Too early to start talking PCL baseball?

60 replies to this topic

#41 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Member No.: 695

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Dr. Hibbert @ Nov 19 2006, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am just a casual observer so I can't comment on some of the things those two young men may or may not say. I CAN comment on lack of discipline, as far as fairness across the board; not one set of rules for some and a different set for others. In fact, many people I have talked to have noticed these type of things. Coach is a baseball man though but his batters are very impatient at the plate, i.e. swinging at breaking pitches on a first pitch and being off balance, swinging at anything that resembles a strike when they are ahead in the count instead of looking for that "one" pitch. We need to agressively start finding kids that don't play basketball so there is no conflict with AYBT etc. Also the coaches of other sports need to be more flexible with the kids...if they want to throw baseball during basketball season let them...geesh!

If you stop taking the basketball players you will not have as many athletes on the team. We do not have the luxuries of a Defiance where they have their football players, basketball players, and baseball players seperated and only focus on one sport. We are a small Div. 4 school and have to deal with what we have. Most of the time kids come into high school not even knowing how to catch a fly ball let alone being patient in the count. As a coach, where are you supposed to start? In C-town you have to pick your battles so you don't start wars so you deal with what you have and make the best of it. I believe the coach does a good job and tries to motivate the kids. Do realize though, they are kids and you can tell them until you are blue in the face how to play. Like everybody once was though, you have the few that think they know the right way and do not listen. I wish we had the ideal situation for baseball here but basketball first and baseball when you have time to fit it in the schedule. Pretty sad though as I know more kids who have went to college and made the pros from around here playing baseball. How many have ever made it to the pro's from the PCL and played in the NBA? Just aggravates me because I love the game.
2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 - Champion
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#42 Rooney

All District

• Members
  • 110 posts

Member No.: 883

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

As I read this I see some frustrated Continental posters on here. I think this same discussion could apply to other small schools around the area. Now, the one small school that comes to mind that counters your logic of not enough players in the off season here lately has been your rival Kalida. Why do they have such success? I know they have some kind of barn set up with an assistant coach where they hit all winter and they are taking instruction at a Lima facility. They have fewer boys in high school than Continental does-it just doesn't make a bit of sense. Is it maybe the basketball team suffers from the success of the baseball team at Kalida while the baseball team suffers from the basketball teams achievements at Continental? Some Kalida boys play both basketball as well as baseball just like at Continental. Maybe it's the parents or maybe the coaches at K-town push for offseason conditioning- someone is having success over there- I hope OG gets this mindset one of these days.

#43 Dr. Hibbert

All District

• Members
  • 303 posts

Member No.: 1226

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

Labatts, I didn't mean we had to exclude basketball players, just that we should target and work with the kids who don't play hoops. I am feelin' ya though when you say that you love this game; there is nothing better IMHO. It is just frustrating to see talented kids making themselves exclusively basketball players when they could be good baseball players as well.

#44 sports11

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 805

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Rooney, Kalida is having success in baseball because the kids who play have fun while doing it. Like many sports practice is boring and players usually hate going to practice. At Kalida I hear the kids enjoy going to practice and that is what produces results. As for the barn I hear those kids over there are persistent and always trying to get better. “I could not imagine hitting in 30 degree weather, those kids most be tough.”

Also, on the major league players from Putnam County. Wid Steck I don’t think made it to the majors, but I could be wrong, all though he was good enough. I hear was ambidextrous. Chad Ernsberger did not make it to the big show, but he did make it to the minors. As for the rest I am not sure.

#45 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(sports11 @ Nov 20 2006, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rooney, Kalida is having success in baseball because the kids who play have fun while doing it. Like many sports practice is boring and players usually hate going to practice. At Kalida I hear the kids enjoy going to practice and that is what produces results. As for the barn I hear those kids over there are persistent and always trying to get better. “I could not imagine hitting in 30 degree weather, those kids most be tough.”

Also, on the major league players from Putnam County. Wid Steck I don’t think made it to the majors, but I could be wrong, all though he was good enough. I hear was ambidextrous. Chad Ernsberger did not make it to the big show, but he did make it to the minors. As for the rest I am not sure.

Steck was up there for a short time. But also in our area Scott Taylor (Red Sox) and Chad Billingsley (Dodgers) from Defiance have both made it and Doug Bair from Melrose. We have many that either made or are in the minors. Look in the Crescent News during baseball season. There are about 5-6 from the area in the minors last year.
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#46 countywidehasbeen

All District

• Members
  • 177 posts

Member No.: 774

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAHHHH!!!
Just stopped in this forum and noticed a topic about Putnam County beaseball season. Earlier in the thread there were posts about coaches and players etc. I saw some things said about the quality of Coach that Jennings has in Swick, way off base. A source of mine is involved in the program there and from what I know; those accusations are way off base. First of all; if he is so bad and not good quality, how come he was called by OG to interview for their opening and was passed over my Mr. Miller because of the Teaching situation. Yes, that is right, he ended up in the top 2 for that job.
As for his irritating people, who are/were they. The job of a coach is to develop players and hopefully win some ball games. He does both. I can think of some other coaches in NW Ohio that may not be the most liked guys by opposing teams and fans, but that is competition.
My source says that FJ's coaches may be the most dedicated coaches to their players in the area.

Also, my source says that one of FJ's coaches is originally from Continental; he may be interested in going back to CHS and helping their coach as an assistant to help turn that thing around. Just a Rumor, though?????

#47 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(countywidehasbeen @ Dec 17 2006, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAHHHH!!!
Just stopped in this forum and noticed a topic about Putnam County beaseball season. Earlier in the thread there were posts about coaches and players etc. I saw some things said about the quality of Coach that Jennings has in Swick, way off base. A source of mine is involved in the program there and from what I know; those accusations are way off base. First of all; if he is so bad and not good quality, how come he was called by OG to interview for their opening and was passed over my Mr. Miller because of the Teaching situation. Yes, that is right, he ended up in the top 2 for that job.
As for his irritating people, who are/were they. The job of a coach is to develop players and hopefully win some ball games. He does both. I can think of some other coaches in NW Ohio that may not be the most liked guys by opposing teams and fans, but that is competition.
My source says that FJ's coaches may be the most dedicated coaches to their players in the area.

Also, my source says that one of FJ's coaches is originally from Continental; he may be interested in going back to CHS and helping their coach as an assistant to help turn that thing around. Just a Rumor, though?????

Unless he has the ability to get all of the athletes to go out and stop basketball from being year around I don't know how we can get much better at C-town. wallbash.gif I would be interested to know who this is though that has wondered to FJ. The only one I know from that way is Matt Rau. The program is in the right direction but the lower programs have to develop us some better kids that know the fundamentals before they get to us. Hard to win in HS when you have to teach some of the kids how to field a ground ball and catch a fly ball properly. Hopefully one day we can have the legacy of a Kalida, Ayersville, or Defiance.
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#48 Rooney

All District

• Members
  • 110 posts

Member No.: 883

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(countywidehasbeen @ Dec 17 2006, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAHHHH!!!

I don't disagree with your posting of the competitive intensity of Coach Swick. I was told in another post that FJ is hitting this fall as were Kalida's Wildcats when I saw them outside one warm winter day 10 days or so ago. When you are talking most dedicated also include the Kalida staff for example ( good website by the way- I have been there a couple of times now) kalida.k12.oh.us/highschool.htm - The information there shows the same staff being around for a long time. The same is true at Defiance and at Ayersville the assistant coaches' stay in the program for long periods of time. Name a successful schools' program that has been together a few short years that has achieved success almost yearly. They don't always win titles but you usually have to beat the likes of Ayersville,Defiance,Kalida,Crestview and Coldwater to win your league or advance in tournament. Those are the games teams circle on their schedules - it tells them a lot about their own teams make-up.

#49 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

I agree with you totally rooney....when looking at great baseball programs the coaches are dedicated and stay for along time even through the bad years...
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#50 Dr. Hibbert

All District

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Country Has Been, if by chance you were referring to my posts, I said I know him more from playing against him not his coaching abilities (although I have seen him load the bases witha pair of intentional walks AFTER bringing in a pitcher who had only thrown a few innings all year). The results were negative to say the least. My take is that he like to be antagonistic towards opponents. I have even seen him take a couple of cheap shots on oppossing runners with extremely hard tags aimed at the faces of incoming runners. Now, I am an agressive player myself, but there is a difference between aggressive and dirty /cheap. That being said, I don't know him off the field and he may be an alright guy; he just doesn't project that image though. Peace.

Edited by Dr. Hibbert, 19 December 2006 - 03:52 PM.

#51 FTJ

All League

• Members
  • 43 posts

Member No.: 177

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

Not all is well in Jennings in regards to baseball. We have not been out of the sectionals in quite some time, possibly Jeff's entire coaching career. I could be wrong, I'm a big basketball fan and follow baseball very loosely. Also, I heard it was Jeff who approached O-G about their coaching job, not them approaching him.

From my take, what really hurts Jennings BB is the lack of a JV. I don't know why that is. They have plenty of kids who play at a younger age who give it up in High School. Could it be because of soccer, basketball, don't like the time committment or the coach, jobs,...?

I would like to hear any and all replys and comments. Thanks!!

#52 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

I think with the teams in PCL teams have struggled because of the lack of JV teams....we fall farther and farther behind the teams that do such as an OG or Ottoville.......
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#53 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(FrOnT RoW JOE @ Dec 20 2006, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think with the teams in PCL teams have struggled because of the lack of JV teams....we fall farther and farther behind the teams that do such as an OG or Ottoville.......

Joe,
A kid going out this year thinks we may have enough to possibly try a JV team!!! thumbup1.gif It will have to be more than the 14, somewhere like that, that went out last year. I believe you need around 17-20 to have a JV team. The good part about that is that you can have one pitcher and get away with it as they don't play as often as the Varsity team. Either way Coach Miller has been doing a great job of getting the varsity program in the right direction. I think last year we only had like 2-3 run rules where about 4 years ago we only had maybe 4-5 games that weren't run rules. If only we could get all of the kids up there with certain fundamentals before they try out for varsity we could be on the right track. rolleyes.gif
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#54 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

thats great news Labatts...I just cant see it happening yet can you?? I would love to have a JV team so that we can get the kids that dont play at the varsity level some time as well as a team to develop somne young players...If i remeber last years Pony league at alot of kids playing that would be freshamn though so maybe we have a shot at JV...

#55 KONG

All District

• Members
  • 158 posts

Member No.: 864

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

Has Continental ever had a jv team before? I cannot think of any.

#56 Dr. Hibbert

All District

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

thumbup1.gif Back in the early 80s Continental had a JV team, since then I would doubt if they had one.

#57 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(KONG @ Dec 27 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has Continental ever had a jv team before? I cannot think of any.

A JV team, not that I can remember. But they have sceduled JV games in the past when they had the numbers. I know they did in the 90's and I think maybe 2000. I remember them scrimmaging the Defiance JV and one other school back around when I graduated or right after. I doubt that we actually get a team but maybe some JV games scheduled would be the better wording. I guess we will have to wait and see how many kids actually go out or if the kid just had some false info. I hope not as I would like to see the interest in baseball continue to rise.

Edited by labatts69, 28 December 2006 - 08:46 AM.

Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#58 KONG

All District

• Members
  • 158 posts

Member No.: 864

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

It would be great to see more pcl teams have a jv team. I think MC and Leipsic and Kalida's army biggrin.gif are the only "full time" jvs.
Grove I think had a full time team last year. and, i think ottoville has been with a jv schedule but no team.Does anyone know if PG has ever had a jv?

#59 IknowMore

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Member No.: 1600

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

Hopefully more teams in the PCL can come through with JV teams. It's no coincidence that the 3 teams that consistently have JV teams (Kalida, Leipsic, and MC) are usually at the top of the league year in and year out.
"Ego is what stands between criticism and suggestion"

#60 BoobyMiles

All District

• Members
  • 197 posts

Member No.: 234

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Can't agree more, Iknow, they key to a program is getting experience, and with a jv team, more kids get the chance to blossom into great players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users