Competitive balance seems to be working ....

76 replies to this topic

#41 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Member No.: 9633

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 26 March 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Why do you have a problem with a kid transferring?

#42 dufus

All District

• Members
  • 106 posts

Member No.: 9633

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

Have absolutely no problem with a individual student transferring. My problem is with unethical adults recruiting students with the primary purpose of creating a really good athletic team. Mainly to feed their own selfish ego. The really good coaches create a program and develop players. Students in their own community. The losers rely on shortcuts by unethical recruiting practices. Knowing full well that OHSAA has neither the will or ability to do anything about it. Same situation as the NCAA. I pray the the FBI my somewhat clean up that sewer we know as big time college basketball. The really good coaches are praying that happens! The ones that really care about the game. Same as all the great coaches in Ohio that would love to eliminate the small minority of those that are ruining what used to be a great and honorable profession and a great game of high school basketball!

#43 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:00 AM

The OHSAA membership is currently voting on a proposal that would make transfers sit out the second half of the year, including the tournament. Currently, transfers have to sit out the first half of the year. That would be an interesting change. May even stop some kids from transferring for athletics only. I know our local AD is in support of that.

#44 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

View Postdufus, on 26 March 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Have absolutely no problem with a individual student transferring. My problem is with unethical adults recruiting students with the primary purpose of creating a really good athletic team. Mainly to feed their own selfish ego. The really good coaches create a program and develop players. Students in their own community. The losers rely on shortcuts by unethical recruiting practices. Knowing full well that OHSAA has neither the will or ability to do anything about it. Same situation as the NCAA. I pray the the FBI my somewhat clean up that sewer we know as big time college basketball. The really good coaches are praying that happens! The ones that really care about the game. Same as all the great coaches in Ohio that would love to eliminate the small minority of those that are ruining what used to be a great and honorable profession and a great game of high school basketball!

How do you know they are being recruited? The kids can talk and line it up.

#45 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

The three kids from Marion Local dancing on the end of the bench tells you everything you need to know about why kids changing schools just for sports is a bad thing. If those kids are at Deer Park, 10 kids moved in.....and took their spots on the team (with kids they've been playing with since they were 5 years old) and those kids are watching from the bleachers....not from the floor of the Schott in what's likely going to be the biggest athletic event of their lives.

#46 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

View Postcharliesheen, on 27 March 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

The three kids from Marion Local dancing on the end of the bench tells you everything you need to know about why kids changing schools just for sports is a bad thing. If those kids are at Deer Park, 10 kids moved in.....and took their spots on the team (with kids they've been playing with since they were 5 years old) and those kids are watching from the bleachers....not from the floor of the Schott in what's likely going to be the biggest athletic event of their lives.
I don't know that that is the case with Deer Park at all. They were HORRIBLE for a long time.

#47 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 27 March 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

I don't know that that is the case with Deer Park at all. They were HORRIBLE for a long time.

Uh, they obviously have had a team before....and they have 10 transfers.....so yes, some kids other than the 3 remaining from before the transfers showed up had to lose their spots. There are kids that are FROM THAT SCHOOL DISTRICT....who can't play on their hometown team because it's full of transfers. Horrible or not it's still THEIR team. There are some small towns in NW Ohio that have been horrible for a long time....but I'm pretty sure they still have kids that want to play basketball and wouldn't be thrilled to have 10 kids just show up and take their spots their roster spots their junior year

#48 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

View Postcharliesheen, on 27 March 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

Uh, they obviously have had a team before....and they have 10 transfers.....so yes, some kids other than the 3 remaining from before the transfers showed up had to lose their spots. There are kids that are FROM THAT SCHOOL DISTRICT....who can't play on their hometown team because it's full of transfers. Horrible or not it's still THEIR team. There are some small towns in NW Ohio that have been horrible for a long time....but I'm pretty sure they still have kids that want to play basketball and wouldn't be thrilled to have 10 kids just show up and take their spots their roster spots their junior year

I thought it was 7, but still, I get your point to a degree. I'm just saying that this is a radical outlier and doesn't happen often.
So, how would you feel about those original Deer Park kids transferring out? If you are of the opinion they've been screwed over, are you of the opinion that if they transfer they have to sit out the 2nd half of the season plus tournament?

#49 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

The transferring thing seems to be more of a big city problem, you don't tend to see this happen in the smaller schools. And generally, when a kid transfers or open enrolls at the smaller school level, it's due to the kid either not getting along with the coach from the old school, or they are an attitude problem. The other thing you see is that kids from bigger schools transfer to small schools so they can play on their sports teams. They have no shot at playing on the bigger schools high school team, so they go to a smaller county school.

#50 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 09 April 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

The transferring thing seems to be more of a big city problem, you don't tend to see this happen in the smaller schools. And generally, when a kid transfers or open enrolls at the smaller school level, it's due to the kid either not getting along with the coach from the old school, or they are an attitude problem. The other thing you see is that kids from bigger schools transfer to small schools so they can play on their sports teams. They have no shot at playing on the bigger schools high school team, so they go to a smaller county school.

I sense some animosity from you ......

#51 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 27 March 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

The OHSAA membership is currently voting on a proposal that would make transfers sit out the second half of the year, including the tournament. Currently, transfers have to sit out the first half of the year. That would be an interesting change. May even stop some kids from transferring for athletics only. I know our local AD is in support of that.

This was passed by the OHSAA and announced yesterday.

#52 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 18 May 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

This was passed by the OHSAA and announced yesterday.

This a stupid rule. If a kid transfers for moving or a job transfer, or personal issues, they should be allowed to transfer. Like someone said, it is mostly in the bigger cities, and bigger schools. They should just be suspended for the first half of the season. I thought sports were for the kids. I f you look at the transfers over the last few years, how many of those transfers helped their new school to win the state? Maybe somebody has that info, I do not. Have a great weekend.

#53 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

View Postvon, on 18 May 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

This a stupid rule. If a kid transfers for moving or a job transfer, or personal issues, they should be allowed to transfer. Like someone said, it is mostly in the bigger cities, and bigger schools. They should just be suspended for the first half of the season. I thought sports were for the kids. I f you look at the transfers over the last few years, how many of those transfers helped their new school to win the state? Maybe somebody has that info, I do not. Have a great weekend.

If a kid actually moves into the school district, the rule doesn't apply. It is basically for open enrollment students who don't move. There are a few exceptions. Deer Park this year had up to 7 new open enrollment players. They won State.

#54 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 18 May 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

If a kid actually moves into the school district, the rule doesn't apply. It is basically for open enrollment students who don't move. There are a few exceptions. Deer Park this year had up to 7 new open enrollment players. They won State.

The Deer Park kids moved into the district. As far as I know they weren't open enrollment.

There are ELEVEN exceptions to the new rule. I believe moving into a new district is one of them. Have no fear that every exception will be worked over very hard by folks wanting to transfer and not miss the tournament.

How many transfers have helped teams win state titles? Deer Park, Lutheran East, Seger Bonifant to Berlin Hiland, the team that beat Columbus Grove in the finals had a high profile transfer, didn't Lincolnview lost to a team with transfers?, etc...

#55 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Yes it is for the kids, not just the few who think they are "special" and want to skirt the rules or leave their "home" school because the grass appears greener at another school.

Open enrollment came about to off set the private school recruiting arguments.

How about we do away with open enrollment (otherwise called recruiting) completely.

Want to go to another school? Fine! Move to that district or pay tuition.

#56 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

View PostHH75, on 19 May 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Yes it is for the kids, not just the few who think they are "special" and want to skirt the rules or leave their "home" school because the grass appears greener at another school.

Open enrollment came about to off set the private school recruiting arguments.

How about we do away with open enrollment (otherwise called recruiting) completely.

Want to go to another school? Fine! Move to that district or pay tuition.

Open enrollment was created, I believe by the Ohio legislature, to give students the opportunity to transfer for academic and arts reasons. Sports really had little to do with it. The vast majority of open enrollment students don't participate in sports. Go ahead and tell the legislators you want it rescinded because of high school sports and tell me their response. Most public high schools that offer open enrollment openly advertise for students every year. They want the kids and the money that follows them.

#57 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostBobby, on 19 May 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Open enrollment was created, I believe by the Ohio legislature, to give students the opportunity to transfer for academic and arts reasons. Sports really had little to do with it. The vast majority of open enrollment students don't participate in sports. Go ahead and tell the legislators you want it rescinded because of high school sports and tell me their response. Most public high schools that offer open enrollment openly advertise for students every year. They want the kids and the money that follows them.

Ok I can agree with that. academics and art.

Wink wink.. nudge nudge

Ocean front property?

#58 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostHH75, on 20 May 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ok I can agree with that. academics and art.

Wink wink.. nudge nudge

Ocean front property?
Dude, there are 100's of kids in Paulding, Putnam, VW, Mercer, Allen, Defiance counties that open enroll. I'd be surprised if there's 30 kids in all those schools combined that play basketballl or football.

#59 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yes I'm fully aware that kids transfer for other reasons.

Move or pay tuition.

#60 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

View PostHH75, on 20 May 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Yes I'm fully aware that kids transfer for other reasons.

Move or pay tuition.

So if one of my kids is having an issue in a school system I should uproot the whole family and move into another district?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users