41 replies to this topic

#41 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 27 March 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Agree with all your comments. It all just sucks... Privates are just much better at it and have more advantages with larger population areas. I don't think there is a perfect answer. I would hate to see kids that actually relocate to a new school district for a legitimate family move decision not based on sports being ineligible for sports for 1 year. I'm just sick of seeing these big city privates playing in Cbus every year. We all know they put these teams together behind the scenes in the off season for the purpose finding a way to win. There is no way public schools in our area can ever compete with this.

Two things:

1.) How does a private school that can draw from a supposedly large urban area have MORE of an advantage than a public school with STATE-WIDE open enrollment???

2.) It sure sounds like you are accusing schools of artificially lowering enrollment for the purposes of increasing chances of winning an athletic championship. Tell that to Marion Catholic, Chanel, or Regina.

Edited by Ericles, 10 April 2017 - 05:39 PM.

#42 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostEricles, on 10 April 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Two things:

1.) How does a private school that can draw from a supposedly large urban area have MORE of an advantage than a public school with STATE-WIDE open enrollment???

2.) It sure sounds like you are accusing schools of artificially lowering enrollment for the purposes of increasing chances of winning an athletic championship. Tell that to Marion Catholic, Chanel, or Regina.

In theory public schools can do what you say, but 99% of them don't do it. With the exception of Columbus Africentric, the public schools that get students from a large area are already D1. Ft. Jennings and Fayette aren't going to go all over the state to get athletes. They don't even go to Ottoville and Archbold to get them.

I can't disagree with what you are saying about Marion Catholic, etc. I would even put Delphos St. John in that category. The big city private schools are abusing the system and the schools you mention are collateral damage. I never said these schools are artificially keeping their enrollments low. I'm sure they would love higher enrollment levels. The problem is, as I have said over and over, is big city private schools attracting students for primarily athletic purposes and playing in the lower divisions as evidenced this year by Lutheran East and Wellington basically turning over their rosters with transfers. This is the main reason only 8,000 are in attendance for these glorified AAU games at the Schott.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users