2010 Detroit Tigers

64 replies to this topic

#41 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Let's hope they score some runs at some point in this home stand......geesh!

#42 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

perfect game tonight, not even a question, cant believe the umpire called him safe!
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#43 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (FrOnT RoW JOE @ Jun 2 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
perfect game tonight, not even a question, cant believe the umpire called him safe!

Son just called me and told me this....trying to find video of it now....sounds like Joyce blew it big time..

#44 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

I saw this and screamed at the TV.
All the announcers from the broadcast and commentators from Baseball Tonight are saying this wasn't even close. Now people are going to argue (rightly so) this is the perfect reason for instant replay.

Joyce may show up in the obituaries in the next couple days, especially being in Detroit tongue.gif
He surely won't be back in that town again.

#45 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

It definitely wasn't close. Still, what a game pitched by Armando. This is what we've been waiting on since his great rookie season and great start to 09. And he's handling it with nothing but class.

Rumor is there's a very slight chance Selig could overturn the ruling. Part of me thinks that would be great(he deserves the perfect game he pitched and everyone saw), part of me says no. If you overturn that, you've got to overturn every bad call in history. Imagine all the games and championships that would have different outcomes then. It's all part of the game. A more likely scenario(that I hope happens) is that they go back and decide that he was bobbling the ball, therefore giving him an error and a no hitter. Not quite perfection, but no-no's are nothing to sneeze at.

But more than likely this will end up being the most unfortunate complete game 1 hit shutout in baseball history. At least the Tigers won. I would have been real mad if that call ended up coming back to cost them the game.

#46 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Good news is they're back in first and starting to get some contributions from the bottom of the lineup.

But it sure is hard to feel good about the win tonight. That injury to Zumaya looked bad.

#47 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I don't think I've ever seen such a bipolar team. Great at home, terrible on the road.

Let's hope they take 2 of 3 from the Twins and go into the break hot. 2nd half schedule sets up pretty well for them.

#48 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (dhsdawg06 @ Jul 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2nd half schedule sets up pretty well for them.

It doesn't matter how the 2nd half schedule shapes up if they play the way they did this weekend, being swept by the Tribe.

#49 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

I should have remembered. It doesn't matter how the 2nd half schedule sets up, or how many games they're ahead or behind. Once the All-Star break is over, the Tigers can't play anymore. Getting real old but it's pretty predictable.

At this point I just hope they go .500. Which is sad considering they're still 6 over.

#50 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

And now Inge is out 4-6 weeks. Which normally wouldn't bother me because I just don't think he's a good player. But looking at the alternatives, he's pretty much the best they got. Kelly and Raburn don't excite me at all, and there's no natural 3rd baseman at Toledo right now. Jeff Larish has been playing there, but he's not even on the 40 man right now and I'm not real sure I'd want him in the majors in a possible pennant race.

Hopefully someone steps up or this season is about over.

#51 RWB 71

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Member No.: 414

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

And now Ordonez is out with a broken ankle? How'd that happen?

#52 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (RWB 71 @ Jul 26 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now Ordonez is out with a broken ankle? How'd that happen?

Played on a sore ankle for a week(limited to DH only), then while scoring on a double from first his cleat got caught in the dirt while sliding into home. Foot turned the wrong way, and they think there may have been a stress fracture before.

Zumaya, Inge, Ordonez, Guillen. That's 4 too many injuries for a team that was going to struggle to win the division anyway to overcome. Glad to see some of the youngsters get a shot, and this should save 15 million on Ordonez next season. But the playoff hopes this year are pretty much done.

#53 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Is it bad if I'm rooting for Garza to finish off this no hitter?

#54 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

Look for the Tigers to climb back into the race now that they have picked up Jhonny Peralta from the tribe.

#55 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Member No.: 3593

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jul 28 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look for the Tigers to climb back into the race now that they have picked up Jhonny Peralta from the tribe.

laugh.gif

#56 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

What better replacement for a weak hitting, inconsistent fielding 3rd baseman than one who can't do either one?

This move gets us to the World Series! AND we didn't even give up much!

#57 Bandido

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Member No.: 99

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

The truth is the 2010 edition of the Detroit Tigers have quit. Actually they quit about a week after the All-Star game when they hit a tailspin and the injuries piled up. I never saw the front office hit a panic button or get into any big hurry to patch things up. Instead they sat there like the house by the side of the road and watched this season fly by. Stole that from Ernie, but he's the guy that taught me some baseball. happy.gif
Injuries happen and when they happened to the Tigers it seemed to happen every other day. Maybe the guys in the front office didn't have time to react therefore throwing in the towel seemed to be their best answer. I won't be heading north of the border to watch anymore Tiger games this year. Yeah, I'm a little ticked right now, but I'm not quite sure if it's the way they've decided to give up on 2010 or the fact that in my opinion they could have filled a few holes this past off season. From the get go last winter I thought they could have made a few more moves to improve their line up for this year. Last winter they never went after a Pudge, Ordonez or a Miggy. Now I'm not saying they could have found a Miggy because of course they couldn't, but they could have found something better than they had planned to play two key positions in the middle of the infield. That was a freakin joke.

#58 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Have to agree with you, Bandido. With four or five rookies in the lineup every night, they simply can't compete. The Detroit Mudhens haven't been around since 2003.......they have returned. The Tigers will have trouble staying ahead of the Indians and Royals as well.

#59 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Personally I didn't want them to go try to make a splash at the deadline. They're done this season, and they don't exactly have much of a farm system right now anyway. May as well get the young guys in, see who can play, and then set up for a run at free agents this offseason(with the 60 million+ coming off the books). I just didn't want a half season rental when it was obvious this team wasn't going anywhere anyway. If they can somehow pull out a .500 season I think it's a decent start for next year.

That said, it's disappointing. 2 weeks ago I thought they had the team to beat in the Central. Now I could see them drifting to 4th or lower. Changes need to and better be made.

#60 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

I might just start with the manager as my first change. For some reason, this organization can not win baseball games during the second half of the season with Leyland as the manager.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users