Shane Cavinee Resigns Head Coaching at Hardin Northern

99 replies to this topic

#1 snoopy

All League

• Members
  • 87 posts

Member No.: 3765

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hardin Northern Head Football Coach resigned Friday from Hardin Northern. Where will they go now in pursuit of a new coach?

#2 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

That didn't last long. :shrug2:
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#3 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Member No.: 2616

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Probably couldn't handle the pressure of rebuilding a perennial playoff contender from limited resources.
Coldwater Cavaliers--20 State Titles and Counting!!!!

#4 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

has this been posted anywhere else? :whistling:
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#5 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostRocketman, on 08 January 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

has this been posted anywhere else? :whistling:
LMAO!
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(

#6 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

You can put just about any coach out there and they are going to have their hands awfully full. It was nothing short of a miracle the stretch of seasons Hardin Northern had great playoff teams and won state. Similar story with Lincolnview boys basketball winning state.....and they only need 5 players, not 11 like Hardin needs. Hardin was one of the feel good stories in the state. On the plus side, I heard Hardin obtained a new school and I'm guessing their enrollment went up a little bit. According to the OHSAA enrollment figures they are at 66 boys(makes them about the same size as Ottoville), which is more than when they won state if I remember correctly.

Edited by jeffcat-bucki, 09 January 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#7 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Member No.: 2524

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Please make sure you know why he is resigning before saying anything. I can assure you it has nothing to do with wins and losses.

#8 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postreddevils, on 09 January 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Please make sure you know why he is resigning before saying anything. I can assure you it has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Care to enlighten us, then, since we seem to be so in the wrong????

#9 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

It's not my place to tell. That is a family matter that if we wants announced then he can do it.

#10 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

View Postreddevils, on 09 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

It's not my place to tell. That is a family matter that if we wants announced then he can do it.

In other words, you've got no clue.

#11 reddevils

All District

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I know. Just not my place to tell people on a public forum. Why can't you just respect that instead of being an ass?

#12 Pulitzer

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 6455

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

I hope the Cavinees will make it through this OK. I can't imagine being a parent and having to watch your young child go through something like that. Here's to hoping he eventually makes it back into coaching.

#13 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

obviously, plenty know of 'the situation', whatever that may be, so it's going to 'get out'..... why not just say it to prevent all of the speculation/guessing?......

also, it does sound like a hardship per the previous posts, so as usual, no matter the situation, my best wishes to him & the family.

#14 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

View Postreddevils, on 09 January 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

I know. Just not my place to tell people on a public forum. Why can't you just respect that instead of being an ass?

Not trying to be an ass, but you may as well just let the cat out of the bag. Especially if someone needs prayers, which I would be more than happy to offer.

#15 Pulitzer

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 6455

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

This story ran in the Courier in August 2010:

DOLA­--Shane Cavinee may be facing one of the biggest challenges of any coach around the area this season.

Cavinee is replacing Pete Brunow as Hardin Northern head coach. All Brunow did in his 26 seasons at Hardin Northern, one of the smallest football-playing schools in the state, was compile a 221-70 record, take the Polar Bears to the playoffs 12 times, and win a Division VI state championship in 2004.

This is not be the first time Cavinee has faced a challenge, however, not in his coaching career and not in his personal life.

Cavinee was head coach at Upper Scioto Valley when that school, which was struggling to find enough players to have a squad, was making the transition from a junior varsity program in 2004 and 2005 to a varsity team in 2006.

More recently, Cavinee and his family were dealt a more considerable test.

Cavinee's third son, Liam, was born about a year and a half ago. But Cavinee and his wife, Jennifer, quickly knew something was wrong while he was in the hospital.

Liam was born with jaundice and could not keep anything in his body due to vomiting and diarrhea. Doctors originally thought Liam's digestive system hadn't started working yet and he was suffering from colic, a problem that causes babies to cry excessively.

When the ailments continued, it was clear something else was going on.

Eventually, Liam was diagnosed with a digestive disorder, but doctors are not sure of the specific type.

"It's been tough, because it is kind of like the unknown right now," Cavinee said. "We don't know exactly what is going on."

Doctors have specified the digestive illness is either Food Protein-Induced Enterocolis Syndrome (FPIES) or eosinophilic esophagitis (EE).

FPIES is an immune reaction in the gastrointestinal system to one or more specific foods. Vomiting and diarrhea are common symptoms. Because of this, if a child continually ingests food, poor growth may result.

On the other hand, EE is an allergic inflammatory disease in which there are too many eosinophils in the esophagus. Many of the effects from EE are similar to the symptoms of FPIES.

"Our hope is that it is FPIES, because the likelihood of a child growing out of FPIES is really high," Cavinee said. "If it's the EE disorder, he'll have to live with it for life."

Currently there is no method to test for FPIES, but EE can be diagnosed through an endoscopy. In the endoscopy, doctors will use an endoscope to look at the esophagus, stomach and duodenum, take multiple biopsies and have a pathologist review the samples with a microscope.

There is a chance the endoscopy could be a false negative, however, meaning the results might show that he doesn't have the disorder, even if he actually does.

"If they do the scope in November and if that scope comes back negative, it's a good thing and a bad thing, because we don't know if it is true or not," Cavinee said. "So they don't really know."

Liam is also affected by several other ailments related to his digestive disorder.

He suffers from protein intolerance, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and pruritus, which causes him to itch and dig at his skin whenever it flares up. Because of the disorder, he is also generally sick more often than a typical child and has difficulty sleeping.

Since Liam cannot keep any food in his body, he is fed using a medical formula that is amino acid based and already broken down. That way his body doesn't have to do any of the digesting.

The Cavinees take Liam to Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. They primarily travel to Cincinnati anywhere from every few weeks to every couple months to see two doctors and a feeding team that make sure he is growing like any other child.

"So far with the medical food and the formula, he is still in the 50th percentile with his weight and everything, so they are really happy about that," Cavinee said.

So far, most of the feedback from the doctors has been encouraging.

"The doctors are giving us positives," Cavinee said. "They really think that it is the FPIES and they don't know how long it is going to be, but after time they think he will grow out of it and this will be a thing of the past, which that is what we are praying for."

Without tremendous support at home, Cavinee would not have been able to fulfill his goal of being a head football coach.

"That was the first question asked of me when I was hired, as far as the time commitment," Cavinee said. "My wife and I, we discussed it and she is a rock.

"She supports me 100 percent. She told me that she knows that this is what I want to do and she was willing to basically take the load of it. She is home with the kids all day every day and I am at practice, meetings. I'm doing this and that and I know it is tough on her and I just can't thank her enough."

This allows him to focus on his responsibilities as a football coach.

"When I'm at football, I'm at football," Cavinee said. "Sometimes it gets a little tough, but for the most part when I am at football that is my focus."

When he is not at football or school, he makes sure to spend plenty of time with his family, especially his two older sons Mason and Ayden.

"Whenever I get a moment's time at home to spend with the boys and my wife, that is what we do," Cavinee said.

"We spend family time together and that is very important to us, especially to my older two (sons). They get kind of get shuffled around in the mix sometimes. I know it is tough on them, so we just try to spend a lot of time together when we can at the house, playing in the backyard, just spending time with each other."

#16 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

View Postreddevils, on 09 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Then why say anything at all?

#17 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

View Postreddevils, on 09 January 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I wasn't suggesting it was. I'm just saying it's going to be difficult regardless.

#18 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thank you Shane for your time and the effort it takes to run a football program. Whether you had great sucess or not it still takes a ton of time to do it. I think most of us "fans" forget that sometimes. Best of luck to you and your family.

#19 bearclawz

All League

• Members
  • 87 posts

Member No.: 1377

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

HN to hold a town meeting wendsday at 7pm to discuss future of football program. Didnt take long for the mighty bears to come crumbling down.

Edited by bearclawz, 14 January 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#20 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postbearclawz, on 14 January 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

HN to hold a town meeting wendsday at 7pm to discuss future of football program. Didnt take long for the might bears to come crumbling down.

Hate to hear this...hoping it does not mean the worst

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users