Jump to content



WBL Week 3


23 replies to this topic

#1 Teddy Malone

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 3,039 posts

    Joined: 23-April 08
    Member No.: 3567

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

(0-2) Wapak at Shawnee (2-0)
(0-2) Defiance at Kenton (0-2)
(2-0) Van Wert at St. Marys (1-1)
(2-0) Elida at Celina (1-1)
(1-1) Bath at O-G (0-2)

OK I'm finally caught up. Last week was actually worse than the first week. 4 losing records in week 1, 7 last out - out of 12 people total. 12 people also made picks in week, but one person didn't pick last week while someone new entered. So far only Stafford and waterloowonder have not had a losing record in either week, but no one has had winning records both weeks. There was one 3-7 record in week 1 and one 1-4 record last week, while von's 4-1, along with 4 3-2 records were the only winning records - there was no one over .500 in week 1.
As for picks, Elida (win) & Wapak (loss) were unanimous, Shawnee/Defiance was an even split, while Kenton (loss) was an 11-1 favorite and St. Marys (win) a 10-2 favorite. So the consensus was an even 2-2-1.
8 people were tied for 1st place last week - at 5-5 - while Stafford and waterloowonder share 1st place this week at 8-7.

1.

8-7 Stafford

8-7 waterloowonder


3.

7-8 BHS_Wildcats

7-8 baseballer4life

7-8 furebolfan

7-8 Maltese Falcon

7-8 Stallionaires

7-8 Teddy Malone

7-8 The Guilty Bystander


10.

6-9 Hound Dog


11.

5-10 haydenfox50


Others:

4-1 von

4-6 ADog




#2 baseballer4life

    Newbie

  • Members
  • 14 posts

    Joined: 10-April 17
    Member No.: 9913

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

Wapak (Shawnee will finally be exposed)
Kenton (Most lopsided game of the week)
St. Mary's (St. Mary's is still top team in WBL in my opinion)
Elida (Best game of the week, Elida wins in a close game)
OG (OG slowly starts to turn thing around)

#3 haydenfox50

    All District

  • Members
  • 264 posts

    Joined: 21-August 09
    Member No.: 4971

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Wapak
Kenton
St. Marys
Elida
O-G

#4 von

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,317 posts

    Joined: 14-December 06
    Member No.: 1604

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Posthaydenfox50, on 05 September 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Wapak
Kenton
St. Marys
Elida
O-G

Shawnee
Kenton
St. Marys
Elida
Bath

#5 Maltese Falcon

    Hall of Fame

  • [M] Moderator
  • 4,670 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 28
  • Location:Ottawa, OH

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Wapak
Kenton
St. Marys
Elida
O-G

#6 Stallionaires

    All League

  • Members
  • 95 posts

    Joined: 19-October 10
    Member No.: 6976

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

(0-2) Wapak at Shawnee (2-0)
(0-2) Defiance at Kenton (0-2)
(2-0) Van Wert at St. Marys (1-1)
(2-0) Elida at Celina (1-1)
(1-1) Bath at O-G (0-2)

#7 Hound Dog

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 1,511 posts

    Joined: 10-March 06
    Member No.: 700

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Wapak
Kenton
St. Marys
Elida
O-G

2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#8 Stafford

    All District

  • Members
  • 109 posts

    Joined: 28-September 09
    Member No.: 5117

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

(0-2) Wapak at Shawnee (2-0)

(0-2) Defiance at Kenton (0-2)

(2-0) Van Wert at St. Marys (1-1)

(2-0) Elida at Celina (1-1)

(1-1) Bath at O-G (0-2)

#9 waterloowonder

    All District

  • Members
  • 461 posts

    Joined: 11-January 10
    Member No.: 5547

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

Shawnee - What the heck!!! Why not this year?
Kenton - Not much to say about this.
St. Marys - VW improved, but St. Marys is solid
Elida - Appears to have it this year
OG - Just better

#10 The Guilty Bystander

    All District

  • Members
  • 168 posts

    Joined: 24-November 12
    Member No.: 9367

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

(0-2) Wapak at Shawnee (2-0) - What is going on with Wapak? Hangover from a few good seasons? Shawnee looked really good last week ... but it was Defiance.
(0-2) Defiance at Kenton (0-2) - Is this the worst Defiance time of these recent "lean" years? They showed they can't defend the pass at all last week and now they get Kenton.
(2-0) Van Wert at St. Marys (1-1) - This one is a tough call, VW pulled an upset akin to Stanford over USC back in the Harbaugh years so maybe they are finally turning the corner?
(2-0) Elida at Celina (1-1) - Elida might be the class of the league this year, they have some dynamic players.
(1-1) Bath at O-G (0-2) - I didn't even know Kaufman was injured until I read it this week, how long is he out for? When healthy he's the best player in the WBL.

#11 Maltese Falcon

    Hall of Fame

  • [M] Moderator
  • 4,670 posts

    Joined: 01-January 06
    Member No.: 28
  • Location:Ottawa, OH

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

 The Guilty Bystander, on 07 September 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

(1-1) Bath at O-G (0-2) - I didn't even know Kaufman was injured until I read it this week, how long is he out for? When healthy he's the best player in the WBL.

Jay Kaufman is out for the season (ACL playing basketball in the spring). The 2nd string QB was hurt in the 2nd scrimmage and is also out for the season. All in all, something like 9 guys who were expected to contribute this season are out with serious injuries.

#12 Teddy Malone

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 3,039 posts

    Joined: 23-April 08
    Member No.: 3567

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

Shawnee - 2 impressive wins for the Indians.
Kenton - I am done with Defiance football and honestly, my interest in high school football is way down.
St. Marys - not ready for a total changing of the guard yet.
Elida - I guess Elida is the favorite.
Bath - eh, what the heck.

#13 The Guilty Bystander

    All District

  • Members
  • 168 posts

    Joined: 24-November 12
    Member No.: 9367

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

 Maltese Falcon, on 07 September 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Jay Kaufman is out for the season (ACL playing basketball in the spring). The 2nd string QB was hurt in the 2nd scrimmage and is also out for the season. All in all, something like 9 guys who were expected to contribute this season are out with serious injuries.
That really stinks ... from all accounts he's a really good kid and a phenomenal athlete

#14 The Guilty Bystander

    All District

  • Members
  • 168 posts

    Joined: 24-November 12
    Member No.: 9367

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

 Teddy Malone, on 07 September 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Shawnee - 2 impressive wins for the Indians.
Kenton - I am done with Defiance football and honestly, my interest in high school football is way down.
St. Marys - not ready for a total changing of the guard yet.
Elida - I guess Elida is the favorite.
Bath - eh, what the heck.
It's definitely tougher to stay in the game if your hometown team stinks.

I know Tinora isn't very good and finally Krouse is being exposed for the mediocre coach he is ... no way with the talent at that school Tinora shouldn't be a MAC level team every year. All the kids that used to make Defiance a power are now going to Tinora and to a lesser extent Ayersville.

#15 TiGgEr3

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 2,748 posts

    Joined: 08-October 07
    Member No.: 2841
  • Location:Spencerville, Ohio

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

Shawnee
Kenton
St Marys
Elida
Bath
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#16 waterloowonder

    All District

  • Members
  • 461 posts

    Joined: 11-January 10
    Member No.: 5547

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

 The Guilty Bystander, on 08 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

It's definitely tougher to stay in the game if your hometown team stinks.

I know Tinora isn't very good and finally Krouse is being exposed for the mediocre coach he is ... no way with the talent at that school Tinora shouldn't be a MAC level team every year. All the kids that used to make Defiance a power are now going to Tinora and to a lesser extent Ayersville.

That is not correct. Defiance loses very few in any athletes to Tinora or Ayersville. They lose some students thru open enrollment, but not athletes. Defiance's downturn in football is mainly attributed the drastic change in the demographics of the population of the town. There is hardly any middle class in Defiance anymore. There are very few athletes walking the halls of DHS that are not playing football. The football talent pool just isn't there.

Edited by waterloowonder, 08 September 2017 - 12:09 PM.


#17 The Guilty Bystander

    All District

  • Members
  • 168 posts

    Joined: 24-November 12
    Member No.: 9367

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

 waterloowonder, on 08 September 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

That is not correct. Defiance loses very few in any athletes to Tinora or Ayersville. They lose some students thru open enrollment, but not athletes. Defiance's downturn in football is mainly attributed the drastic change in the demographics of the population of the town. There is hardly any middle class in Defiance anymore. There are very few athletes walking the halls of DHS that are not playing football. The football talent pool just isn't there.
I'll very respectfully disagree.

The families that would normally send their kids to Defiance now live in the outskirts where it's Tinora Schools. As they currently are, Tinora Schools are better than Defiance Schools so parents are relocating there. I have family in the Defiance area and they tell me all new building developments are in Tinora schools. Athletes aren't open-enrolling to play sports at Tinora, they are just going to Tinora and happen to be athletes.

I'll also argue that "there are very few athletes walking the halls of DHS that are not playing football". There have been some BIG stud pitches come out of DHS lately, Smiddy and Kime, neither played football all the way through, both were 6'4"+ and 200lbs+. Who was the all state basketball player that took you to a state title? Singleton? Did he play football? The athletes are there, they are not playing football.

I'll concede the point on demographics and lets call it exactly what it is, a lot of upper middle class white families don't like their kids being around a lot of "brown" people. That's calling a spade a spade and that's exactly what it is. You can trace the downfall of that to the downfall of GM in Defiance. I read a great story by the Crescent the other day about the 1997 DHS State title team and you read the names like Mendoza, Ortiz, Euruste, but I'm going to guess their parents probably worked with the parents of Ward, Williamson, etc. so nobody had any issues.

Defiance has dropped from Division 2 in the early 00's to currently Division 3
Tinora is now a "big" D6 team with 133 boys per the OHSAA (D5 starts at 144 boys) - For Reference Ayersville only has 84 boys, so about 2/3 of what Tinora has

This is the same type of stuff that was happening when I was coaching in the Lima area, so I know what I'm talking about.

I've known Krouse for about two decades and I've always found him to be an extremely overrated coach and always notice that they get completely out-coached every time they reach the playoffs? They make no adjustments and he hasn't evolved.

Edited by The Guilty Bystander, 08 September 2017 - 03:08 PM.


#18 waterloowonder

    All District

  • Members
  • 461 posts

    Joined: 11-January 10
    Member No.: 5547

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

View PostThe Guilty Bystander, on 08 September 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

I'll very respectfully disagree.

The families that would normally send their kids to Defiance now live in the outskirts where it's Tinora Schools. As they currently are, Tinora Schools are better than Defiance Schools so parents are relocating there. I have family in the Defiance area and they tell me all new building developments are in Tinora schools. Athletes aren't open-enrolling to play sports at Tinora, they are just going to Tinora and happen to be athletes.

I'll also argue that "there are very few athletes walking the halls of DHS that are not playing football". There have been some BIG stud pitches come out of DHS lately, Smiddy and Kime, neither played football all the way through, both were 6'4"+ and 200lbs+. Who was the all state basketball player that took you to a state title? Singleton? Did he play football? The athletes are there, they are not playing football.

I'll concede the point on demographics and lets call it exactly what it is, a lot of upper middle class white families don't like their kids being around a lot of "brown" people. That's calling a spade a spade and that's exactly what it is. You can trace the downfall of that to the downfall of GM in Defiance. I read a great story by the Crescent the other day about the 1997 DHS State title team and you read the names like Mendoza, Ortiz, Euruste, but I'm going to guess their parents probably worked with the parents of Ward, Williamson, etc. so nobody had any issues.

Defiance has dropped from Division 2 in the early 00's to currently Division 3
Tinora is now a "big" D6 team with 133 boys per the OHSAA (D5 starts at 144 boys) - For Reference Ayersville only has 84 boys, so about 2/3 of what Tinora has

This is the same type of stuff that was happening when I was coaching in the Lima area, so I know what I'm talking about.

I've known Krouse for about two decades and I've always found him to be an extremely overrated coach and always notice that they get completely out-coached every time they reach the playoffs? They make no adjustments and he hasn't evolved.

Mostly agree with what you are saying. For sure most of the new subdivisions are in Tinora School District, none that I know of in Ayersville. I don't agree with the white - brown thing you mentioned. I don't see that at all. You are right on the 97 team. The 90's thru 2004 were good for Defiance Football. Lots of skilled, speedy athletes, and some size. Just don't have that now. It is amazing how Defiance can be so good in most of the other sports, but not football anymore. One thing I have heard and seen is that most of the good wrestlers and electing not to play football. To me wrestling and football are a good match. This sports specialization thing just baffles me at the high school level. As mentioned in the 97 football team article and another article a few weeks ago in the Crescent News, coaches feel the kids may have changed a little, but the parents are the real issue today. This is a good discussion with a lot of legitimate answers.

#19 dhsdawg06

    Hall of Fame

  • Members
  • 3,819 posts

    Joined: 11-January 08
    Member No.: 3170
  • Location:Defiance

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostThe Guilty Bystander, on 08 September 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

It's definitely tougher to stay in the game if your hometown team stinks.

I know Tinora isn't very good and finally Krouse is being exposed for the mediocre coach he is ... no way with the talent at that school Tinora shouldn't be a MAC level team every year. All the kids that used to make Defiance a power are now going to Tinora and to a lesser extent Ayersville.

Lol.........


There's plenty of talent at Defiance. They're all playing basketball and baseball and very few if any are going out for football. Look at that great basketball team back in 2011-12 that went 19-1 and almost went to state. I don't think a single one of those great athletes played football. Trey Guilliam did....and he was the leader of the team that went 6-4 and snuck into the playoffs in 2013. Singleton, Smiddy, every other key member of the state title team in basketball.....didn't play football. Very few baseball players play.

They wouldn't have been MAJOR players on the state level like basketball and football were, simply because you can't win in football without an offensive line and I can't remember the last time Defiance had an O-line that didn't look like a bunch of overmatched 8th graders, but you can't convince me that guys like Anthony Kidston, Shay Smiddy, and Katwan Singleton playing some WR/CB wouldn't have made a pretty decent impact. What if one of those great pitchers could have played QB?

The problems with Defiance football these days are 1 the demographics of the city and 2 the best athletes choosing not to risk injury for baseball season by coming out for football. There are very few athletes going to Tinora or Ayersville that would have otherwise been going to DHS.

I had and honestly still have high hopes for Kline based on what he did at Edgerton and Bryan, but until they can get the top athletes excited about playing nothing is going to change.

#20 The Guilty Bystander

    All District

  • Members
  • 168 posts

    Joined: 24-November 12
    Member No.: 9367

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

View Postdhsdawg06, on 09 September 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

I had and honestly still have high hopes for Kline based on what he did at Edgerton and Bryan, but until they can get the top athletes excited about playing nothing is going to change.

The one thing we can agree on is that Kevin Kline is a fantastic coach. It's funny, he might be one of the top 2-3 coaches in the WBL knowledge wise, but when you go into a gunfight and your loaded with blanks there's not a lot you can do.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users