69 replies to this topic

#61 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostDroopy32, on 11 October 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

I would have to believe that Schoenline is getting some looks!
I would have to think a D2 or even a small D1 would be looking at him.

#62 The Owl

All District

• Members
  • 207 posts

Member No.: 9031

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 11 October 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I will just say the words of people who haven't seen either team all year but went. They said Wapak was a far dominant team and so much faster. They said they were surprised the game wasn't worse and without those mistakes it would have been a bad score. O-G fans will disagree but I saw the same things

Wapak and Kenton are the two best teams in the WBL. However, acting as if Wapak was "dominant" and should have destroyed OG is arrogant, classless and gives OG - especially their defense - no credit.

Does Wapak usually make many turnovers or "those mistakes", and if not, why do you think they did?

Curious that all seem to agree that Wapak's defense is better, yet OG forced more turnovers than Wapak's did. If that OG defensive end jumping up, snatching the ball out of the air and running about 30 yards down the field isn't forcing a turnover then I don't know what is...

The key matchup in this game - just like last week - was the Wapak D line vs. the OG oline. That was really the only dominant matchup I saw, which obviously has a huge impact on a football game.

Despite Wapak being able to drop 7 or even 8 guys in coverage and still get an effective pass rush, the OG QB avoided throwing any INTs and OG had no fumbles despite numerous high snaps.

In fact, I'd say OG adjusted to Wapak's running game pretty well and forced them to throw the ball more than usual, am I correct?

Take away Wapak's long passing TD which was a blown coverage or simply a Wapak kid making a great play, along with OG's KO return for a TD and you have a 14-7 football game where OG had a chance late to tie it up or go for the win.

Anyone think Schriner goes for 2 and the win if they punch in that last score?

Edited by The Owl, 12 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#63 dartmaster63

All District

• Members
  • 246 posts

Member No.: 6522

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostThe Owl, on 12 October 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Wapak and Kenton are the two best teams in the WBL. However, acting as if Wapak was "dominant" and should have destroyed OG is arrogant, classless and gives OG - especially their defense - no credit.

Does Wapak usually make many turnovers or "those mistakes", and if not, why do you think they did?

Curious that all seem to agree that Wapak's defense is better, yet OG forced more turnovers than Wapak's did. If that OG defensive end jumping up, snatching the ball out of the air and running about 30 yards down the field isn't forcing a turnover then I don't know what is...

The key matchup in this game - just like last week - was the Wapak D line vs. the OG oline. That was really the only dominant matchup I saw, which obviously has a huge impact on a football game.

Despite Wapak being able to drop 7 or even 8 guys in coverage and still get an effective pass rush, the OG QB avoided throwing any INTs and OG had no fumbles despite numerous high snaps.

In fact, I'd say OG adjusted to Wapak's running game pretty well and forced them to throw the ball more than usual, am I correct?

Take away Wapak's long passing TD which was a blown coverage or simply a Wapak kid making a great play, along with OG's KO return for a TD and you have a 14-7 football game where OG had a chance late to tie it up or go for the win.

Interesting views on some things.
Not sure what the exact definition of dominant means when it comes to a football game
Final score? Time of posession? Yardage? Time to pass? Just a feeling? All or some ways to judge the play between two teams on the gridiron.
For fear of being called classlesss and arrogant, I won't go there
But nearly double the first downs, more passing yards, nearly triple the rushing yardage and nearly double the time of posession
is a strong convincing performance.
You want to take away the long pass from Wapak and call it a blown coverage but don't want to do the same with OG.
The two long pass plays that OG completed were obvious blown coverages that accounted for nearly half of the passing yardage for the entire game.Its all part of the game.

The interception and return was a fantastic athletic play for the Titans, but to say that OG forced the other turnover is just
not the case. The fumble was an obvious bad snap that hit the QB in the ankle and bounced right to the defender.
Wapak had some of the same mistakes earlier in the year but have not made them recently. Just cant give the opponent credit for bad snaps. One with 2 players still in motion (turnover on downs), one at the QB's ankle (fumble lost), and one over the punters head (turnover on downs).

This game was close on the scoreboard and that all that matters.
OG had 2 near touchdowns in the 4th quarter, a catch just out of bounds and a fight to the ground pass that if the receiver holds on to it is another score. A tribute to the OG players and staff to keep them in the game all the way to the end.

Anyway, a great game that was hard hitting affair between 2 quality programs

#64 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostThe Owl, on 12 October 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

To answer your last sentence, my gut feeling is that he would kick it to tie. I based that answer on the fact that the running game against very good teams has not been impressive. Sure they could pass for the win, but given the circumstances involve I just think he would have taken his chances going into overtime and hoped his defense made stops if that what would have been needed.

#65 youthcoach

All District

• Members
  • 393 posts

Member No.: 3967

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

My issue isn't the game so much as the future. Assuming OG wins out, they are going to be hard pressed to make post season. Really sucks because they are too good of a team not to be. I really think they would do well against other D5 teams.
Go Titans!

#66 Droopy32

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Member No.: 9348

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

View Postyouthcoach, on 12 October 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

My issue isn't the game so much as the future. Assuming OG wins out, they are going to be hard pressed to make post season. Really sucks because they are too good of a team not to be. I really think they would do well against other D5 teams.
Even though tempers tend to flare sometimes I also hope to get as many WBL teams into the playoffs! Yes OG would do well but there region is tough! Good luck Titans the rest of the year!

#67 dartmaster63

All District

• Members
  • 246 posts

Member No.: 6522

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postyouthcoach, on 12 October 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Still a 28% chance of making the playoffs in their region

#68 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Way too many 7-3/8-2 WBL teams have been sitting at home in week 11 thru the years.

#69 justin44

All State

• Members
  • 634 posts

Member No.: 3352

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

View Postbob22, on 13 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Way too many 7-3/8-2 WBL teams have been sitting at home in week 11 thru the years.
In order for that to happen, a couple things need to change. Overall the WBL league-wide just has to get more W's in week 1, and in particular more wins against quality teams that will build up those second-level points. Of course, it takes two to tango, & some schools have to be willing to play matchups like Kenton/Coldwater, or able to find somebody willing to play them. It would also help our prestige as a league if somebody else besides Kenton would get to Massillon/Canton, or in this year's case the Shoe. Wapak has a tough road in that regard with the Rams being in their region, but that would really help the overall perception of the league in football if Wapak could beat Trotwood-Madison here in a few weeks, so Go Skins!

#70 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Member No.: 9000

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

View Postjustin44, on 14 October 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

In order for that to happen, a couple things need to change. Overall the WBL league-wide just has to get more W's in week 1, and in particular more wins against quality teams that will build up those second-level points. Of course, it takes two to tango, & some schools have to be willing to play matchups like Kenton/Coldwater, or able to find somebody willing to play them. It would also help our prestige as a league if somebody else besides Kenton would get to Massillon/Canton, or in this year's case the Shoe. Wapak has a tough road in that regard with the Rams being in their region, but that would really help the overall perception of the league in football if Wapak could beat Trotwood-Madison here in a few weeks, so Go Skins!
I feel this would be a better year for Wapak to beat T-M. The talent gap that year was far more different in my opinion than this year, and that game wasn't a big time blowout. It was what 28-6, which is still a lot but not horrible. Also, didn't T-M coach move to Springfield? Maybe their team will decline a little bit in the years coming with him moving on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users