way down

74 replies to this topic

#61 CKalltheway

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Member No.: 9579

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Im not complaining for myself,I don't fit the category I'm describing. When I a family at a game, complete with little ones,knee high to waist high I'm surprised .I'm sure you've seen the sign,ALL TICKETS 6,$

#62 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

^^^ I don't believe I was ever charged for a child that wasn't in school, at least at a regular season contest.

#63 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostCKalltheway, on 29 January 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Ticket prices hurt families,6 bucks is ok but 24 bucks for an average family starts to hurt, it's high school b ball game,it seems a little much sometimes.
You are correct, it's part of that entertainment dollar. That same family of 4 probably pays $32-$40 to go see a movie,plus concessions. Let's do some quick math. I'll conservatively put a family sports pass at a school at $400, that's for fall/ winter. That $24 would put that family into 16 home sporting events. 5 home football games, 10-12 home volleyball games plus jr. high games, 11 home girls/ boys basketball games and wrestling. My point is it can be done, and I realize for many, they live their lives week to week, and pay through the nose for it. High school sports are easily the most affordable entertainment out there, besides sitting home and watching TV.

#64 titanman01

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 7693

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

At OG its not possible to buy an all sports pass which I would do in a heartbeat, heck we can't even buy a season pass for basketball (not even talking reserved seats, just a pass) which makes no sense to me because whether you end up going to the game or not they already have your money.

#65 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Our crowd size isn't down.....that is unless the visitors can't fill their 200 seats....lmao!!!

#66 BlueBuckIjays

All State

• Members
  • 520 posts

Member No.: 9539

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

yes the economic and social factors that people have brought are the main reasons I think. And like people mentioned with computers and TV there's a lot more quality entertainment people can stay home and watch like the Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc. YEP! :-)

#67 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Even though I blamed Economic conditions earlier, I think it is more of the, "there's more to do elsewhere." Home used to be a very boring place, where you might have gotten to watch a few channels, do your homework, maybe play a little super nintendo, and go to bed. Kids wanted to go to the games to socialize, and parents/adults wanted to go watch sports. Now, you have some type of sporting event on TV every night, kids have high-tech gaming systems with internet/online play, and they socialize through twitter, snap-chat and instagram. Go to a game and watch the few students that are there. They all have their heads buried in their phones.

#68 CKalltheway

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Member No.: 9579

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

My parents took me to games at a young ,impressionable age .l watched these players and wanted to be them. This is how my love for this game began,and the love of this game is at the core of this discussion. The more young people who attend games regularly the brighter the future for high school b ball. Students should pay 4 $ @the door not 6$

#69 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostCKalltheway, on 31 January 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

My parents took me to games at a young ,impressionable age .l watched these players and wanted to be them. This is how my love for this game began,and the love of this game is at the core of this discussion. The more young people who attend games regularly the brighter the future for high school b ball. Students should pay 4 $ @the door not 6$
I was the same way growing up. It's ironic that you posted this as I am taking my 3 year old daughter to her first game tonight. I hope that she developes the love and passion for the game at a young age that I did.

#70 RealDeal

All League

• Members
  • 84 posts

Member No.: 9415

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostIrish Viking 87, on 31 January 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

I was the same way growing up. It's ironic that you posted this as I am taking my 3 year old daughter to her first game tonight. I hope that she developes the love and passion for the game at a young age that I did.

My little ones get pretty bored when I take them - it helps if they know someone playing or coaching. Get ready to buy popcorn/snacks. Not to discourage you, as I take them anyway. Something different and beats having them watch tv.

#71 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Posttitanman01, on 30 January 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

At OG its not possible to buy an all sports pass which I would do in a heartbeat, heck we can't even buy a season pass for basketball (not even talking reserved seats, just a pass) which makes no sense to me because whether you end up going to the game or not they already have your money.
If I ran OG's athletic department, I wouldn't have all sport passes either. Why discount a product that is wanted. They have a relatively small gym for their school size and can continue to pack the house. They have no problem with small crowds. Part of the issue today also is that you don't have the big, long time community involvement like generations past. Our society is much more transient, kids go away to college and don't come back. Generations ago, kids stayed in those communities, raised families and you had generation after generation that went to games, it's what you did.

#72 titanman01

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 7693

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

I understand that but it would help the other programs to build a little more. I don't watch too many other games outside of boys basketball/football if I had an all sports pass I would be more inclined to go to different events and take my kids. They could even sell them by season maybe if that would help some how, just some thoughts.

#73 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

View Posttitanman01, on 31 January 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

I understand that but it would help the other programs to build a little more. I don't watch too many other games outside of boys basketball/football if I had an all sports pass I would be more inclined to go to different events and take my kids. They could even sell them by season maybe if that would help some how, just some thoughts.
No doubt, they would have to build the cost of the ticket to cover the cost of the home football, boys basketball games. Anything other than that would be icing on the cake, make up money in concessions, etc.

#74 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostRealDeal, on 31 January 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

My little ones get pretty bored when I take them - it helps if they know someone playing or coaching. Get ready to buy popcorn/snacks. Not to discourage you, as I take them anyway. Something different and beats having them watch tv.
You were right about the snacks. Popcorn and M & M's for her. She absolutely loved it. Although after watching her try to copy the Arlington cheerleader's pre-game dance routines, I think I may have a cheerleader and not a basketball player. I'm good with that though :) Whatever makes her happy. She did sit and watch the game a lot better that I thought she would, so maybe she'll be a player after all. I'll let her make that choice someday.

#75 alonzo

• Members
  • 14 posts

Member No.: 9603

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

People 5, 10, 20 years ago that were the casual fans used the ball games for a social event. Now they have there gadgets, and can communicate with their devices, without leaving the house. The diehards have remained and will always be there, until they die, literally. Now, there are games on 24/7 on tv, college, nba, even high school. Back in the day, there was only ESPN and ESPN classic. Now they have the Big Ten Network, the NBC sports, and the whole ESPN family of channels. TVs 20 years ago had about 7 channels for the vast majority, now most people get a hundred and some channels, they can watch everything. A lot of people come home on Friday night, plop down in the chair and stay there until Monday morning for work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users