Vikings escape with narrow win over Black Knights

4 replies to this topic

#1 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Tontogany: It was a back and forth game between Evergreen Vikings of the NWOAL and Otsego Black Knights of the SLL, with the Vikings pulling out the hard fought win.

Evergreen had their hands full with the scrappy Knights all evening. Seniors Matt Weisenborn, Tony Gerwin, and AJ Rodgers made it difficult for the Vikings to get the ball up the court.

Both squads suffered from poor shooting to start the game. Evergreen was up 13-11 late in the first quarter when Weisenborn hit an almost half court three at the buzzer to give Otsego the one point lead and a lot of momentum. That shot seemed to wake the Knights up.

Midway thru the second quarter, Otsego went on a 12-4 run to take a 28-22 lead. Evergreen was able to trim that by 2 points heading into halftime down 28-24.

Senior Chad Mossing (EG) was held to just 3 points in the first half. He is averaging 23.9 ppg on the season. He struggled mightily with his shot and looked very fustrated heading into the lockerroom. Ryan Salsbury led Evergreen with 9.

Weisenborn paced Otsego with 7 points in the first half.

The 3rd quarter saw Evergreen make its move going on a 14-9 run to grab its first lead since early 2nd quarter at 38-37. The lead exchanged hands a couple more times in that period with Otsego grabbing back a 44-42 lead going into the 4th.

The Vikings were able to take a 52-50 lead with :42 ticks left to play. Mossing had a chance to extend that lead but missed the front end of his 1&1 with just :30 to go. Otsego took the ball down court but was unable to connect. Junior Lucas Pennington hit both of his 1&1 with :12 seconds left giving Evergreen th 54-50 victory.

Evergreen was led by Salsbury with 16. Pennington and Mossing finished with 14 each.

Weisenborn led Otsego with 14 while Freshman AC Limes chipped in 12 and Gerwin added 11.

The Vikings improve to 9-1 on the year and Otsego drops to 6-4. Otsego travels to SLL foe Eastwood Friday Jan. 22 while Evergreen hosts Pettisville in a non league matchup Saturday 23rd.

419-307-8415
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#2 gorockets2

• Members
  • 17 posts

Member No.: 5287

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Ober,

Nice article. Liked reading your positive comments with regards to the NWOAL over on the huddle. But since they started charging for just reading people's posts, I've decided to boycott the huddle. Why not start posting here and getting more NWOAL info out.

#3 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Member No.: 706

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the article. I was a little surprised Evergreen didn't blow them out. Evergreen has a nice club.

#4 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (rallyinthe9th @ Jan 22 2010, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the article. I was a little surprised Evergreen didn't blow them out. Evergreen has a nice club.

In my opinion, Evergreen goes as Mossing goes. Pennington and Salsbury are nice players, but Mossing carries the team.

Look at how EG struggled against PH. A 47-41 win with Mossing scoring 9 I believe. I'm a PH grad, but there is NO way an elite team should have a problem with the Patriots.

Extreme NW Ohio is weak. I'm talking Defiance, Henry, Williams, and Fulton. Definitely not up to par with where they are most every year. Evergreen is taking advantage of that.

#5 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

A few pics are up in the Gallery from this game. My camera is NOT a professional one and shooting in a sports mode makes the quality go down a little. Forgive me cause the shutter isnt fast enough to snap just one pic at a time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users