Should the BVC expand?

488 replies to this topic

#1 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Good suggestion Coach_B....BVC talk kind of took over the MAL thread.

What does everyone think? Initial talk was shot down in a vote this week. Should they reconsider?
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#2 fightingpanther

All League

• Members
  • 76 posts

Member No.: 3326

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

They must reconsider if they want to stay intact otherwise you will see some schools leave and either join other conferences or form a new conference.

#3 citgogainfan

All District

• Members
  • 109 posts

Member No.: 5358

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

No. I do not understand the reason to have "super conferences". I would think that most, if not all the schools are ok with staying where the are.

#4 osufan512

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 3727

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

The BVC is fine the way it is IF schools like Hardin-Northern and Vanlue can continue to field a football team year-in and year-out. If things continue the way they have been for years, the BVC isnt going anywhere and no, no schools are just going to get antsy and leave. Now, if those smaller schools some day in the near future do cancel football, the BVC could be scrambling for new members to fill the void that would be left. In any case, I think the BVC should look to expand, as mentioned over on the MAL forum, in order to protect themselves from this possibility. If they expand and those teams are able to keep their football programs running, then all is fine and you have a good, small school/big school league. If those schools programs' do collapse, they have covered themselves too. I see it as a win-win with expansion, where there are other outlying possibilities if they dont. There are several schools looking for leagues at the moment too, so it isnt like there would be a shortage of applicants into the league. Acting now also gives the league the upper hand, being able to pick and choose who ever they want. If they wait are are pushed into a corner, they may have to take who ever is available to salvage the league and that could be bad for all parties involved.

Edited by osufan512, 10 February 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#5 Hinkle

All District

• Members
  • 202 posts

Member No.: 3406

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

I believe they are very set where they are. Hancock Co is old school.

#6 Pantherbuff

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 5868

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostHinkle, on 11 February 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

I believe they are very set where they are. Hancock Co is old school.
I believe change can be a good thing !!!! And maybe we shoud!!!!! One good thing about the BVC is that we have 2 schools that are D-5 and that heips the rest of us that in D-6......But , Vanlue and Harden Northern are still going to be subjects of conversation.......

#7 Buckshot

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 6461

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

View Postpolkhigh33, on 10 February 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Good suggestion Coach_B....BVC talk kind of took over the MAL thread. What does everyone think? Initial talk was shot down in a vote this week. Should they reconsider?

Polk - Not sure who your sources are? There was preliminary talk a couple weeks back, but no vote was taken. This whole issue on expansion will have more discussion yet this month. The idea has not been shot down at this time. There was a well thought out plan presented to members with pros and cons laid out as well. Not sure what the final verdict will be. Just hope all the schools give the proper attention before they make a hasty decision.

#8 Muahahaha

All League

• Members
  • 85 posts

Member No.: 3041

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

If the BVC does expand, it needs to with Ada or Bluffton, and Riverdale.

Edited by Muahahaha, 12 February 2012 - 03:43 PM.

I had the last laugh. Muahahaha

#9 I Know a Guy

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 5582

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostMuahahaha, on 12 February 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

If the BVC does expand, it needs to with Ada or Bluffton, and Riverdale.

They've been looking at Carey Elmwood H-L and Riverdale

#10 Buckshot

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostI Know a Guy, on 12 February 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

They've been looking at Carey Elmwood H-L and Riverdale

I think there are 8-10 teams that would make a nice addition to the league. It may take the 8 or 10 invitees just get 4 schools to accept. Certainly the schools to the East are looking for options, but several teams to the West makes also sense.

#11 thefoozball

All League

• Members
  • 47 posts

Member No.: 4983

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Yes, expansion would benefit everyone. Look at it this way, NB, Vanlue, PG, CR, HL, and Arcadia playing competitve games and having more chances to win. That will get more kids out, help biuld the programs, and improve the league overallc while still having very good programs, Carey, LB, McComb, Leipsic, Hopewell, Arlington to name a few. It would really make the league very balanced and improve the overall quality of football in the area. I vote 14 teams!

#12 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

I say if the BVC would add 2 teams, they should invite Carey and Riverdale. If they wanted to add 4 schools, they should also invite Ada and Bluffton.

All 4 of these schools are around the size of Van Buren, helping to span the size disparity between L-B and the rest of the BVC. Personally, I don't consider L-B huge, like most of the BVC does. But having more like-sized schools in the mix would mean that they wouldn't be all by themselves with the "big" enrollment. It would make it a little easier to go big/small for divisions...BUT, I prefer a geographic split (east/west or north/south) to keep travel down and to keep natural rivalries intact. Besides, if enrollments change, the conference would have to rearrange the divisions in a big/small set-up...not so with a geographic split.

#13 ScoonieMac

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 6583

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

I would like to see each conference be split in half, and play an eleventh game that way the leage championship game. This would allow for each team to be able to play more non conference schools, possibly generating more compition between schools.

#14 rstefosu07

All District

• Members
  • 349 posts

Member No.: 3302

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

One topic that needs to be addressed in order to allow expansion is the PCL issue. If the BVC were to expand to 14 teams, in all sports other than football Leipsic and Pandora would have 20 league games. This leaves no room for non-conference games.

#15 Buckshot

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Postrstefosu07, on 14 February 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

One topic that needs to be addressed in order to allow expansion is the PCL issue. If the BVC were to expand to 14 teams, in all sports other than football Leipsic and Pandora would have 20 league games. This leaves no room for non-conference games.

Beginning next year I believe, OHSAA is allowing a girls and boys to expand their basketball schedules to 22 games.

#16 rstefosu07

All District

• Members
  • 349 posts

Member No.: 3302

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

I realize next year goes up slightly, but two non-conference games isn't enough. Leipsic currently has non-conference rivalries with Holgate, Patrick Henry, Ayersville, and starting against OG here recently. Especially when it is maintain the high level of energy for conference games already while competing for two conferences.

#17 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

For basketball ...Only tradition says you have to play everyone in the conference. In a 14 team split how about only playing 4 cross divisional games with the 4th set aside as an late season open date? Then you could have a "championship weekend" where Division A #1 plays Division B #1, #2 plays #2, etc

For softball and baseball... Guess some BVC AD's would have to start scheduling full seasons (27 games) instead of 60% of a season. Cory-Rawson comes to mind... :whistling:

#18 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I think it would be nice if they did expand especially with HN and Vanlue being in the state of will we or won't we each year. But I don't see it happening til they have to. Nothing gets done unless it has to get done, and right now it doesn't have to get done, because that would create extra work. The LEAGUE will be the LEAGUE until Vanlue or HN fall out of football.

#19 FightingFifth

All District

• Members
  • 167 posts

Member No.: 2326

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

This conversation is very interesting to me. I follow Leipsic, I like the idea for football, every other sport not so much. With Leipsic being in the PCL as well(as others stated previously), scheduling would be a pain in the arse. The only way I could see getting on board would be if you didn't play each team in the league. Even then, I'm not sure I would like it. Certain years, some teams would get a scheduling advantage.

On a side note, it would be hard to keep track of two threads, but I was wondering, since it is basketball season would this thread get more debate in the basketball forum?

#20 Warthog

All District

• Members
  • 149 posts

Member No.: 9013

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostFightingFifth, on 14 February 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

With Leipsic being in the PCL as well(as others stated previously), scheduling would be a pain in the arse.

I don't see why that would be true. Teams can schedule 22 games next season. At most, Leipsic would play 13 BVC games and 7 PCL games. That still leaves 2 non-conf games. And the BVC might have a schedule that consists of only 10 or 11 league games. Or they could play P-G once and count in both leagues. To me, I think it might make scheduling easier as the AD only has to find 2 n-c games. All the rest is already set.

Edited by Warthog, 15 February 2012 - 09:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users