How do small schools compare to bigger schools in athletics?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Bigguy210

All League

• Members
  • 26 posts

Member No.: 9422

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Any comparisons???

#2 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

That's such a vague question, but I'll give it a shot. Larger schools obviously have more sports available, more students to choose from, potentially more dollars to work with. The nice thing about smaller schools is more kids get a chance to participate in sports. What I mean is for NW Ohio, when you have schools that normally have 60-70 kids in a graduating class, most of the kids in the school can participate in a sport, even if their skills are not great. Conversely, for a school that may have 300-500 kids per graduating class, the talent pool is much more competitive, and many times kids feel they have to specialize in one sport.
There are different philosophies in school sports, and if you are looking at a particular school, you may want to research this. The medium size school fall into this sometimes. That is, it's more important that MORE KIDS participate in sports than the level of success these teams have. I'll make a generalization, some smaller schools try to have both soccer and football in the fall. There are very, very few schools that can pull this off and be successful in either sport, let alone both. The talent just gets spread too thin on both teams. Yes, more kids are participating, but neither program achieves the highest level because you take too many good athletes off of one team.
Also, smaller schools, again, in general, have great followings. Small towns, small communities have a great, loyal, generation after generation following. Many larger schools only have the parents of the kids participating at that time who follow the programs.

#3 Bigguy210

All League

• Members
  • 26 posts

Member No.: 9422

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

True.. True

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users