42 replies to this topic

#41 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

HA HA......

Although I did not find your post real abrasive, I think you hit a nerve with LadyGreen24.......if I was LG24, I would feel the same way she does.......even though what you said may have some truth to it, you are speaking in a negative manner to someone who has put in much time, heart, and soul into a sport she dearly loves......reverse the situation, and see how you would feel and respond....

Last I knew Ottoville's girls were fairly competitive, and who knows what could happen this season.......this is high school sports, and anything can happen......I wish LadyGreen24 good luck on her season, and also wish the Big Green the best of luck!!!!!!!!

#42 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Flounder, Thanks for the positive remark about the Big Green softball, you are a class guy. Bill Maag was the coach in my post about Ottoville, not Carl, was his brother from Leipsic.

#43 HA HA

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Member No.: 4706

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

I guess I need to be a little more clear. I am not bashing softball or Ottoville. I myself played softball for 5 years after I graduated from high school and I love the sport. I know there are plenty of talented athletes in Ottoville and on the Ottoville softball team but they never seem to get many players to come out and every year once an injury or two happens they start going through this same mess of having to reschedule or cancel games. I myself hope they do continue to have the program at Ottoville but facts are facts when it comes to all the Putnam County schools in that with a worsening economy, job losses, and people having to tighten their belts, all the smaller schools are going to have to make some difficult choices. Add in the fact that the future class sizes are extremely small and that makes the case even worse. When I look at Ottoville the one sport I see hurting the most would be softball. Not because of the lack of talent but because of the small amount of interest and when there seems to be a little hope injuries set in and it makes the situation look worse than it is. I truely wish the best to all of the players, the team, and the coaches but I also want to encourage them to make the most of it because I feel when it come time to tighten that belt the softball program will be on the chopping block as well as some others. I know we do not like to hear it but it is what I honestly believe. Will it be the only one? No! But, it will be one of them that will be looked at. If it makes you mad to hear that then good. Now use that anger to go out and make your case to keep it because you will be fighting for your right to play just as some of the other sports will have to do, not only in Ottoville but in several of Putnam County Schools. Just think back to a year ago when gas prices hit $4 a gallon and how all the schools were crying the blues not only in Putnam County but Everywhere! If it happens again and it probably will the schools are going to have to make cuts, and I personally believe it should be sports before teachers. I love sports but an education is for life, sports careers are short and very rare.

Edited by HA HA, 02 April 2009 - 12:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users