22 replies to this topic

#1 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...nned-postseason

Found this article interesting. I guess with coaches voting on seeds I don't see it as that big of deal in Ohio, but perhaps in football where they are done by computer it could happen. Still seems hard to fathom.

#2 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 9576

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

OHSAA should look at limiting who is in the basketball playoffs. Everyone gets to start the season over with the start of tournament play. Why? Football doesn't let everyone in?
Why not have a computerized basketball playoff?

Some of the first round scores are just not basketball. Why play them? How would it all come together? Or do you set a limit that teams have to be .500 to be in the playoffs?
an 0-22 team playing the #1 seed at 21-1 is just a mess waiting to happen.

I know someone is going to come on and say look at the cinderellas out there that come from nowhere to make it to state...got it...but, still, even the NCAA doesn't allow all teams in...

It would make going to a sectional game more interesting if the teams were actually playing for something, but right now with the super sectionals starting in NW ohio...alot of first round and some second round games are just going to be blow outs...with low turnout. just an opinion....

#3 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

I'm with Stew, basketball isn't as taxing physically, and football, being a once a week game makes it tough to include everyone. In Indiana, they play 8 or 9 regular season games, and included everyone in the playoffs.
The one downside of the super sectional format is that you do get these top/ bottom matchups and it can be ugly the first few rounds.

#4 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

But back on point, I saw that story too. It's really hard for me to believe there would be two high school level coaches that would do this. Little league? Pee wee football, yes. But these are supposedly leaders of their schools, teaching kids about life, etc.
Imagine a kid intentionally throwing the ball out of bounds? Or shooting at the wrong hoop intentionally?

#5 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

Heck it seems like PG has been doing this like forever.......
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#6 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

The kids deserve to be banned from the rest of the tourney....they obviously were in on it. The coaches should be banned for life.....there's no place for that in HS sports

#7 Rusty Shackleford

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 9458

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

Minster 91, Ridgemont 15 final tonight... Read what you will into that score ...

#8 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

This is nothing new. Did you watch the Super Bowl? Maybe Vegas had a line on this game and the gals needed some easy cash.

#9 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

Trivillage 83 Dayton Jefferson 5.

Other scores:

88-19

I think team's should be required to have won at least 8 games to be in tournament. Team's get frustrated, and do things that create problems.
I understand the thoughts of team's working hard to get better, but obviously some can't get better. It just won't happen.
After going 0-22 or what ever, the working to get better doesn't show up in results, and the outcome is pretty easy to figure out...even watching a team warm-up...I think it would make the playoffs more competitive.
If adding 5 more games to regular season would make you happy then I'm ok with it, as long as they then make the changes to the playoff format.

#10 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

Easiest solution is keep your districts how they are, but only advance the top 75% of teams or something. That way you at least cut out the 0-22 or 1-21 teams out there.

#11 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Member No.: 2616

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

1992-93 season:

Coldwater's boys basketball team finishes the regular season 4-16, and goes on a heck of a run, reeling off six wins before falling in the state semis. I'm not willing to take that chance away from another team.
Coldwater Cavaliers--20 State Titles and Counting!!!!

#12 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

While your theory of limiting playoff teams may make sense from a competitive standpoint, it simply isn't going to happen. The OHSAA will not DECREAST playoff games and opportunites for revenue. They have few revenue opportunities to begin with. The only reason football doesn't allow everyone in the playoffs is that it's just not physically possible. You'd have to have a 6 game regular season in Ohio to make it work, because you're not going to have high school kids play two games a week, or play 20 games in a season.

I also think it's good for kids to go through the tournament experience. As much as we try to say it's just another game, tournament games are viewed differently. Look at the people that come to a tournament game who rarely goes to regular season games.

#13 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

I get it, they are not going to change the format...you win! 28 games played in the DI sectionals with a 47 point margin between the winners and the losers...47 point margin in victory....wow...that is basketball!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, you are going to have that game or 2 or 3 in the regular season where it is going to happen...but that is scheduling. I said from the get go, the arguments were going to be for the 4-16 team that goes on a tear and gets to the state semi final. Far and few between...just doesn't happen that often.

Don't care to watch 47 point blow outs. It happens in the regular season, but if you have a bench mark of 8 or 9 wins to be in...some of these first round games would be more competitive...granted you may still have 1 or 2 that are blow outs...

My kids are long gone...don't need to worry about hurt feeling here. I don't feel that I am way out of bounds. That is just you saying that. I think narrowing the field down to those that earn the right to be there is the way to go.

Tournament time is tough enough. You get one of your top players hurt in a nothing game and he or she is gone for the rest of your tournament run...and it happens in one of these 47, 50, 60, or 70 point blow outs and you will ask why you had to play that nothing game....

just sayin....

#14 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

i think teams should have to earn that right to have a tournament experience, better teams have to risk injuires against teams that are just not good enough to compete against them. You should have to win at least 5 games or 6 games, someone is always going to feel left out if you do that but guess what get better. But I agree with that there has be a min. amount of wins.

Stewart, I do believe how the pairing are done, that teams that could have taken that bye elected not to and play their first game so it got handed down to Kenton by Default. And having play in games two terrible teams can play each other to get a win, isn't the answer either. If Everyone is in, then the lower seeds are meant to have the harder path so that the better teams can potentially meet down the road.

I do however realize that the old mighty dollar wins out alot, and the more games played the more revenue is created for the hosting HS, and everyone up the line, so I am guessing this won't change.

On topic--I think both of those teams though instead of not playing should have been paired up with the top two seeds from the get go which is what they were trying to advoid. I realize the girls knew but they are HS girls doing what Coaches instructed them, so Firing the coaches yes, but the girls should still been able to play.

Edited by gamekeeper, 26 February 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#15 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

True to form, $$$ will win the discussion.

Super run by Coldwater, got it! IT does not happen very often, not often enough to keep watching horrible basketball...not even basketball.

The idea does hold water...so much so that the State and Federation are considering running clocks...heck, scores are so bad we now are going to consider having a running clock after a certain spread...should it be 25, 30 points??? Then they have an option out there for using a shot clock...some of these teams can't even hold onto the ball long enough to use the shot clock.

I would bang the drum for teams to have to have 8 wins in order to be considered to be in the playoffs...AGAIN...I know it is not going to change, but, I just wondered if it would generate discussion, and what others thought of it...28 games playes in DI sectionals with a 47-48 point margin. Not even worth the $7.00 to get in the door to watch!!!

Half time scores: 55-1, 43-3, 48-3, 38-2...

#16 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

View Postzerodrama, on 26 February 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Super run by Coldwater, got it! IT does not happen very often, not often enough to keep watching horrible basketball...not even basketball.

The idea does hold water...so much so that the State and Federation are considering running clocks...heck, scores are so bad we now are going to consider having a running clock after a certain spread...should it be 25, 30 points??? Then they have an option out there for using a shot clock...some of these teams can't even hold onto the ball long enough to use the shot clock.

I would bang the drum for teams to have to have 8 wins in order to be considered to be in the playoffs...AGAIN...I know it is not going to change, but, I just wondered if it would generate discussion, and what others thought of it...28 games playes in DI sectionals with a 47-48 point margin. Not even worth the $7.00 to get in the door to watch!!!

I think it was 1994 when DSJ finished the regular season 5-14 and got to the state semi-finals beating several teams with 3x as many wins.

#17 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

View Postzerodrama, on 26 February 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

I suggest you just don't go to a game that should end up a blowout. OHSAA doesn't need your money......Hawaii trips have been cut back quite a bit.......LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#18 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

SL, you get a little testy about this discussion...Don't understand the sarcasm, you can't have a good discussion about a topic???

I don't understand why you come across as being so offended by the idea?

What good does it do the team to pay a game against a team that has no chance to win...can only muster 5 points in a game, our 15 in the latest blowout game...

Just eliminate those team's that don't have 8 wins. Then play the tourney.

Better yet, have two tournaments...one for 8+ win team's, then have one for team's under 8....lol

#19 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

zero, I do like you're thinking outside the box. But as I pointed out earlier, the goal isn't to have good competitive games. It's to have all the teams play in a tournament style format. Football simply can't due to how football is structured, once per week, no more than 15 games per season.

This happened in all sports, the first few rounds are rough. In volleyball, it’s the 25-3, 25-4, 25-5 first round games. In wrestling, it’s the 10 second pin. In track, it’s the 400 meter dash run of the first place 50 seconds, to last place 1:30. It’s about the competition, not the results.

#20 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostLimaJock, on 26 February 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

I suggest you just don't go to a game that should end up a blowout.
I'll agree with this. No one makes fans attend if you "know" it's going to be ugly. However, I'd hate to be that fan that thinks their team should win & end up missing a good contest where their team fails to advance. If you're a fan of Liberty-Benton (#2 in the state, 22-0), I'd save your money on Saturday, rather than watch the sectional final against Kenton (2-17). Prepare for a closer district semifinal.

Now, some blowouts happen that aren't widely expected: In the same district Wednesday, #6 seed Coldwater (entered 12-10) demolished #9 seed Bluffton (entered 9-12), 73-20. While I know the MAC is tougher than the NWC, I'm not sure anyone saw this being a 53-point win. Sometimes blowouts happen, even against like-record teams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users