Softball Point of Emphasis

5 replies to this topic

#1 PirateBlue

All District

• Members
  • 336 posts

Member No.: 1869

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

One of this year's main "point of emphasis" for softball umpires is pitching. Major focus on the "crow hop" It is defined basically as when a pitcher replants her pivot foot prior to releasing the ball.

Do you think it is going to be called? Anyone have a problem like this in the past?

Any thoughts? I don't remember it being called a whole lot and can see if it is called this year might stir a few fans up.

#2 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:54 PM

maybe it should be called as if it a balk like in baseball....
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#3 PHS9610

All District

• Members
  • 191 posts

Member No.: 1160

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:10 AM

Im not sure if it is the same thing, but i recall seeing somthing called like that during the womens college world series last year. Where the pitchers foot comes off the mound before she releases the ball. Kinda like jumping towards the plate.So if it is the same thing your talking about, they seemed to call it when they seen it. Now in high school, it could be a different story.

#4 ohioguy102474

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Member No.: 509

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

Crow Hopping, Foot Dragging, & More
Go Bath Wildcats and Wildkittens! Go Ohio State!

#5 PirateBlue

All District

• Members
  • 336 posts

Member No.: 1869

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Could be interesting this year since it is a "point of emphasis". I think the pitchers, the coaches (and the fans) don't undertand it. Probably some umps too. Some will call it and some will not. That always makes a season interesting.

#6 #17_My_Daughter

All League

• Members
  • 29 posts

Member No.: 3530

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(PirateBlue @ Mar 5 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be interesting this year since it is a "point of emphasis". I think the pitchers, the coaches (and the fans) don't undertand it. Probably some umps too. Some will call it and some will not. That always makes a season interesting.

Most umpires say they will not stress the fact of calling it, not in high school. Pitchers can still do this in high school. When it comes to college then it will be inforced. Umpires are wanting an explanation why it shouldn't be called in both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users