Jump to content



12th Annual "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS Rankings.......


28 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

    Stinkys Legend

  • [A] Administrator
  • 13,038 posts

    Joined: 28-December 05
    Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

As promised, and not a minute too soon the RC releases the 12th Annual "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls Basketball Rankings
for the 2012-13 season........

First off, a little history on our poll and how the Flounder & I came up with the idea of doing our first rankings back in 2001......everyone
knows that the AP has been attempting to rank teams for a long time, but quite frankly did a terrible job if I do say so myself :)
Knowing this and also having an interest in promoting the girls game of basketball after watching the disparity shown vs. the men's game
the Flound and I decided to do something about it...........first over on the old Huddle, and then in late 2005 when the RC came into existence
we have followed our hearts in trying to elevate the recognition that the women also deserve............

For the past 11 years our motto has always been "WE KNOW GIRLS BASKETBALL!" and during that time I can truthfully say that our knowledge
of the girls game takes a backseat to no one :bow2: .........While Tom Jenkins from the OGBR and Jim Dabbelt have certainly done their part in raising
the awareness throughout Ohio and beyond, it has been our goal of letting the casual fan in on some of the more intricate workings of the girls game...
and with just a touch of humility we feel that we have done just that ;)

Each year we give the AP voters about a 6 week advantage before they must declare their top 10's.........we've always said that they shouldn't even
bother.........a very simple "copy & paste" feature would save them an enormous amount of time and their accuracy would improve tremendously.....

The Flound hails from the Delphos area and anyone who knows girls basketball has to know the great tradition of the Delphos St. Johns Lady Jays :coffee:
So it's not too hard to imagine that he's forgotten more about the girls game than most people know........I, on the other hand come from the small burg
of Pandora, Ohio.........hardly known as a bastion of high school sports :rolleyes: .........but growing up in a houseful of women and having 2 of our own has
given me some pretty good insight on how women think and act on the basketball court, if not life itself......following the great Kalida, DSJ, and MC teams
early on led me to appreciate all the hard work these young ladies do, without all the hoopla that the boys game enjoys here around Putnam County.

Both the Flounder and I hope you enjoy our rankings and when the dust settles come the middle of March you can always look back at these first rankings and say to yourself, "Man, these guys KNOW GIRLS BASKETBALL!...........RM

Statewide
Division I

Kettering Fairmont
Reynoldsburg
Solon
Cincy Princeton
Twinsburg
Pickerington North
Gahanna Lincoln
Columbus Northland
Mason
Wadsworth

Division II

Millersburg West Holmes
Hathaway Brown
Clyde
Toledo Rogers
Bellbrook
Lima Bath
Walsh Jesuit
Celina
Kettering Alter
Miami Trace

Division III

Columbus Africentric
Orrville
Anna
Proctorville Fairland
Smithville
Beverly Fort Frye
Versailles
Miami East
Canton Central Catholic
Gates Mills Gilmour Academy

Division IV

Ottoville
Fort Loramie
Tri Village
Cincy Country Day
Berlin Hiland
Newark Catholic
Mansfield St. Pete
Marion Local
Minster
New Riegel
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings


#2 hoop_n_harm

    All District

  • Members
  • 263 posts

    Joined: 11-October 11
    Member No.: 9046

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Wow! Nicely done RM! Always thoroughly impressed with the knowledge you and Flound posess when it comes to girls hoops! Coming from a person who has lives and breathed around the girls hoop scene for over 10 years, I've never seen two dedicated people do what you guys do!

With all that said, it looks like the DII Ontario Region is STACKED with 6 teams in your Top 10!

If you and Flounder are free tomorrow, there is a big WBL matchup between your #6th ranked Lima Bath Wildkittens traveling to #8 Celina Lady Dogs. To make it even more mouthwatering, I will even give you two my passes to get in FREE of charge. What's not so tempting about watching two teams in your rankings!

PM me if you or Flounder are interested!

And yes I pulled a bribe lol! Who wouldn't to get two area teams more recognition and brownie points when it comes to future rankings :)

"Be True to Your School"--Beach Boys

Go Celina Bulldogs!

#3 40KnightElk

    All League

  • Members
  • 39 posts

    Joined: 05-December 08
    Member No.: 4235

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Gahanna Lincoln is listed twice in D-1? Should there be someone else listed in one of their spots?

#4 Rocketman

    Stinkys Legend

  • [A] Administrator
  • 13,038 posts

    Joined: 28-December 05
    Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

View Post40KnightElk, on 05 December 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Gahanna Lincoln is listed twice in D-1? Should there be someone else listed in one of their spots?

thanks..........the Wadsworth Bears get in
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#5 Mysterio

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,432 posts

    Joined: 17-January 06
    Member No.: 212

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Looks good Rocketman, as always could never argue with that list. Can't wait to see how close flounder comes to that list.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#6 flounder

    Stinkys Legend

  • [M] Moderator
  • 8,946 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 23
  • Location:Delta House---Faber College

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

After noticing yesterday that my buddy Rocketman decided it was time to post his finished product, I scrambled my packet of notes that I accumulated this past summer and made a attempt to rank my teams in some rational order......I never view Rocketman's first ranking, although it seems that we are never very far apart on our rankings.....I have always felt that both of our rankings are the original thoughts of each of us consisting of our own views towards all those teams we have followed over this past summer......I know those AP buffs never do such a thing......I even went to bed early last night and 'slept on it'.....just to make certain my decisions were correct......you see, there is a lot at stake here since the majority of our followers believe that....."we know girls high school basketball"

Well, all those fruitless hours spent in gyms this past summer will give our readers some form of proof that Rocketman and Flounder really do know their girls hoops..........during those hot summer months we devote most of our time evaluating a team's weakness and strengths..........while many of our friends and other pollsters are golfing and hitting the local taverns, we are in Rocketman's cherry 1986 Ford Fairlane buzzing down the interstate to take in more games........it is a never ending job, but we both feel that we owe it to our readers to give them the best product out there..... :hifive2:

I don't remember how many years we have been doing these polls......maybe 11, 12, or 13...I know I am close, but I still enjoy it....I especially enjoy when we have that certain reader who actually thinks our polls 'suck'...so to speak....I always love it when someone is being honest and gets right to the point.........so please, if you do feel this way, do not hesitate to let us know.......it probably won't change anything, but it will certainly aid us to know what we are dealing with :furious: ......

Well, just wanted to share a few things with our avid readers on what it is like to live a summer in our shoes.....now, it is time for my edition......as usual, feel free to post a reply and let us know how you feel about the polls.....and remember....these are the only accurate polls you will find all season.......so enjoy them!!!!!!!

D 1

Kettering Fairmont
Reynoldsburg
Cincy Princeton
Twinsburg
Centerville
Canton McKinley
Mason
Pickerington North
Solon
Wadsworth

Others: Sylvania Northview, Toledo Notre Dame, Columbus Northland, North Canton Hoover

D 2

West Holmes
Hathaway Brown
Bellbrook
Clyde
Toledo Rogers
Clinton Massie
Bellevue
Kettering Alter
Dayton Carroll
West Branch

Others: Celina, Lima Bath, Akron Hoban, Indian Creek, Chaminade Julienne

D 3

Africentric
Beverly Fort Frye
Proctorville Fairland
Smithville
Anna
Canton Central Catholic
Orrville
Mansfield Madison
Versailles
Miami East

Others: Ironton, Hamilton Badin, Gilmour Academy, Liberty Benton, Archbold

D 4

Berlin Hiland
Newark Catholic
Fort Loramie
Reedsville Eastern
Marion Local
New Knoxville
Mansfield St Peter's
New Madison Tri-Village
Ottoville
Minster

Others: New Riegel, Zanesville Rosencrans, Fort Recovery, Garaway, South Webster, Arcadia

#7 DonnyDonuts

    All District

  • Members
  • 131 posts

    Joined: 24-January 12
    Member No.: 9180

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Last year I kept campainging thinking we should have been ranked a little higher and at the end of the season I think we earned a little respect with a regional runner-up finish after losing to the state champ Arlington team. This year I think it is to early for us to be ranked as high as we are. We have a tough month of December and a lot of questions will start to be answered by the firsst of the year. Keep us in mind and an eye out for us because if things continue to progress and a few things fall in line we hope to be there late in the tourney again. I'm once again going to enjoy the ride.

#8 von

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,460 posts

    Joined: 14-December 06
    Member No.: 1604

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postflounder, on 06 December 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

After noticing yesterday that my buddy Rocketman decided it was time to post his finished product, I scrambled my packet of notes that I accumulated this past summer and made a attempt to rank my teams in some rational order......I never view Rocketman's first ranking, although it seems that we are never very far apart on our rankings.....I have always felt that both of our rankings are the original thoughts of each of us consisting of our own views towards all those teams we have followed over this past summer......I know those AP buffs never do such a thing......I even went to bed early last night and 'slept on it'.....just to make certain my decisions were correct......you see, there is a lot at stake here since the majority of our followers believe that....."we know girls high school basketball"

Well, all those fruitless hours spent in gyms this past summer will give our readers some form of proof that Rocketman and Flounder really do know their girls hoops..........during those hot summer months we devote most of our time evaluating a team's weakness and strengths..........while many of our friends and other pollsters are golfing and hitting the local taverns, we are in Rocketman's cherry 1986 Ford Fairlane buzzing down the interstate to take in more games........it is a never ending job, but we both feel that we owe it to our readers to give them the best product out there..... :hifive2:

I don't remember how many years we have been doing these polls......maybe 11, 12, or 13...I know I am close, but I still enjoy it....I especially enjoy when we have that certain reader who actually thinks our polls 'suck'...so to speak....I always love it when someone is being honest and gets right to the point.........so please, if you do feel this way, do not hesitate to let us know.......it probably won't change anything, but it will certainly aid us to know what we are dealing with :furious: ......

Well, just wanted to share a few things with our avid readers on what it is like to live a summer in our shoes.....now, it is time for my edition......as usual, feel free to post a reply and let us know how you feel about the polls.....and remember....these are the only accurate polls you will find all season.......so enjoy them!!!!!!!

D 1

Kettering Fairmont
Reynoldsburg
Cincy Princeton
Twinsburg
Centerville
Canton McKinley
Mason
Pickerington North
Solon
Wadsworth

Others: Sylvania Northview, Toledo Notre Dame, Columbus Northland, North Canton Hoover

D 2

West Holmes
Hathaway Brown
Bellbrook
Clyde
Toledo Rogers
Clinton Massie
Bellevue
Kettering Alter
Dayton Carroll
West Branch

Others: Celina, Lima Bath, Akron Hoban, Indian Creek, Chaminade Julienne

D 3

Africentric
Beverly Fort Frye
Proctorville Fairland
Smithville
Anna
Canton Central Catholic
Orrville
Mansfield Madison
Versailles
Miami East

Others: Ironton, Hamilton Badin, Gilmour Academy, Liberty Benton, Archbold

D 4

Berlin Hiland
Newark Catholic
Fort Loramie
Reedsville Eastern
Marion Local
New Knoxville
Mansfield St Peter's
New Madison Tri-Village
Ottoville
Minster

Others: New Riegel, Zanesville Rosencrans, Fort Recovery, Garaway, South Webster, Arcadia
Flounder, You are a little tough on my Lady Green, but I agree you have to earn you stripes. Go Green......

#9 flounder

    Stinkys Legend

  • [M] Moderator
  • 8,946 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 23
  • Location:Delta House---Faber College

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

von.......

I think the Lady Green are starting to play better as of late......there are a bunch of really good D4 teams in our area....it will be a tough go to make it to Cbus this season!!!!!!

#10 Mysterio

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,432 posts

    Joined: 17-January 06
    Member No.: 212

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postflounder, on 06 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

von.......

I think the Lady Green are starting to play better as of late......there are a bunch of really good D4 teams in our area....it will be a tough go to make it to Cbus this season!!!!!!

Well since the game against Crestview I think the Lady Green woke up a little bit against Fort Jennings. Their schedule will say a lot about them this year as they added Liberty Benton, they'll have Ada at the end of the month and always the battles with Bath, DSJ, DJ, Bluffton, Minster, etc. and will finish with McComb at the end of the season. They got a lot to prove after finishing 20-0 and #1 in the polls 2 of the last 3 years but failing to make any noise in the tournament. But indeed flounder it will be a tough road for any team.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#11 UpandUnder

    All League

  • Members
  • 22 posts

    Joined: 20-August 08
    Member No.: 3726

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I believe you want your rankings to be as accurate as possible. Mansfield Madison has 325 girls and is in D II not D III. Thought you would like to know.

#12 von

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,460 posts

    Joined: 14-December 06
    Member No.: 1604

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postflounder, on 06 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

von....... I think the Lady Green are starting to play better as of late......there are a bunch of really good D4 teams in our area....it will be a tough go to make it to Cbus this season!!!!!!

View Postflounder, on 06 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

von....... I think the Lady Green are starting to play better as of late......there are a bunch of really good D4 teams in our area....it will be a tough go to make it to Cbus this season!!!!!!
Flounder, I agree with Berlin, Highland, it will be tough.

#13 grub

    All District

  • Members
  • 421 posts

    Joined: 03-January 06
    Member No.: 78

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

Well it is that time of year to once again thank the RC for all of their wisdom and knowledge (cough, cough.... must be all alergies :) ) and their fine site to promote girls bball. And on that note it's also time to shine some semi-wisdom and fine tune the initial rankings. Nothing major but just a few tidbits to throw out there to help. First off, whatever you do, do not rank Liberty Benton in any future polls. I know, I know, past history, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is they are nowhere close to the team of past years. I believe their record hovers around .500 with losses to St. Wendelin and another not so great team that I cannot think of right off. Second, three words, Ar ca dia. remember those and they will serve you well in D4 rankings in the future. Bellevue will disapear from the top ten (shouldn't be there anyway). Name to remember, Western Reserve. Not too shabby a club and will be sporting a record around the .700 mark. Of coarse Clyde will run the table with maybe a loss at the Classic. Side note, Amanda Cahill verbaled to Indiana and congrats to her. Mansfield Madison!? Someone have a meth lab in your area? Those fumes must be drifting your way. Please seek medical attention.

A little shoutout to my Lady Rams of Upper, stumbled out of the gate but should have a pretty good season and might also be a "other" in the bottom of one your polls by seasons end.

Anyhoo, great to see the polls up and you guys out of the gates without falling down flat :)

#14 PostPlayer

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,009 posts

    Joined: 14-November 09
    Member No.: 5317

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postgrub, on 08 December 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Well it is that time of year to once again thank the RC for all of their wisdom and knowledge (cough, cough.... must be all alergies :) ) and their fine site to promote girls bball. And on that note it's also time to shine some semi-wisdom and fine tune the initial rankings. Nothing major but just a few tidbits to throw out there to help. First off, whatever you do, do not rank Liberty Benton in any future polls. I know, I know, past history, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is they are nowhere close to the team of past years. I believe their record hovers around .500 with losses to St. Wendelin and another not so great team that I cannot think of right off. Second, three words, Ar ca dia. remember those and they will serve you well in D4 rankings in the future. Bellevue will disapear from the top ten (shouldn't be there anyway). Name to remember, Western Reserve. Not too shabby a club and will be sporting a record around the .700 mark. Of coarse Clyde will run the table with maybe a loss at the Classic. Side note, Amanda Cahill verbaled to Indiana and congrats to her. Mansfield Madison!? Someone have a meth lab in your area? Those fumes must be drifting your way. Please seek medical attention.

A little shoutout to my Lady Rams of Upper, stumbled out of the gate but should have a pretty good season and might also be a "other" in the bottom of one your polls by seasons end.

Anyhoo, great to see the polls up and you guys out of the gates without falling down flat :)

That 2nd team you cannot think of is Arlington - defending state champions DIV - that beat LB in the first BVC game this year.
As for your Arcadia comment - I, too, was high on them coming into this year. I really thought they would roll thru the BVC, but they have had some serious early season struggles in losing to Ada (gulp), and then to Leipsic in a close one. All of the sudden, Arcadia AND LB are needing some upsets in the BVC to get back into it. I gotta feeling Arcadia will be just fine in the end, but also cannot ignore McComb who has a nice blend of size and speed...Oh, and did I mention Arlington is currently on a 29 game winning streak???

Edited by PostPlayer, 08 December 2012 - 09:10 AM.

Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#15 flounder

    Stinkys Legend

  • [M] Moderator
  • 8,946 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 23
  • Location:Delta House---Faber College

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

grubster.....

Good to hear that you like our rankings....your kind words always make my day......remember that Rocketman and Flounder are still fine tuning these rankings......they will only get better!!!!!

#16 DonnyDonuts

    All District

  • Members
  • 131 posts

    Joined: 24-January 12
    Member No.: 9180

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I want to throw Carey HS into the discussion as well. I saw them play last week, they have size, and outside shooters and have the potential to make a deep run.

Edited by DonnyDonuts, 08 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.


#17 grub

    All District

  • Members
  • 421 posts

    Joined: 03-January 06
    Member No.: 78

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostDonnyDonuts, on 08 December 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

I want to throw Carey HS into the discussion as well. I saw them play last week, they have size, and outside shooters and have the potential to make a deep run.

Upper's only loss, 58-55, First game of the season

#18 Captain_Brinn

    All District

  • Members
  • 313 posts

    Joined: 26-February 08
    Member No.: 3394

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Crestview looks to be good again. They only lost to Ottoville by a few points in the tip off classic and haven't lost since. Watch out for the Bauer girl.....sensational freshman who may end up being one of Crestview's best ever.
www.captainbrinn.blogspot.com

#19 flounder

    Stinkys Legend

  • [M] Moderator
  • 8,946 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 23
  • Location:Delta House---Faber College

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Captain.....

Great to hear from you.....man, it has been awhile...and yes, I know Crestview has some talent...both boys and girls...on the boys side, I really enjoyed watching the Etzler lad...only a junior, I believe, but is a really nice player....I look forward to watching your lady Knights!!!!!

#20 CTX_1

    All State

  • Members
  • 574 posts

    Joined: 14-January 08
    Member No.: 3186

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Agree with Captain Brinn---the Bauer girl is gonna be an elite player.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users