THOUGHTS........

73 replies to this topic

#61 bvcgrad

All District

• Members
  • 400 posts

Member No.: 2973

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Easy favorite ? Arlington has some pretty good sophomores who could have started on ANY team in the BVC, they are just fortunate to have some good seniors in front of them .

#62 LBHS79

All League

• Members
  • 70 posts

Member No.: 4251

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Arlington and Liberty will have great battles the next several years....both schools are loaded with talent.

#63 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

this is by far the single best coaching performance by Steve Williman

:pigskinp:
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#64 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

I agree that LB and Arlington will have some good teams moving forward. LB lacks physical players that they have had in the past in a big way though. The Rucki kid is tall and can shoot, but they simply cannot defend the post and/or rebound against athletic, physcial teams like they have in the past when half the football team played basketball.

Arlington will continue to be blessed with tremendous size and athleticism over the next five years. I see this as the difference, not too mention Arlington finally has a true point guard in Hunter who is only a sophomore and started every game on a 17-3 league champion team.

I do agree Williman did a good job this year.
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#65 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Member No.: 706

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Coach Williman does a great job every year. I would consider only a handful of coaches to be elite...he is on that short list.

#66 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Member No.: 3593

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostPostPlayer, on 24 February 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

I agree that LB and Arlington will have some good teams moving forward. LB lacks physical players that they have had in the past in a big way though. The Rucki kid is tall and can shoot, but they simply cannot defend the post and/or rebound against athletic, physcial teams like they have in the past when half the football team played basketball.

Arlington will continue to be blessed with tremendous size and athleticism over the next five years. I see this as the difference, not too mention Arlington finally has a true point guard in Hunter who is only a sophomore and started every game on a 17-3 league champion team.

I do agree Williman did a good job this year.

Post, When was the last year LB had physical players? Their runnerup state team had Brandon Craft at center who was 6'1.

#67 NDLOVER

All District

• Members
  • 135 posts

Member No.: 4389

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Post- Please don't forget they were co-champs this year. Big difference! Should be interesting match up next few years at point guard since LB played almost the whole year without their sophomore point guard!! You may be surprised with the post play the eagles have next year. Not many players will be moving this kid around who is only a sophomore. Do agree they will be games not to miss the next couple years.

#68 slingblade

All District

• Members
  • 488 posts

Member No.: 325

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Who is this sophomore post player for LB thats going to surprise people next year? I've watched this class play for some time now and have no idea who this could be. Perhaps he's a new student that I'm not aware of?? Thanks

#69 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Postslingblade, on 25 February 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Who is this sophomore post player for LB thats going to surprise people next year? I've watched this class play for some time now and have no idea who this could be. Perhaps he's a new student that I'm not aware of?? Thanks

I am guessing the May kid. He is a bull in the china shop right now. Needs development but Williman is the right coach for that.

#70 LBHS79

All League

• Members
  • 70 posts

Member No.: 4251

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Also Liberty have a 6'-3" (or taller) eighth grader who maded a really nice turnaround jumper to beat Arlington in the league tournament this year. :D

#71 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostNDLOVER, on 24 February 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Post- Please don't forget they were co-champs this year. Big difference! Should be interesting match up next few years at point guard since LB played almost the whole year without their sophomore point guard!! You may be surprised with the post play the eagles have next year. Not many players will be moving this kid around who is only a sophomore. Do agree they will be games not to miss the next couple years.

ND - I understand that LB was co-champs this year. However, I also watched a game in which was over mid way thru 2nd quarter against Arlington primarily due to not being able to matchup physically. This is my point - in the past LB seemed to always get half the football team out. Names avoid me as it is not my style to remember past LB players but I know Craft and others always gave them some physicality on the court. Last couple of years seems to be missing that - several skilled shooters, but no one to match up with the Reckers/Blunks of the world who play physical. I believe this will make for a short tourney run for LB mainly b/c of that fact. Williman does a great job of not allowing his team to get exposed, but eventually a good big man will (aka Recker).

There will be plenty of size and guard play over the next 5-6 years at Atown which should make for some good games in an already heated rivalry.
Arlington Red Devils

#72 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostPostPlayer, on 26 February 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

ND - I understand that LB was co-champs this year. However, I also watched a game in which was over mid way thru 2nd quarter against Arlington primarily due to not being able to matchup physically. This is my point - in the past LB seemed to always get half the football team out. Names avoid me as it is not my style to remember past LB players but I know Craft and others always gave them some physicality on the court. Last couple of years seems to be missing that - several skilled shooters, but no one to match up with the Reckers/Blunks of the world who play physical. I believe this will make for a short tourney run for LB mainly b/c of that fact. Williman does a great job of not allowing his team to get exposed, but eventually a good big man will (aka Recker).

There will be plenty of size and guard play over the next 5-6 years at Atown which should make for some good games in an already heated rivalry.

Williman only plays 6 kids so half the football team did not play much. They handily beat Vanlue(same team that beat Arlington) handily who has a 6'9 kid. They will eventually run into LCC who has more athlectic players.

#73 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

View Postcubbies4life, on 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Williman only plays 6 kids so half the football team did not play much. They handily beat Vanlue(same team that beat Arlington) handily who has a 6'9 kid. They will eventually run into LCC who has more athlectic players.

Garber is big, but not physical - that is my point. Congrats on getting the Lue - a good win on your court. I think people will see a different Vanlue team when they play on a more normal sized court like LB's for example. You can really expose the guard play on a court like that and that also minimizes the affect their bigs have in a game.

Willy has always played limited kids, I think you would have to agree however, that the past couple of years, his teams have lacked a physical presence - would you not?
Arlington Red Devils

#74 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostPostPlayer, on 27 February 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Garber is big, but not physical - that is my point. Congrats on getting the Lue - a good win on your court. I think people will see a different Vanlue team when they play on a more normal sized court like LB's for example. You can really expose the guard play on a court like that and that also minimizes the affect their bigs have in a game.

Willy has always played limited kids, I think you would have to agree however, that the past couple of years, his teams have lacked a physical presence - would you not?

Agree. Guess the recruiters need to be talked to about not getting any size for coach Willy. LOL!

Edited by cubbies4life, 27 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users