anyone on staff have a knowledge base and understanding of the offense to the level of Mike or Ben have?
I heard Benny is moving out to Missouri this summer

#59 zip52

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

That's my point...Ben will be gone, so who will call the O? Im not sure if it was Best that made the offense great, or Maty making plays...but Best is not there, so again I question who will call it? I know the offense will probably still be potent, but I wonder if it will lose a step....Back to Wapak, are all the assistant coaches staying or are some following Frye to SM? Any names being thrown around as possible assistants that could be added for next year?

#60 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Not to be a d@&k. But why aren't the wapak fans worried about their offense as much as Kenton's. It sounds like when somebody new calls plays the offense takes a step back, does that mean that wapaks offense will also suffer That is what you guys are saying right ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users