134 replies to this topic

#21 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

View Postflounder, on 04 March 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

I think many people in Delphos would agree with you to a certain extent.......Delphos certainly isn't the community it used to be, but maybe you aren't conversing with the right people.....show me a town that you can call 'Amerca's friendliest city'!!!!!!!

Philadelphia..the city of brotherly love.....
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#22 dc99

All League

• Members
  • 38 posts

Member No.: 8285

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Flightcrew: any of those coaches you listed would have stories about unhappy players, parents, and fans. Very Naïve to think otherwise...

#23 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

Take a look at the comments section following this story (warning: It's a virtual Moronathon)...

http://419sports.com/mondays-with-matthews-good-coaches-being-forced-out-and-no-one-has-a-reason-why/

And a follow-up...

http://419sports.com/thursday-top-4-clearly-not-americas-friendliest-city/

#24 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

This is one of the sad commentaries on high school sports today. I'm certainly not going to choose sides, but I want people to see that there are two sides to every story. Everyone automatically thinks because a coach suddenly resigns, it's because Johnny's parents complained because he didn't play enough. While that may be true in some cases, it's not unique to any school. This happens every year, on every team in America. So is there something else? I've always said basketball coaches have the worst jobs of coaching because their job requires the fewest players of our regular team sports. There are generally 8-10 kids on a typical jr. high team. As we narrow the scope from freshman, sophomore, junior and senior, you start weeding kids out of the program. Most teams end up with 3-5 seniors per class. Well that's alot of kids who the coach had to tell them, or they figured it out on their own, that they were not good enough to play. Parents don't take that news very well most of the time. What if we told the parents that Johnny wasn't good enough to stay in Algebra class?
The other thing I always remind people about these coaching jobs is they ARE ONE YEAR CONTRACTS. There is no given that your favorite coach will return next year, regardless of what they tell people. The contract generally goes from Aug 1 to July 1 the following year. So your basketball coach is "considered" for rehire next year. No questions asked. The school board does not have to give ANY reason to hire or not hire a coach. It's a supplemental contract. I think people don't understand this.
Also remember that Koza, and these two guys who wrote articles are Sports guys. They know and talk to these coaches all the time. They don't talk to the administrators or AD's who maybe get all the complaints about said coach. They don't live in the community where maybe the coach is just rotten to everyone and anyone around? So just don't jump on the band wagon because you read and article that's leaning one side. Ask some people in that community what's up? Find out, many people will talk, few will go on record.

#25 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Over 100 comments and "the Delphos Jefferson faithful were fired up, about 75% looking for the removal of Smith, and 25% in full support of him."

I'm no mathematician, however, that high of a number is more than just a few disgruntled parents about Jimmy and Joe's p.t. .....

#26 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 04 March 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

Over 100 comments and "the Delphos Jefferson faithful were fired up, about 75% looking for the removal of Smith, and 25% in full support of him."

I'm no mathematician, however, that high of a number is more than just a few disgruntled parents about Jimmy and Joe's p.t. .....
This may be true but since it's Delphos I would say the 25% who support him are 75% more educated than the 75% who don't support him.

Anyway, good luck to the Jefferson faithful in finding the next sucker to take the job. I'm sure you'll have a state caliber team and if you don't then the next coach will certainly win you that championship.

Edited by General Tso, 04 March 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#27 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 March 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

I think many people in Delphos would agree with you to a certain extent.......Delphos certainly isn't the community it used to be, but maybe you aren't conversing with the right people.....show me a town that you can call 'Amerca's friendliest city'!!!!!!!

I'm not sure who they're conversing with either. The people I know and associate with are all friendly and welcoming. There are plenty of negative people as there are in every town and I battle with them constantly on their crappy attitudes but the good far outweighs the bad.

Whoever said Philadelphia is really the "city of brotherly love" certainly doesn't know the reputation of their sports fans.

#28 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

Does anyone know if Jefferson had their basketball awards night yet and if not is the public invited? Could be very interesting.

#29 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostBobby, on 04 March 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm not sure who they're conversing with either. The people I know and associate with are all friendly and welcoming. There are plenty of negative people as there are in every town and I battle with them constantly on their crappy attitudes but the good far outweighs the bad.

Whoever said Philadelphia is really the "city of brotherly love" certainly doesn't know the reputation of their sports fans.
Bobby I agree with you......Philadelphia may have the worst sports fans with rude attitudes in the whole USA.......makes Delphos fans look like choirboys!!!!!!

#30 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Member No.: 15

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

If you don't want to get fired (non-renewed) you have to win a lot of games every year and sometimes that doesn't help. As a former coach, I can't tell you how many good coaches were non-renewed because of personal agendas against a coach. I won't begin to tell you all of the stories of what I call very successful coaches have went through because of parents. One of many examples: When you have won State Championships, won over 400 games and certain parents want you out and go crying to the local school board because their child wasn't getting the playing time says it all. They will say the coach doesn't like them, bullies them, play certain players and the list goes on and on. I will tell you this right now and I will stand by what I am saying. Unless you have been a coach for at least 10 years you don't have a clue what coaching is all about and all the aspects that are involved.

It reminds me of young people that get married and say my children will never do that, no way. You know the rest of that story!

Yes, coaches are like all other occupations and yes some coaches deserve to be let go. When you find a good teacher, person that puts all their passion into it, doesn't cheat the system and is someone your daughter/son can look up to then you need to keep that person. Every community thinks they have the State Championship Team when the season begins. Almost every parent thinks their child is going to get that full ride scholarship and the coach screwed it up! Guess what? I will tell you what, you have failed as a parent. When parents lie for their kids, cheat for their kids, we have a major problem! Happens a lot more in society today and the world we live in. Just watch the news. You have proof in a video where someone shoots another person for all the world to see but they will tell you they didn't do it! What do you expect when you enable your children all of their lives?

There is a life after coaching, and for some coaches, It may be the best thing that happened when you walk away. You finally get to go on a family vacation, go to your kids events, spend time with family and friends and above all, realize that sports are a small part of what is really important when you step back and see the whole picture!

Edited by Coach, 04 March 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#31 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:30 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 04 March 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

This is one of the sad commentaries on high school sports today. I'm certainly not going to choose sides, but I want people to see that there are two sides to every story. Everyone automatically thinks because a coach suddenly resigns, it's because Johnny's parents complained because he didn't play enough. While that may be true in some cases, it's not unique to any school. This happens every year, on every team in America. So is there something else? I've always said basketball coaches have the worst jobs of coaching because their job requires the fewest players of our regular team sports. There are generally 8-10 kids on a typical jr. high team. As we narrow the scope from freshman, sophomore, junior and senior, you start weeding kids out of the program. Most teams end up with 3-5 seniors per class. Well that's alot of kids who the coach had to tell them, or they figured it out on their own, that they were not good enough to play. Parents don't take that news very well most of the time. What if we told the parents that Johnny wasn't good enough to stay in Algebra class? The other thing I always remind people about these coaching jobs is they ARE ONE YEAR CONTRACTS. There is no given that your favorite coach will return next year, regardless of what they tell people. The contract generally goes from Aug 1 to July 1 the following year. So your basketball coach is "considered" for rehire next year. No questions asked. The school board does not have to give ANY reason to hire or not hire a coach. It's a supplemental contract. I think people don't understand this. Also remember that Koza, and these two guys who wrote articles are Sports guys. They know and talk to these coaches all the time. They don't talk to the administrators or AD's who maybe get all the complaints about said coach. They don't live in the community where maybe the coach is just rotten to everyone and anyone around? So just don't jump on the band wagon because you read and article that's leaning one side. Ask some people in that community what's up? Find out, many people will talk, few will go on record.

I don't recall Jefferson having a player on the team named Johnny, or John for that matter.........but I don't know the Delphos jefferson roster that well. Maybe Johnny's parents started this petition?

#32 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

Mike Lee of Minster has announced his retirement.

Probably one of the most respected coaches in the state of Ohio.

#33 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Member No.: 15

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Outstanding coach but even a better person!

#34 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostCoach, on 07 March 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

Outstanding coach but even a better person!

Sure sounds like it. I'm sure schools are going to be throwing offers at him left and right.....

#35 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:44 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 March 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Just read the article on Smith's resignation and I wonder if this could have been handled differently......I never knew he was a physical therapist....not saying that makes a difference. Smith did some very good things at DJ and will be hard to replace....viewing past history, it will be very hard to make a quality hire!!!!!!

The Blue Jays fans sure tried to run DE out of town a few years ago, and they actually did run him and his family out of town. Flounder, do you remember? They weren't the friendliest people that year. Losing does not mean anything, as long as my little Johnny gets to play, that is more important even though he/she cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Finally a great topic.

#36 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

View Postvon, on 07 March 2016 - 10:44 PM, said:

The Blue Jays fans sure tried to run DE out of town a few years ago, and they actually did run him and his family out of town. Flounder, do you remember? They weren't the friendliest people that year. Losing does not mean anything, as long as my little Johnny gets to play, that is more important even though he/she cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Finally a great topic.
Von......
You are right, but completely different circumstances.....DE lost the team and fans respect...it was a sad time in DSJ history. The stories from his era would have you shaking your head. It was so bad, I gave up my bucket seats. Enter Aaron Elwer and discipline and pride are restored. I no longer have my bucket seats,but still attend most games.......big things are coming in the future at DSJ!!!!!!

#37 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

^^^ That's always the case, though, isn't it? 'Yeah, my school may have run off a coach, but we had our reasons'. Glass houses, flounder. Glass houses.

#38 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

View Postpaperboy, on 08 March 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

^^^ That's always the case, though, isn't it? 'Yeah, my school may have run off a coach, but we had our reasons'. Glass houses, flounder. Glass houses.
Paperboy.....
Man, you must not have had a clue what was going on during the DE era....he was highly recommended by a very reputable source only to have this source talk DE into resigning....you can bring up the old glass house theory all you want, but it doesn't fly in this instance.....man, I could tell you stories that you would not believe.......as I said before.....totally different than the Smith scenario......although, the comments section I read on Coach Smith were much worse than anything I remember concerning DE!!!!!!

#39 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

A wise man once told me it takes years to build a program and it can take 6 months to tear it apart. Great post earlier by Coach. IF you do have that coach/ teacher who is well respected by the kids, learns the game and learns what work, respect and credibility is all about, you hang onto that coach as long as you can. I didn't even mention wins and losses because unfortunately that's what coaches are judged by too often.
Strong AD's and school administrators stand behind their good coaches and correct the bad ones.

#40 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 08 March 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Flounder is absolutely right, this is nothing remotely close to the Smith situation. DSJ fans were embarrassed by what was going on in the basketball program those couple of years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users