Most Over rated team in NW Ohio

105 replies to this topic

#61 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I can truly say that at least for this school year, DSJ fans are not lamenting the fact that we are missing out on any DJ football or basketball prospects.

Why so mean? :bag: ...but true. However, this is an anomaly. We've had basketball players the past 5-6 years that could help. In a few of those years it might be fair to say that DSJ's had a couple basketball players that could have helped us. Starting next year things return to normal. The point remains...we are in a unique situation in Delphos.

To answer your question about other towns with a similar situation, I would say Tiffin and Fremont have both types of schools and seem to be doing just fine
3. Fremont is a city in and the county seat of Sandusky County, Ohio, United States.[4] The population was 17,375 at the 2000 census.

The examples you have given are over 100% bigger than Delphos. My point was...

• "Delphos is unique in that it has a relativity self-sufficient public and private school in a small community."

I'm not sure there is a similar example in the state.

Edited by Dman, 08 February 2012 - 05:01 PM.

I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#62 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Dman.......

Very thorough investigation there Dman......I expect nothing less from you.....and I agree with you..as always!!!!!

#63 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Member No.: 754

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Really, small? Compared to whom? Delphos is average, in fact go north and west of Delphos and you find truly "small" communities. You're not as unique as you think. In fact I can think of a MUCH smaller community than yours that had a private, religious school and a public school for years that did just fine. It's called Stryker, Ohio. And WAY WAY WAY smaller than Delphos.

Oh, and current poulation? Under 2,000 people.

#64 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

streaker......

So, Stryker had a parochial high school and a public high school.....both with footbal teams......wow...that is pretty unique.......did they compete....seems I cannot recollect Stryker ever having a parochial school that competed in any high school sports!!!!!!

#65 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

View Postflounder, on 08 February 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

streaker......

So, Stryker had a parochial high school and a public high school.....both with footbal teams......wow...that is pretty unique.......did they compete....seems I cannot recollect Stryker ever having a parochial school that competed in any high school sports!!!!!!
I went to the parochial school, and we played soccer, volleyball, and basketball. We competed against other parochial schools in Toledo, and as far as Bucyrus. We would also play local public high schools as well. It wasn't until the school moved to a larger town out of necessity, that they started their own parochial league.

I wasn't aware that playing football was the deciding factor in what made a school succesful, give me a break.

The point is that Delphos isn't all that unique in the state of Ohio, considering it's quite average in regards to population. Even Archbold is smaller than Delphos, and being from Archbold went to the parochial school in Stryker, which was only about 15 minutes away.

#66 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

There is no argument bluestreaks. You seem upset. I merely made the observation as of TODAY...
  • "Delphos is unique in that it has a relativity self-sufficient public and private school in a small community."

The example you gave me is of a system, that for whatever reason failed.

Look, the only reason I pointed out the Delphos situation is one poster implied that DSJ's has a population of 7000 to pull from. This is misleading as they are a small school in a small community with 100 boys enrolled. Jefferson has 131 boys. Even if the schools were combined you are looking at a Division IV football team and a small DIV II basketball team. My opinion is that a combined school district in Delphos would compete just fine at those levels...and are doing ok as is too. It is a unique situation.

I live here and am a Jefferson guy...but I can tell you that forever...St. Johns kids have grown up attending their system. Although a few always try to stir the pot...particularly when the LCC threads heat up...St. Johns functions like any other small town school. Ditto for Jefferson. They have their enrollment in kindergarten...and they pretty much look the same 12 years later.

​In most small communities like Delphos, the kids grow up playing sports together. Youth programs are not typically school sponsored. They continue this through high school. In our community this is not the case. Once you get to high school the continuity is not there. This is more pronounced in youth football and baseball where all our kids are thrown together. Basketball seems to be more separated...but in fairness...until our current coach Jefferson's youth basketball was non-existent. I really have not put much thought into the situation, except to opine that it is a unique situation. I'm just making one quick opinion that there is an argument to be made that the separation puts both Delphos schools at a disadvantage versus a typical 7000 person community that has one school.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#67 roscoe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Member No.: 8847

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

What the Bulldogs of Edgerton have is balance and heart. They have conquered each challenge that has come there way. They tend to play bigger in the the bigger games. Very unselfish basketball team. I like there chances....

#68 albatross

All State

• Members
  • 513 posts

Member No.: 5351

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

View Postdw629, on 05 February 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

In Putnam County Since 2004

Continental went to state twice
OG went to state twice
Kalida went to state
CG went to state

The thing that is fascinating is all of them come from the same district so they always knock each other out and 50% of the time the one team standing has gone on to state in the last 8 years (this is not counting the "big" PC school OG who has won a D2 and a D3 state title in that time).. How many times has DSJ been since 04? ZERO

View PostGreen seagull 20, on 05 February 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Well put!
I really believe that facts were stated....no cheap shots were taken....but yet.....'The Vatican' gets bombed again in an obvious terrorist plot"!

#69 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Postbluestreaksfever, on 08 February 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I went to the parochial school, and we played soccer, volleyball, and basketball. We competed against other parochial schools in Toledo, and as far as Bucyrus. We would also play local public high schools as well. It wasn't until the school moved to a larger town out of necessity, that they started their own parochial league.

I wasn't aware that playing football was the deciding factor in what made a school succesful, give me a break.

The point is that Delphos isn't all that unique in the state of Ohio, considering it's quite average in regards to population. Even Archbold is smaller than Delphos, and being from Archbold went to the parochial school in Stryker, which was only about 15 minutes away.

streaker.......

was this in the 1800's....I never heard of a parochial school in Stryker that could actually compete with any of the big boys....you see, that is what seperates Stryker from Delphos........come to think of it.....I do not know of a public school in Stryker that can compete with the big boys......whoops......in Delphos we are talking about 2 schools that are very respectable in all sports......and I don't care what you say............that is unique....I'll give you a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry Dman........I just can't be as subtle as you!!!!!!!!!!

#70 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postbluestreaksfever, on 08 February 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Really, small? Compared to whom? Delphos is average, in fact go north and west of Delphos and you find truly "small" communities. You're not as unique as you think. In fact I can think of a MUCH smaller community than yours that had a private, religious school and a public school for years that did just fine. It's called Stryker, Ohio. And WAY WAY WAY smaller than Delphos.

Oh, and current poulation? Under 2,000 people.

I'm always interested in Catholic schools history, especially NW Ohio. What was the name of the Catholic high school in Stryker? I have to admit I've never heard of it.

#71 Dark Knight

All District

• Members
  • 194 posts

Member No.: 3030

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I believe it was a christian school and it eventually moved to Bryan.

#72 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Correct, it was a private christian school from 1985-2005 in Stryker, which then moved to the old Bryan Jr. High, because they needed a bigger school.

#73 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Are we talking about Living Word here?

#74 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Only city I can think of that is comparable is Louisville. Louisville High and Aquinas. They city has just over 9000.

Bellaire has just over 4000 but the private school there doesnt compete well.
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#75 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postdhsdawg06, on 08 February 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Are we talking about Living Word here?
Unless you know of another Christian school in Stryker, then yes.

#76 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

My intentions were not to start a fight. I was just pointing out how unique Delphos is.

Michael Jordan

#77 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

View Postbluestreaksfever, on 08 February 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

Have to admit I've never heard of this school. How big are they? What is the league they are in and who else is in it? Are they OHSAA members? There are some private religious schools around Delphos and Lima but they are typically very small.

#78 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

No. We typically had about 100-200 students enrolled a year, so we weren't large enough to be in the OHSAA. We did however allow homeschooled members to play on our teams, which actually gave us some pretty decent sports teams at least when I attended. They don't have an official league as far as I know, there was talks a few years ago about creating an all Christian school league in northwest ohio, southwest michigan, and northeastern Indiana to allow smaller schools to be competetive, but I don't think anything ever happened with that idea.

#79 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Postbluestreaksfever, on 10 February 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

No. We typically had about 100-200 students enrolled a year, so we weren't large enough to be in the OHSAA. We did however allow homeschooled members to play on our teams, which actually gave us some pretty decent sports teams at least when I attended. They don't have an official league as far as I know, there was talks a few years ago about creating an all Christian school league in northwest ohio, southwest michigan, and northeastern Indiana to allow smaller schools to be competetive, but I don't think anything ever happened with that idea.

Kelley's Island, with fewer than 10 students in their high school, is an OHSAA member. Your school wasn't too small. However, allowing home schooled kids on sports teams would make them ineligible for OHSAA membership.

#80 ramoth

All League

• Members
  • 79 posts

Member No.: 5591

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostBobby, on 10 February 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

Kelley's Island, with fewer than 10 students in their high school, is an OHSAA member. Your school wasn't too small. However, allowing home schooled kids on sports teams would make them ineligible for OHSAA membership.

Why?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users