WBL wrestling

65 replies to this topic

#21 Mackreeks

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 7402

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Bass - 3 - head to head matches at the GMVWC. Bath wins 2 - Defiance 1. Ingram (B def. Lantow, Lowe (B wins by forfeit by Meyer, Bowers (D) def. Garrett. Still should be a close match - I think Bath wins - a lot depends on injuries ( to both teams). Some of Bath's wrestlers did not wrestle at the Holiday, and some Defiance wrestler seemed to be out of their line-up as well. It will come down to how these teams match up and whether or not someone gives up a pin / major dec. one of those could determine the outcome.

Edited by Mackreeks, 31 December 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#22 reversehalf

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Member No.: 9552

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

mackreeks I am splitting hairs but on the mat Bath and Defiance split, Ingram dec Lantow 12-6, Bowers by fall over Garret. I don't know why Meyer scratched. (Baumspage for results)

I think both teams are very well balanced and it certainty will be a war. All the issues noted by Mackreeks will play a factor. It will be a good dual. Earlier I had picked Bath, Im not so sure now. Projected line ups?

#23 init4life

All League

• Members
  • 22 posts

Member No.: 9557

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Reversehalf brings up valid points. Both teams are well balanced and coached. New coach @ Bath picking up were Westerbeck left off. Young coach has handled the high expectations thus far. Nagging injuries, skin issues, and depth could decide eventual winner.

Both line-ups appear solid from top to bottom. I'm not sure Bath has enough to get past Defiance either.

#24 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Member No.: 3975

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Interesting how only a couple people are weighing in on this topic... It seems the majority of the listening audience are siding with Defiance, which seems to be a very safe way to go.

If we go by weigh class it seems to be a Bath lean if everyone is healthy, but if a flu bug or severe skin issues ravage the Bath squad they could be susseptible. Stranger things have happened in early January.
106 Bath
113 defiance
120 Bath
126 defiance
132 bath
138 bath
145 defiance
152 bath
160 defiance
170 bath
182 bath
195 defiance
220 defiance
285 defiance

7 weight classes to 7 Bath, but many weight classes can definitely be closer than one might believe. Jumping people around and if kids drop weight could make this a toss up!

Wow as more research is accomplished Defiance looks very hard to beat as their higher weigh classes will probably win by PIn for bonus points???

#25 init4life

All League

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Bass.... both line-ups have been fairly consistent for much of the year. Don't see a lot of wiggle room with weights. Your breakdown of the weights looks fairly accurate. Bath took 3 voids at the holiday and wrestled a back-up. They will need a full line-up to get past a strong Defiance team. Assuming Bath fields a full squad, they still fall short by 3-6 points.

#26 Bench80

All League

• Members
  • 46 posts

Member No.: 7980

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Bass - I always seem to be confused by your posts as to which team you think willl win this dual, which may be an indication as to how close this will be. At first, you say it is leaning toward Bath, with each team projected to win 7 matches by you, then you say that Defiance may have the edge as their upper weights will probably pin for more points. GMVWA results would seem to indicate differently. If the match goes as you project in the lower weights, the Defiance people I talk to will be very nervous, as they see the lower weights as their strength, not their upper weights.

You also state that Defiance is the safe pick; not sure that statement holds water. Bath was team sectional champs and WBL runner-up last year. With all they return plus Wheeler, the safe pick would be Bath; Defiance is the one that needs to prove themselves.

Bass & Init4life - you both seem to have worked this out with names attached to the line-ups. Willing to put the names and calcualtions out there for all to see?

#27 init4life

All League

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Bench 80.....with the snow and sub zero temp's moving in, maybe we can generate some interest. Here some thoughts on the weights...

106 - Both are solid freshman. Not sure how familiar each is with the other from jr high days. I'm going with Bath in a close one.

113 - Stahl is making strides, only wrestled for a couple of years, but no match for the older Assaf. Defiance takes this one.

120 - Ingram ousted Lantow at the holiday 12-6. Lantow closing the gap, but Bath gets this one.

126 - Young upstart Kalb had a great Allen County run, but Zipfel had an even more impressive run at GMVWA. Defiance here.

132 - Barajas has more experience and takes care of the young freshman, Vore. Defiance takes this.

138 - Solid match up between two excellent wrestlers. Just a hunch, but I'm going with Wheeler over Chavez in a close one. Bath here.

145 - Davis has a nagging knee issue, but Stonehill is a solid back up that anyone would want in the line up. Cllelan has been solid as well. This could be a swing match that decides the outcome, slight edge to Bath, unless Meyer decides to move down then it goes to Defiance.

152 - If Meyer stays here the match up with Lowe will be a good one. Meyer got Lowe last year at WBL and they were matched up against each other at the holiday, but Meyer had an injury. Both have wrestled well early on, with Lowe making the podium at the holiday. If Meyer goes to 145, than Bowers makes this an interesting match up as well. To close to call.

160 - Bowers and Garrett faced each other at the holiday, with Bowers recording a 2nd period fall. If Bowers stays here than the nod goes to Defiance. Not sure it makes sense to move Bowers here, but if they do Bath steals this weight.

170 - Going with experience, Rabley took 4th last year at WBL. Yocum has been steady early on, but this one goes to Bath.

182 - Experience again, Rudasill placed 4th last year at WBL, Ray is steady, but young as well. Bath gets this one.

195 - Interesting weight, Mikesell from Bath has been making progess and showing promise. Osborne also showing improvement. Both are relatively unknown. This weight could go either way, but going with Mikesell.

220 - Morris defeated last year's 220 WBL champ earlier this year. Lhamon has struggled thus far. Defiance here.

285 - Solid match up between two of the biggest guys in the league. Siebert finished 2nd and Neal finished 4th last year at the WBL. This should be a good one. Another one to close to call.

Edited by init4life, 04 January 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#28 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Wow going to shut up from now because some of you know your wrestling.

#29 Mackreeks

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 7402

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Davis is / was out with a shoulder injury, not knee - may be back in the line-up for this one. Jaden Knock has been out of the lineup and may be back at one of those upper wts. - not sure if he has been cleared yet. Would be really interesting if one / both are back - but, you know what they say "If if's and but's ......

#30 Bench80

All League

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Saw Davis at Sectional last year - he could be a difference-maker; if able to return, where does he fit in?

#31 reversehalf

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Member No.: 9552

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Jaiden Knoch can only fill a weight class that Bath is already favored. I don't think he can make a difference. However, Davis can be a difference maker if hes 100%. Shoulder injuries are tough to deal with. I would prefer a knee injury myself.

Init4life had a great breakdown of the dual. Heres my take on some of the matches where we differ.
106 I will take the younger Assaf. It will be a back and forth match, but Assaf will find a last second score to win the match
138 Wheeler is a go for broke type of wrestler short of catching Chavez, I don't see him winning. Chavez will win a controlled match.
285 I will take Neal. At the Holiday, I came away more impressed with Neal then Siebert. Neal may even pin Siebert with that headlock of his.

#32 init4life

All League

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

reversehalf.... those are valid points. Knoch and Lemarr are both out with shoulder surgeries. Davis has a knee injury that could keep him out for some time, if not the rest of the season. Wheeler is "all in" when on the mat and can score points in s hurry.

#33 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Interesting how the interest has grown as the match grows closer and the weather confines us...
The situation before us is an interesting one that that will be concluded at Shawnee 6 pm this Thursday for anyone wanting to see some exciting wrestling.

Now as this draws closer things seem to be getting a bit more exciting.
106 Cunningham does win this one probably not with a pin, init4life said it best "close one" maybe too close!
112 Assaf has too much fire power for Stahl even with Stahl becoming quite the force at 112, he will be nice to have in the later duel run.
120 If you saw Ingram after the defiance match (holiday) he was upset at not getting the pin...
126 Zieple May edge out Kalb here but better be careful Kalb is an excellent freshman... Another great addition for the later state duel run.
132 Vore will have his hands more than full... Defiance here!
138 Wheeler should definitely win, however he better wrestle to his fullest potential or watch out!
145 Clellan vs Stonehill - this one will be left as a Pick'em Stonehill better be ready for a battle... If Meyer runs from Lowe this weight class gets tighter.
152 Rumors are flying about Lowe's availability... Match time decision. This could be huge!
160 Garrett and Bowers... Zach Garrett lost to bowers at the holiday but in my humble opinion Garrett wrestled his worst match of the season... Maybe Bowers is actually that good ... Bowers in this one!
170 Rabely vs Yocum it seems like the Lima area rankings actually hate Bath's 170 and 182 but Rabely does win this one! Rabely has been very consistent dispatching his opponents nicely this season.
182 Rudasill vs Ray again can I reiterate what I said above (rankings) Rudasill wins this one and just like Rabely has been consistent this season... He dispatched Newman from Wapak in the closest of fashions at Elida.
195 Osborne vs Mikesell/ Gross ... Either way a Bath lean!
220 Morris has Lhamons number ... Hoping Lhamon to step it up but the lean definitely goes to Morris.
285 Siebert vs Neal ... Will be another match for the ages it will also be a,Pick'em take note that Neal made the podium at the holiday!!!

Whew.... Not sure how that makes the duel look, but the win will be earned regardless which school. I guess we will see which School wants it worse!!!

The excitement is brewing!!!!!

Edited by Bass_rat38, 07 January 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#34 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Member No.: 9563

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Bass_rat:

Nice work going through the line-ups and projecting winners - you are obviously an avid Bath supporter. Many of your projections are solid, but a few of them actually caused me to register and move from active reader to contributor.

I am more familiar with the Bath kids than the Defiance kids, but I have seen Defiance a couple of times in the past two years, most recently against Celina and St. Marys. I think you are correct on most of your assessments, but the 145-160 assessments must have been written with your Bath goggles firmly in place! Having seen Meyer wrestle several times, he is not running from anyone. Meyer and Bowers have been moving between 145/152 and 152/160 this year; wherever they end up is probably where the Defiance coaches think they have best chance to win dual. These two appear to be the backbone of the Defiance squad; if Lowe and Meyer meet, it will not be the easy victory for Lowe that you predict.

The other bold predicition you made is an easy victory for Wheeler. Chavez at 138 is very competitive. These two have completely different styles, which should make for interesting wrestling; whichever wrestler dictates the style will have the upper hand.

Your assessment that the excitement is brewing, and that whichever school wins will have earned it is spot on! Both teams want this bad, so the action should be intense.

Does seem that each squad is dealing with some injury situations; perhaps the greatest factor for victory will be which team is healthiest?

What impact will lack of school have on these teams and wrestlers holding weight?

#35 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Nice win Wapak against St. Marys

#36 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Anyone I know if there is any practice taking place? Defiance? Bath? I know Bath is canceled again tomorrow, what about Defiance? It would be a tough decision by a coach to mandate practice when it's too bad to have school!

Could this duel be pushed back a week or two? Will the teams be ready? Tons of questions... Are there any answers out there?

#37 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Wapak at the Barn practicing

#38 0160

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 7419

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Wapak WAS not practicing at the barn. A few wrestlers did go out and wrestle, but it was not the whole team. Practices were cancelled at Wapak. I agree that a coach can not make practices mandatory when practices were cancelled.

Edited by 0160, 07 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#39 0160

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 7419

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Wish people would get their facts straight before posting online!

#40 Bench80

All League

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Good point 160; a coach practicing when school administration says it it not allowed may be risking their job. Do not need a bunch of internet rumors causing trouble!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users