316 replies to this topic

#41 BigGreen

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Member No.: 9536

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

View Postbasketballstud, on 20 February 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Why is the kids always to blame? Seriously? When a college team doesn't perform the coach gets fired. When a NBA team doesn't perform the coach gets fired. Just lay off the kids. If a coach treats the team or an individual like a pile of turds, why would you want to put yourself through that. Better off going to library and getting an academic scholarship then having a coach who thinks he's the greatest thing on earth treat you/team like turds. im sure flounder will have a comment. Because he has a bromance over TT!!!! ������

HS basketball is very different than NCAA and NBA. You can't even make a comparison. In the NCAA, the coaches are in charge of bringing players in, so if it isn't working out, it's the coach to blame. In the NBA, you work with professional athletes. In HS basketball, you get who is born in your school district (minus private schools that recruit). You can't blame TT for the lack of talent in Ottoville.

Also, students who quit basketball probably don't go and spend a couple hours per day in the library after school and stay at home and doing homework on weekend nights since they are not playing basketball. I would bet they go home and play video games and probably drink on the weekends. Maybe get a part time job. Who knows? There's actually research behind students who play sports performing better in academics, so that's not a good argument either.

Maybe the coach has some to do with it, maybe not. Either way, I've never really respected players that quit in the middle of the season because of the coach. IMO, you don't play for the coach. You play for your teammates and for your school and community.

Edited by BigGreen, 20 February 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#42 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Big Green hit it out of the park. Video games, beer and rules are a major reason for the downturn in high school athletics. God forbid you wait until 21 to start drinking and actually care about representing your school and town as an athlete. Ottoville should be happy that they at least have a strong girls program with ladies who are dedicated and care.

#43 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

Studly......

I do not have a bromance with Todd Turnwald.....I just feel that the current demise of Ottoville basketball should not be placed on the head coach.....I hate it when a kid quits once the season starts....he knew it was going to be tough, but took the easy way out.....

Also...BigGreen has 2 very good posts that you should read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Ottoville finishes the season with Wayne Trace (which they will most likely lose).......and would finish 8-12 (why don't the Big Green play the allotted 22 games?).

8-12 seems about right for this group's talent level, if not a bit over-achieving. basketballstud, what specifically did you expect out of this season, record-wise?

#45 BigGreen

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Ottoville finishes the season with Wayne Trace (which they will most likely lose).......and would finish 8-12 (why don't the Big Green play the allotted 22 games?).

8-12 seems about right for this group's talent level, if not a bit over-achieving. basketballstud, what specifically did you expect out of this season, record-wise?

I think they had trouble filling out the schedule because they could not provide whole JV games. Many teams probably dropped Ottoville in favor of schools that could play all 4 quarters of JV.

#46 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Member No.: 9379

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I don't care for kids who quit either but I don't care even more about coaches who quit on the players. I'm sure a .500 would've been nice Maltese. BigGreen probably never attended a game this season to realize how bad of a coach TT is. IMO I was comparing how the coach should be blamed instead of the kids. THEY ARE KIDS! Talent level isn't bad. Im trying to remember but I believe this year junior class was really good until TT got a hold of them in high school. I really love how everyone blames the kids and sits behind the keyboard and bashes them for being lazy video game playing drunks.

#47 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

View Postmaddog, on 20 February 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Big Green hit it out of the park. Video games, beer and rules are a major reason for the downturn in high school athletics. God forbid you wait until 21 to start drinking and actually care about representing your school and town as an athlete. Ottoville should be happy that they at least have a strong girls program with ladies who are dedicated and care.
they have a coach who gives a $#it. That's why girls program has been successful.

#48 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

I think basketballstud should put his name at the top of the list to replace the current coach. He seems to have a strong desire to make the program better and wants a change. It is so easy to complain and crab about the current situation without making a commitment. I also stand by my assertion that the Ottoville boys have a rep for being lazy and liking the brew more than the chance to play sports and be part of the team. Good luck with your Crusade.

#49 BigGreen

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

View Postbasketballstud, on 20 February 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I don't care for kids who quit either but I don't care even more about coaches who quit on the players. I'm sure a .500 would've been nice Maltese. BigGreen probably never attended a game this season to realize how bad of a coach TT is. IMO I was comparing how the coach should be blamed instead of the kids. THEY ARE KIDS! Talent level isn't bad. Im trying to remember but I believe this year junior class was really good until TT got a hold of them in high school. I really love how everyone blames the kids and sits behind the keyboard and bashes them for being lazy video game playing drunks.

I've only been able to make it to a few games this year, but I don't think one can judge a coach based on how they appear to be coaching during a game. From what I could tell, TT looked just like any other coach during a basketball game. You might say the talent level isn't bad, but from what I could tell, it's not good either. One class doesn't make for a good team. It's more likely you'll need two or three strong classes to really be competitive. And yes, I say this from behind a keyboard, because that is how this website works.

Like maddog said, when the position becomes open like you want it to, I would love to see you name at the top of the list of applicants. I'm sure the whole town will get behind you.

#50 erniefurgler

All District

• Members
  • 195 posts

Member No.: 3470

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Why is the kids always to blame? Seriously? When a college team doesn't perform the coach gets fired. When a NBA team doesn't perform the coach gets fired. Just lay off the kids. If a coach treats the team or an individual like a pile of turds, why would you want to put yourself through that. Better off going to library and getting an academic scholarship then having a coach who thinks he's the greatest thing on earth treat you/team like turds. im sure flounder will have a comment. Because he has a bromance over TT!!!! ������

Since this diatribe was in response to my original post, I feel compelled to respond. It appears you feel my comment was directed squarely at Oville kids; while they were included, this was not exclusive to them...hence the multiple schools mentioned and even multiple sports. This was more of a general observation of the current state of HS athletics in the area. I would be curious to know if other parts of the state are in the same situation? The numbers issue goes all the way down to the junior high level. The PCL 7th grade girls tourney includes LCC this year due to a lack of teams

#51 Sports Fanatic

All League

• Members
  • 46 posts

Member No.: 4622

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

I've been following this thread very closely and feel it's time to respond. 9 times out of 10, I defend the coach in times like this. But in this case, knowing what I know, I think the blame falls squarely on TT's shoulders. Again, quitting in the middle of the season is never a good thing, but honestly the player made the right choice here. If the season was a month longer, a couple more players would be quitting as well according to what I'm told. And for the record, it has nothing to do with hard practices or video games. Or drinking...there's plenty of time for that after games on the weekends.

#52 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostSports Fanatic, on 21 February 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

I've been following this thread very closely and feel it's time to respond. 9 times out of 10, I defend the coach in times like this. But in this case, knowing what I know, I think the blame falls squarely on TT's shoulders. Again, quitting in the middle of the season is never a good thing, but honestly the player made the right choice here. If the season was a month longer, a couple more players would be quitting as well according to what I'm told. And for the record, it has nothing to do with hard practices or video games. Or drinking...there's plenty of time for that after games on the weekends.
Sports Fanatic, what do you know that makes you blame the coach? In looking at this situation I believe there are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

#53 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

If the accepted narrative is that it's the coach's fault, then it will turn out to be the coach's fault, even if it's not. When you have people in town spouting negativity like basketballstud and Sports Fanatic, that sort of crap builds on itself. As it continues to build, the only thing that can save a coach's job is an administration and a board with backbone.

#54 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 22 February 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

If the accepted narrative is that it's the coach's fault, then it will turn out to be the coach's fault, even if it's not. When you have people in town spouting negativity like basketballstud and Sports Fanatic, that sort of crap builds on itself. As it continues to build, the only thing that can save a coach's job is an administration and a board with backbone.
Negativity or Truth?

#55 BigGreen

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Stud, what do you propose to fix this situation? Do you actually think firing TT and hiring anyone else will solve all of the problems? Will a head coaching change lead to a 15 win season and a league championship? Moreover, what is the reason to fire him? Has he done anything worthy of losing his job? You keep saying he quits, but from what I can tell, he hasn't. What insight do you have that shows evidence of him "quitting on the team"?

Like others have stated, this team has performed to the level of their talent, if not above. It's just the same old song and dance in Ottoville. Running another coach out of town won't fix a thing.

#56 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

View PostBigGreen, on 22 February 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Stud, what do you propose to fix this situation? Do you actually think firing TT and hiring anyone else will solve all of the problems? Will a head coaching change lead to a 15 win season and a league championship? Moreover, what is the reason to fire him? Has he done anything worthy of losing his job? You keep saying he quits, but from what I can tell, he hasn't. What insight do you have that shows evidence of him "quitting on the team"?

Like others have stated, this team has performed to the level of their talent, if not above. It's just the same old song and dance in Ottoville. Running another coach out of town won't fix a thing.
BigGreen, first off you stated you've only been to a couple games. So how do you really have an opinion. I've went to every game boys and girls and several junior high games. when TT was at Grove he won PCL coach of year and Grove couldn't wait to get rid of him. From people I've talked to. Now he's here. Been 6 years and I really don't care about everyone saying talent level isn't up. How long does being patient and letting his program work. He's a head case.

Secondly several games Ada, Crestview, Minster, and most recently Continental.

Thirdly ask past players and those lazy video game beer guzzling current players.

Never mind Todd Turnwald for president. Make Ottoville Great again. Smh

#57 BigGreen

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

View Postbasketballstud, on 22 February 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

BigGreen, first off you stated you've only been to a couple games. So how do you really have an opinion. I've went to every game boys and girls and several junior high games. when TT was at Grove he won PCL coach of year and Grove couldn't wait to get rid of him. From people I've talked to. Now he's here. Been 6 years and I really don't care about everyone saying talent level isn't up. How long does being patient and letting his program work. He's a head case.

Secondly several games Ada, Crestview, Minster, and most recently Continental.

Thirdly ask past players and those lazy video game beer guzzling current players.

Never mind Todd Turnwald for president. Make Ottoville Great again. Smh

You're right, I've only been to a couple of games, but I've been around basketball long enough to be able to form my own opinions. I'm glad that you're a dedicated Ottoville fan. If there's one thing not to question, it's the support of the Ottoville faithful. I never heard anything bad about TT from his days at Grove, where he had really great success. He left that program when they were at their top to come over to his alma matter to rebuild. That doesn't really sound like someone who is a quitter to me.

How does a coach act when he is quitting during a game? Furthermore, how would you know his intent during the game? It's hard to know exactly what is going on in the moment. Again, you may be right because I've only been to a few games.

However, I'm still more upset about the player that quit with two weeks to go until tournament. I think the kid was even a starter. Talk about leaving your teammates out to dry... Quitting because of a coach is a dumb reason to quit, especially during the middle of the season.

#58 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

I do agree on the kid who quit. Never good beginning, mid or end season. Part on the movie Hoosiers where the dad walks kid who quit back into practice and makes kid apologize. Kid sat until his punishment was over then went on to win. Not saying Ottoville is the Hoosiers but a good moral part of movie

#59 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 22 February 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Good point paperboy, but Ottoville has had this very problem over the years......the big problem that I see and it doesn't just relate to Ottoville is DISCIPLINE.....omg, please don't bring this word up.....as long as kids can't see the advantage of discipline, then they are lost......I have watched Ottoville play for years......the only times I have ever witnessed discipline in their players were under coaches Korto, McMillan and Todd....I feel that until they are disciplined, they will continue to have problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember.....'Graveyard of Coaches'.........if Todd leaves, this community will be hurting to find a replacement....that is unless studly applies!!!!!

#60 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

stud, thanks for going to the games. I wish more people would do that. If you go Saturday please tell the Lady Green to take it easy on us. I'm a realist. As soon as that game is over I'm a Lady Green fan all the way. I have some very good friends down there and as long as they're happy they keep buying.

I do know a lot of people from Grove also and they supported coach Turnwald when he was there. I'm sure some fans wanted him gone but never did I hear them say anything bad about him or the program.

I don't know the answer to this but when has a recent boys team there had a great season?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users