Time to end P-G soccer

144 replies to this topic

#41 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Member No.: 5181

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

While I understand the Supers concern, especially with numbers, perhaps a women's team would be a way to go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there another women's fall sport outside of volleyball at PG? The men could always take their tax dollars to the OG soccer program.

#42 Old Man P

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 5221

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

RM...I didn't vote anyone in...I just moved to town last year...lol

Edited by Old Man P, 19 October 2011 - 10:33 AM.

As someone once told me. "If you say you can't than you won't. If you say you can than you will." Never give up and keep working hard to get where you need to go, and Play Like a Champion Today!

#43 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Member No.: 968

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

View Postdkusma96, on 18 October 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

While I understand the Supers concern, especially with numbers, perhaps a women's team would be a way to go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there another women's fall sport outside of volleyball at PG? The men could always take their tax dollars to the OG soccer program.

They do offer cross country in the fall and typically have 6-8 girls on the team. They have been relatively successful too.

#44 hunt4em

All District

• Members
  • 256 posts

Member No.: 4444

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Here we go, blaim the new superintendent, and the B.O.E because soccer numbers are down and they might have to drop the program. The truth is this program is in the self destruct mode. When it looked like soccer might take a lot of the youth away from football, the football supporters started the midget football program, Now over 50 boys playing midget football with great success. Point being don't point fingers at who is at fault. The school has become to small to support football, soccer, VB, cross country, cheerleading and band. If you want to point fingers, point to the soccer gods who have done nothing to keep the program alive. Posting complaints will get you nothing. Get busy and work at the youth level.

#45 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Personally, I'm a firm believer that no program has to be dropped. Get the right coach in there, who the kids like and will play hard for and fielding a team shouldn't be a problem. While the P-G program may never win the PCL, they could at least put some semblance of a competitive team on the field. I think the current coach should be given one more year before the school decides to pull the plug.

#46 NW Ohio Guy

All District

• Members
  • 170 posts

Member No.: 5033

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

I DON'T believe he should be re-hired. yes Pandora has lost a lot of seniors, but the current coach lost the little bit of talent the program had left during pre-season. If they wouldn't have lost those players i know Pandora would have probably beat somebody... and yes after every coaching change there is going to be lower numbers but it shouldn't be this low. The last 3 years the team had a roster averaging about 20 kids on it. How do you go from 20 kids to having just enough to fill the field?? :shrug2:

A teams performance,teamwork,stats/record only shows what a coach has really done... :bag:

Pandora needs to stick to football and volleyball. No school of this size should have both soccer and football. P-G is the 3rd smallest school in Ohio with football. That statement their shows that the school shouldn't have both to begin with. P-G is good/decent @ every fall sport besides soccer (and football this season), the other sports...they should stick to.

#47 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

NW, I do not believe that we are the third smallest school to offer football. maybe football and soccer combined.
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#48 sclfan

All District

• Members
  • 125 posts

Member No.: 117

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Since the football team had a losing season, why not drop football and concentrate on soccer? Goes both ways...

#49 NW Ohio Guy

All District

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostRocketman, on 09 November 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

NW, I do not believe that we are the third smallest school to offer football. maybe football and soccer combined.

According to Pandora's Head Varsity Coach,Arthur, "we are the third smallest school in ohio with football"
when he said that it was hard to believe but i took his word for it. Who would those other schools be, probably Vanlue and Hardin Northern?

Yeah good point, but because football was @ pandora since they were the fleetwings, they're going to keep it. The program has been there for a long time, unlike the soccer team. There arent really any youth soccer programs at Pandora either. plus with a midget football team averaging 50 kids every year that has won the superbowl several times, including back to back titles last year and this year.

#50 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

View PostNW Ohio Guy, on 09 November 2011 - 09:14 PM, said:

plus with a midget football team averaging 50 kids every year that has won the superbowl several times, including back to back titles last year and this year.

then where is the success at the high school ranks?

#51 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

View PostNW Ohio Guy, on 09 November 2011 - 09:14 PM, said:

According to Pandora's Head Varsity Coach,Arthur, "we are the third smallest school in ohio with football"
when he said that it was hard to believe but i took his word for it. Who would those other schools be, probably Vanlue and Hardin Northern?

Holgate has the same number of boys..........53
Vanlue ...........30
Portsmouth ND......37
Clev. Hts. Lutheran East ......49
Marion Catholic........19

suffice it to say that we are very small and we would have a much better chance at success if we would eliminate football and the costs associated with it.........and join forces together to build a strong and viable soccer program in line with Fort Jennings............RM

#52 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostRocketman, on 09 November 2011 - 10:11 PM, said:

Vanlue ...........30
Portsmouth ND......37

suffice it to say that we are very small and we would have a much better chance at success if we would eliminate football and the costs associated with it.........and join forces together to build a strong and viable soccer program in line with Fort Jennings............RM

Well not a bad idea, only problem is your 20 miles away from Fort Jennings. Your best bet is either with Bluffton (about 10 miles away) or O-G (10 miles away). To be honest I was surprised when P-G got a soccer team. They are no O-G or Bluffton that can have the numbers for football and soccer. P-G has a had few solid teams since they started but as of late, not so much. I wouldn't say its the coaches fault, I believe sometimes it can be, but in this case it's more of the players than anything else.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#53 Goin2goal

All District

• Members
  • 342 posts

Member No.: 2371

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Uh Ft Jennings hasn't really been viable for several years now.

I still cannot believe the state wasted tax dollars to build new buildings for all these small schools!

#54 paynepanthers

All State

• Members
  • 589 posts

Member No.: 3270

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

View PostRocketman, on 09 November 2011 - 10:11 PM, said:

Vanlue ...........30
Portsmouth ND......37

View PostMysterio, on 10 November 2011 - 07:15 AM, said:

Well not a bad idea, only problem is your 20 miles away from Fort Jennings. Your best bet is either with Bluffton (about 10 miles away) or O-G (10 miles away). To be honest I was surprised when P-G got a soccer team. They are no O-G or Bluffton that can have the numbers for football and soccer. P-G has a had few solid teams since they started but as of late, not so much. I wouldn't say its the coaches fault, I believe sometimes it can be, but in this case it's more of the players than anything else.

Didn't Rocketman mean that football should be dropped at PG and that PG soccer could be built with those combined numbers of former footballers and soccer players. I don't think he meant joining forces with another school did he?

#55 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

View Postpaynepanthers, on 10 November 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

Didn't Rocketman mean that football should be dropped at PG and that PG soccer could be built with those combined numbers of former footballers and soccer players. I don't think he meant joining forces with another school did he?

Maybe, Maybe not. I took it as combining schools but probably meant starting a solid program much like Fort Jennings I just happened to misinterpret what he said.

But ya FJ for a small school has been putting out the numbers to play, but I wouldn't say their program has succeeded much like the rest of the PCL teams as of late. There's a reason why kids play football and reason why they play soccer. Some good with their hands and some good with their feet. Both sports very aggressive and very physical. Now soccer obviously not as physical as football, but it can be at times. But dropping a football program is not going to necessarily guarantee you numbers for soccer or help you as far as talent.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#56 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Noticed the P-G program was given the team sportsmanship award by the NW District Coaches in the Division III boys all-district selections. Congrats!

#57 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

View PostCoach_B, on 12 November 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Noticed the P-G program was given the team sportsmanship award by the NW District Coaches in the Division III boys all-district selections. Congrats!

:blink:

#58 NW Ohio Guy

All District

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

^stats above

P-G has only 35 players this year (the same as arcadia) P-G has more player this year than last year. Numbers will go up to mid 40s now that a small class has graduated and a larger one is coming in.

and yeah i do wonder where what happens when they get into even Junior high? P-G has very good youth programs then they hit junior high. i believe P-G needs better coaches at the jr. high level, thats why i think P-G loses talent. But for soccer there isnt even a coach to change... there is no soccer program. Pandora only has like 1-2 grade soccer. Then they have high school. They need more soccer programs.

As far as im concerned, this isnt a tremendous problem. Big problems would be if the school is having money problems or having barely enough students to have a school, cause they're NOT. Vanlue and Arcadia on the other hand...

Edited by NW Ohio Guy, 13 November 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#59 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

P-G isn't the only school with the football/soccer numbers problem. Unfortunately, there are several small schools around that are in the same boat. If girls can play boys' soccer, boys should be able to play girls' volleyball... There is even a school a couple of years ago that had a girls soccer program and let a girl play on the boys team because she and her parents wanted her to have more competition.

#60 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

View Postroarintiger1, on 15 November 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

If girls can play boys' soccer, boys should be able to play girls' volleyball... There is even a school a couple of years ago that had a girls soccer program and let a girl play on the boys team because she and her parents wanted her to have more competition.

Title IX prevents boys from playing "girls only" sports for the most part & OHSAA lets girls play on the boys team if they so choose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users