Why it is easy to root against LCC!!

127 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogbert28

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 426

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

At last nights volleyball match which was one easily by LCC, their coach showed why everyone outside of Lima is beginning to hate LCC even more. This classless act occured between game 2 and game 3, after they had already stomped on Grove the first two games. After the kill to seal the deal in game 2, he was jumping around, fist pumping, and was excited, which I have no problem with, but when he approached one of the Grove girls and got in their face and said "Whose court is this now"; that is just wrong. Dave Franklin, knows alot of the Grove girls because he has coached them in club at Findlay University during the last couple years, and too get in the face of one of them, when they are already upset after being down 2 games is just chickens--t!! This girl comes to the huddle crying and then Grove goes out and gets swept. After the match, Franklin tries to butter up to Grove's coach and ask if she wanted him to apologize to the girls. She said they didn't want to hear his apology and I'm sure they still don't want to hear it now. Usually we try to root for our fellow conference teams to do well in tournament, but you can bet your a-- you won't get anybody from Grove rooting for you. This after I thought that the 2 teams had just done a terrific job of raising over $17,000 for breast cancer and then your coach goes out and acts like a jerk, putting another dagger in the already strained relationship between Grove and LCC. My favorite team in the tournament is whoever is playing LCC..

#2 clarett_fan2003

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Member No.: 2059

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

If that indeed did happen, then that is a very classless thing for Coach Franklin to have done. However, he also realized that and tried to apologize. Not that that makes things right, but at least it he put forth an effort to try to correct what he did. That's all he could have done at that point.

But, in saying that, if the actions of one man makes it easier for you to root against an entire school than that says more about you than anything else. What did the actual LCC girls do to make you want THEM to lose? Don't let the mistake of one person make you judge an entire group.

And, from the title of your topic, it's pretty clear that you already had a disdain for LCC and were looking for a reason to root against them.

#3 NoSoup4U

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Member No.: 506

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:02 PM

If the event happen as explained then there is no excuse for those actions by the LCC coach...............................

I got to see one of LCC volleyball games this year and thought their players actions were no worse or no better than the actions of many other teams. Volleyball as a whole needs to clean up the reaction, cheers and gestures after a point is scored. Many of the gestured that I witnessed during this years games would have gotten you a 15 yard penalty on a football field........................

What is or could be the penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct????????????

#4 dawgbone

All District

• Members
  • 288 posts

Member No.: 310

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Unsportsmanlike penalties are penalized first with a yellow card (coaches may no longer stand and coach; warning to a player), then a red card (penalized by point to opponent), and then a combination red/yellow card which results in the coach or player being ejected from the game. I have seen cards given, but never an ejection.

Volleyball is a game of momentum. Girls seem to be able to stay motivated by cheering. The cheers, as long as they're cheering for their team and not against the other team, are fine. What's the problem with it? A team isn't allowed to celebrate a good play? Toughen up people.

I was at the LCC / Grove game last night and saw or heard no such exchange between LCC's coach and anyone from Grove. I was fairly close to the scorer's table, too. I saw the coach jump up after the final point, which by the way was the result of a nice hit by an LCC player. Then he was in the huddle with his own players. I sure didn't see anything as described above.

As a long-time sports fan, it's always easy to "root" against teams that always seem to win. It's easy to find flaws and pick at them. I do it too...like I hated the Broncos for always beating the Browns and I hated the Yankees for always winning in baseball. But, my emotional attachment to my teams didn't diminish the talent of either the Broncos or the Yankees. I think teams in the NWC are reacting much in kind to LCC. The "new kid on the block" coming in and winning championships 2 years in a row. That's my personal assessment.

#5 OhioDog5

All District

• Members
  • 221 posts

Member No.: 2874

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

HAHHA I think this is so funny and LCC is a joke. I was also at the game, and first off let me say their team is very good and talented. Their coach is a jack-I DID see their coach get in the girls face. And I can name you the player that he said this too also. For the people that didnt see it, you probaly didnt notice the coach jump up because he did it after EVERY FREAKING POINT. I have never seen a coach act like this. And when I saw him get in the Grove's player's face, I got up and was ready to put him in his place but luckily my wife talked me out of it. For a coach to yell at an opposing player for no reason and after just getting done beating them pretty easily is disrepectful and uncalled for. I guess him and Pope Cooper must of been to a few coaching clinics together where they approve and encourage this kind of behavior.

Edited by Rocketman, 25 October 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#6 clarett_fan2003

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

"Pope Cooper"

Way to show your bias immediately, that way we can now discredit your opinion.

Also, why is Cooper so bad now that he is at LCC? He wasn't so hated while he was at Grove, so why now?

There's a reason that LCC football and volleyball are so hated right now, when nobody cared about either one five years ago. LCC had a hard time getting into the NWC as it was, showing the disdain that many member schools have for them. Once they finally got in, they immediately dominate the two fall sports that most people follow. Once LCC has a couple down years, everybody else in the conference will relish it and then nobody will care again until they start winning again.

Nobody likes to lose to the newcomer.

#7 whatevergoes

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Member No.: 2886

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

As an adult, we should be positive role models. I can tell you that this young lady, Morgan, is a close friend with most of those girls on the LCC team and that the remarks made to Morgan were not intentional, rather, out of excitement of this coach. I think that perhaps this coach realized what he said, after the adrenaline wore off, and hopefully felt a little regret. Whether we are in the public or not, we should remember that all eyes are upon us, especially as coaches. I commend Morgan and her teammates on their behavior. To the LCC players, you, too, displayed good sportsmanship. As a parent of a CG player.....Remember your values and what Coach Benda has instilled in you!

Edited by whatevergoes, 24 October 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#8 dawgbone

All District

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(OhioDog5 @ Oct 24 2007, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAHHA I think this is so funny and LCC is a joke. I was also at the game, and first off let me say their team is very good and talented. Their coach is a jack I DID see their coach get in the girls face. And I can name you the player that he said this too also. For the people that didnt see it, you probaly didnt notice the coach jump up because he did it after EVERY FREAKING POINT. I have never seen a coach act like this. And when I saw him get in the Grove's player's face, I got up and was ready to put him in his place but luckily my wife talked me out of it. For a coach to yell at an opposing player for no reason and after just getting done beating them pretty easily is disrepectful and uncalled for. I guess him and Pope Cooper must of been to a few coaching clinics together where they approve and encourage this kind of behavior.

I am confused by your post. Either the team is very good and talented or they are a joke. Which is it? If you don't like the coach, fine. If you disagree with his actions or your interpretation of his actions, fine. But take that up with him. The girls on the team had nothing to do with it and neither did the entire school. No one, I'm sure, at LCC would approve of that kind of behavior. But I'd really like to hear both sides of the story.

Edited by Rocketman, 25 October 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#9 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

whatevergoes, That was a very nice post!!
thumbup1.gif pigskinp.gif hifive2.gif

#10 OhioDog5

All District

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(clarett_fan2003 @ Oct 24 2007, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Pope Cooper"

Way to show your bias immediately, that way we can now discredit your opinion.

Also, why is Cooper so bad now that he is at LCC? He wasn't so hated while he was at Grove, so why now?

There's a reason that LCC football and volleyball are so hated right now, when nobody cared about either one five years ago. LCC had a hard time getting into the NWC as it was, showing the disdain that many member schools have for them. Once they finally got in, they immediately dominate the two fall sports that most people follow. Once LCC has a couple down years, everybody else in the conference will relish it and then nobody will care again until they start winning again.

Nobody likes to lose to the newcomer.

No, I dont hate LCC because they are good. I just dont like them because of the way they handle their success and how they act. I wouldnt have a problem with them if maybe it was one isloated incident. But it continually happens. Three instances in the past 1-2 weeks.
1. LCC coach yelling in our girls face(by the way he coached her in the summer, you would think he would respect her more than that) after already beating Grove in 2 games fairly easily.
2. The football team- Do i really need to say more?? All the personal fouls, recruiting(allegedly HAHAHA), and Cooper's action's in the past and now.
3. LCC vs. St Johns soccer game. Two yellow cards, one on the coach and one on a player. Cursing by the LCC players all game, shoving, ect.

Talk to Coach Benda, as I have, and you will learn about how Coach Fraklin's "apology". He told Coach Benda "I guess tell your team im sorry." haha what an apology. Thankfully she replied my team doesn't want to hear your apology. But hey I gotta give LCC's coach credit, talking trash to a high school girl...what a tough guy. And please dont come on here and say his actions were ok or that we are interpreting them wrong. You just dont do that as a coach to a player of an opposing team, NO MATTER WHAT!!
To the LCC team-you girls are VERY talented. I hope you all dont act like your coach, and I wish you the best of luck in your tournament run!!

#11 bulldogbert28

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 426

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Clarett Fan: I do not hold your girls accountable for the stupid actions of your coach, but I do feel that as a coach you not only represent yourself but your team and school as a whole. You have a great team and will probably go to at least the regionals and maybe all the way to state, but because of your coach I can't root for you. I also don't see you having a couple of down years as you have quite a large pool to choose from.
Dawgbone: I have no problem with LCC coming into the NWC as long as they stay on equal playing grounds and not excepting those incoming students for their "advanced education". When, not if, you are kicked out of the league, have fun trying to schedule games that aren't an hour or more away.

#12 clarett_fan2003

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

^^^^

Nice shot at LCC with the "large pool" comment. However, if that was the case, LCC would be a volleyball power year in and year out. But, they have only had success recently.

Also, every single LCC volleyball player has come up through the Catholic school systems.

I don't want to hear anyone cry about LCC and their "recruiting." As I've said SEVERAL times on here and in public, I can name you more students to leave LCC for public schools and have athletic success than vice versa. Lima Senior's 1996 State Championship wouldn't have been possible without the contributions of two players that played at LCC the year prior to that. Furthermore, and more ironic, there was no crying from Grove players when Bowers transfered to play for them. But when LCC receives a transfer, it's the end of the world.

One of the starters on Lincolnview's state championship team was a starter at LCC before that (Kyle Rabe). I guess Lincolnview's title is tainted, seeing as how they don't play on an equal playing field.

Go and look at the front page of JJHuddle, and you'll notice an article about a kid named Jamhiir Williams who currently plays for Trotwood Madison. He's about to get a football offer from Michigan State. Guess where he went to school his freshman year? LCC. Another player from his class that transferred out is Ryan Nathan. He even stayed a year longer than Williams, and he's getting DI football looks as well. But you're right, LCC only brings in people and doesn't lose anyone.

Open enrollment has given public schools in this area every advantage that LCC has. That may not be true in larger areas like Cincinnati and Toledo, but it certainly is in Lima.

#13 clarett_fan2003

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

And, if the NWC kicks out LCC, that says MUCH MORE about them than it does LCC.

What information do they have about LCC that leads them to believe that they should be kicked out that they didn't have when they voted to admit them? The only thing that has changed is that the banners are now heading to LCC and not the former member schools, and people are looking for excuses as to why. That is the only logical explanation, because absolutely nothing has changed otherwise. It's pretty clear when there were no complaints about Cooper when he was at Grove, but now that he's at LCC he's the anti-christ.

It all goes back to the public NWC schools already having an issue with LCC. Now that a school that they don't like has come in and dominated them in the sports they used to dominate, they don't like. Instead of working harder to make themselves better, they are now looking for an escape route (potentially booting LCC).

Either way, LCC will continue to support their athletic teams and their development, whether outsiders like it or not.

#14 LETS GO BIRDS

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 2298

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:26 PM

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO CONGRATULATE COLUMBUS GROVE ON THEIR TREMENDOUS SEASON THEY REPRESENTED THEIR FANS AND SCHOOL WELL. THEY HAVE A LOT TO BE PROUD OF. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO DEFEND COACH FRANKLIN AND TELL EVIREERYONE WHAT A NICE AND CARING PERSON HE IS. IF YOU WOULD GET TO TALK TO HIM OUTSIDE OF VOLLYBALL YOU WOULD SEE THAT PRETTY EASILY. AS A LCC FAN I FIND IT VERY NEAT HOW FIRED UP HE GETS HE MAKES EVERYONE AROUND HIM MORE EXCITED TO. TO BE FAIR THOUGH I COULD LOOK AT IT FROM AN OUTSIDERS VIEW AND BE EASILY OFFENDED. I THINK IT IS ONLY FAIR TO NOTE THAT HE DOES THIS NOT TO EMBARASS THE OTHER TEAM BUT BECAUSE HE IS EXCITED HIMSELF AND HE IS TRYING TO GET HIS TEAM EXCITED. AS FAR AS THE GETTING UP IN THE FACE OF THE GIRL I DIDNT SEE THAT HAPPEN I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH U CAN BELIEVE THAT SINCE IT IS COMING FROM GROVE FAN AND THEY HAVE MADE THEIR DISDAIN FOR LCC WELL KNOWN. BUT IF IT DID I CERTINLEY THINKS HE OWES HER AND HER TEAM AN APOLOGY BUT DOESNT DESERVE TO GET THE IMAGE THAT HE IS A BAD PERSON OR DIRTY COACH

#15 dawgbone

All District

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

Grove fans should really understand how the actions of a volleyball coach can be misunderstood. Wasn't Coach Benda maligned a couple of years ago when they played Crestview for the league title and something happened with an illegal server or something? I remember people calling Coach Benda all kinds of names when all she was doing was fighting for her team. But Crestview fans saw it a bit differently. I wasn't at that game, but I do recall a lot of chatter about that incident. My point is, that coaches' intentions can sometimes be misconstrued when they're not really doing anything wrong. I don't know what Coach Franklin said. But, I'm pretty sure that if he had "gotten in an opposing player's face" more people would have seen it and the officials should have (and I'm certain John Dornick would have since he's a stickler for the rules) acted upon it.

#16 Dave_Franklin

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Member No.: 2889

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

As you can tell by my screenname this is Dave Franklin and here is my side of the story whether that matters or not but its my reputation and name that is being discussed here and I feel I at least have the right to give my side of the story

I'm an emotional person, player(former), and coach. I put my full heart, energy, and love into everything I do. My players give me their hearts, their dedication, their blood(sometimes), and their sweat everyday because they believe in following my coaching. I owe it to them to give that all right back to them. When I get excited and show my emotion to my team, its when we've made an exciting play, never when the other team makes a mistake. Am I different for that, yes, in a bad way or a good way...well that's in the eye of the beholder.

At the end of game 2 my team made a great play to end the game, I jumped up off the bench and gave a fist pump. I then turned towards the scores table to walk and get my line-up sheet. As I turned to approach the scores table I gave another fist pump and yelled "That's it, Let's Play Ball Tonight!!!!" I said this very excitingly. As I was saying this on my approach to the scores table teams were switching sides and I was walking pass Columbus Grove players. I cannot tell you which ones because I was not paying attention to who they were. My words were not meant for any one player, coach, or official. However, that does not excuse the poor timing and place for these words and actions and I take full responsibility for them.

As I was filing in my line-up, a few upset parents began to verbally show their dismay, and I was a bit confused what they were upset about at the time. One thing I heard, which gave me a smile was "Hey Franklin maybe you should be the cheerleading advisor at LCC too!!" I found this funny, I didnt take it personally I found it amusing, so I smiled and I believe people took this gesture as though I was smirking or laughing about what they were upset about. I get made fun of, or ridiculed for my coaching style a lot, heck I laugh at myself sometimes, my spontaneous celebrations just come out. But as said above that does not excuse the timing of this celebration of my athletes.

I coached Courtney Diller in club this past season. I dont need to say on here how I feel about her, she already knows but she's the quietest competitor that you'll ever meet, who shows up to work each day...clocks in...clocks out and makes herself and teammates better. I also coached Alli Kohls as well and have nothing but respect for Alli as a person and a setter.

I'm embarrased that my actions have caused such an uproar againt my school, my players, my friends all of which are my family. I would never approach an athlete with the hatred that is being portrayed upon this forum. I love coaching, I love teaching, these are my passions and what Ive chose to devote my lilfe to. If this is the reputation I am to walk around with, so be it...but I will not change my coaching style, as its how I believe I help my athletes perform at their best night in and night out and how i show my care and love for the commitment they make to me.

I do apologize to the Columbus Grove Players, Coaches, School, and Community who have been offended by my actions. I take full responsibility for what I said and for the poor timing and place in which I chose to say them. I will learn from this and make myself a better person and coach for the future. I also apologize and thank the members of my above mentioned family who are standing by me through the embarrasment of my actions.

I ask you who do have a problem with my actions and style, to talk poorly of me not L.C.C. or my athletes. My athletes give the same effort and committment your athletes give. They do not control my actions, I do, they have earned your respect and support in their on court and off court actions with your athletes. Please do not ruin what they've worked for because their coach made a poor choice of words and timing.

Thank you for reading(listening) and have a great day!

#17 whereintheworld

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Member No.: 2891

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Bulldogbert,

I am not sure who you are and I am going to assume that your post came out of frustration with the outcome, but at this point I more disheartened that as an adult, you chose to come on an open forum and blast a person you may or may not know personally and definitely did not know the circumstances of the situation. Don't we try to teach our kids not to jump to conclusions, not to falsely acuse people, to always be the bigger person, and here you are on an open forum blasting a person for a situation that appears to be a misunderstanding.

I am going to believe "Dave Franklin" because thus far he is the only one in the situation that has come forward.
It's sad that it got to the point that he had to come on here and justify his actions as a coach, but he did and it appears as if it was a situation of bad timing.
It seems like he understands that it might have been situation of bad timing and that might help him avoid this situation in the future.

Coach Benda was blasted on various forums for her actions during the Crestview match, a game I was at and yes to most she was close to crossing the line. But as a coach I know that when your players are your family, that sometimes you do things without thinking first and hindsight is always 20/20 because you are only thinking about whats best for your kids.

But again everything looks better in the lens of rose colored glasses as I am not sure you were even a parent in the program at that time.

As you can see this is my first time on this forum and its only because of this situation that someone who wasnt even at the game approached me about it because of my familiarity with both programs and knowing I was at the game. I didnt even know this forum existed and I guess for that the moderator is thankful because it got a few new members, but this will be my last post because I think its very sad that the moderator has allowed a post like this to even happen. It should have been locked/deleted or whatever this site does to stupid posts.

I know most of those associated with the Grove program directly and I want to tell them congrats on their season. They are going to be tough next season as they bring back a lot of talented girls.

Good luck to LCC and trying to bring a state berth to the NWC and Limaland.

#18 whatevergoes

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Member No.: 2886

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

As a CG VB parent, I feel ashamed that we have put such young, innocent girls in the middle of what may be an honest mistake. Are we going to remember this 20 years from now? No. But what we will remember is how nice of a girl she was or what character she has twenty years from now. Sports has a lot of emotions involved and when we think that a sport is going to make or break our child and who they turn out to be, we are wrong. What I do know, is that my VB player feels embarassed that, as adults, this has caused so much discussion and the posting that are on this forum are embarassing to her as a teenager. We are all entitled to our own opinion, I understand, but should we not realize who the readers are? Our children, grandchildren, etc.

#19 dawgbone

All District

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(whatevergoes @ Oct 25 2007, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a CG VB parent, I feel ashamed that we have put such young, innocent girls in the middle of what may be an honest mistake. Are we going to remember this 20 years from now? No. But what we will remember is how nice of a girl she was or what character she has twenty years from now. Sports has a lot of emotions involved and when we think that a sport is going to make or break our child and who they turn out to be, we are wrong. What I do know, is that my VB player feels embarassed that, as adults, this has caused so much discussion and the posting that are on this forum are embarassing to her as a teenager. We are all entitled to our own opinion, I understand, but should we not realize who the readers are? Our children, grandchildren, etc.

Classy and accurate reply, whatevergoes. I hope a couple of others learn from what you have said.

Dave Franklin, it takes guts to admit when mistakes are made. Sorry for the distress you've been experiencing. As you said, this is your professional reputation at stake. Sorry you had to defend yourself in this manner.

Another lesson to learn is that there are 2 sides to every story and that people need to hear both sides before they react in the manner this whole mess has turned into. The most offensive thing on here is the name of the thread. LCC has been made out to be this evil empire which it is not. The kids, faculty, coaches, parents, and administrators that I know from there are all fine people...no better or no worse than anywhere else. They work hard and have firm beliefs in what they do and have nothing to apologize to anyone for. They've taken a lot of shots from people this year...most of them below the belt. Are they perfect? Heck no and no one there will claim they are. But, if the NWC "kicks them out" of the league, like Clarett fan (unfortunate name by the way...lol) said, LCC won't be as affected by it as people think. They existed quite nicely for a lot of years before they entered the NWC and certainly will not cash in their chips if they are asked to leave. In fact, LCC has brought nothing but better competition for the league. Maybe it's LCC who will tell the league to go jump in a lake after the 2 years of hassles they've had from people like some of those who have spouted off on here.

Edited by dawgbone, 25 October 2007 - 11:23 AM.

#20 OhioDog5

All District

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(dawgbone @ Oct 25 2007, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, if the NWC "kicks them out" of the league, like Clarett fan (unfortunate name by the way...lol) said, LCC won't be as affected by it as people think. They existed quite nicely for a lot of years before they entered the NWC and certainly will not cash in their chips if they are asked to leave. In fact, LCC has brought nothing but better competition for the league. Maybe it's LCC who will tell the league to go jump in a lake after the 2 years of hassles they've had from people like some of those who have spouted off on here.

PLEASE DO IT THEN!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users