24 replies to this topic

#1 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Back to the drawing board for the minions at OHSAA
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#2 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Dan Ross has issued a statement that he belives a referendum to go on the ballot next May to separate tournaments....I would expect the OHSAA to lose all private schools should that happen.
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#3 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Great news.
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#4 fiver

All State

• Members
  • 980 posts

Member No.: 5734

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

View Postpolkhigh33, on 16 May 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Dan Ross has issued a statement that he belives a referendum to go on the ballot next May to separate tournaments....I would expect the OHSAA to lose all private schools should that happen.
Honestly, that's the dumbest thing ever to be done if it goes through, Private Schools in my opinion, don't have an advantage over Public Schools, this year in the OHSAA in football, 4 of the 6 champions were Public schools, and 9 of the 12 schools playing that weekend were public schools.

#5 Bengal WhoDey

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Member No.: 866

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Who says some public schools don't leave?
If these private schools leave, how long until competitve balance passes. There are always going to be some losers, and if the OHSAA keeps raising prices, why not leave? Let the losers have their own little worthless tournament.

#6 Dflyers

All District

• Members
  • 210 posts

Member No.: 4293

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

And where would they go?

#7 Bruno

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 889

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Dan Ross needs to be relieved of his duties.

#8 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostBruno, on 16 May 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

This
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#9 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostBruno, on 16 May 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Why?

He's trying to facilitate the membership, many of whom clamored for something to be done. He's not making this stuff up. And the proposal came from a committee of public and private school personnel.

Wayne County folks are working to get a proposal on the May 2013 ballot for separate tournaments. If tournaments are separated, the privates may as well form their own association. Why stay in an association that treats you like a second class citizen?

#10 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

View Postfiver, on 16 May 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Honestly, that's the dumbest thing ever to be done if it goes through, Private Schools in my opinion, don't have an advantage over Public Schools, this year in the OHSAA in football, 4 of the 6 champions were Public schools, and 9 of the 12 schools playing that weekend were public schools.
So what you are saying is that 2 of the 6 champions were Private schools and 3 of the 12 schools playing were privates...

Is this within the ratio of public to private within the state of Ohio? I'd guess probably not. If privates make up 1/3 of all schools in the state, then it would be par for the course to have 1/3 of the championships by private schools. Private schools are historically better represented at the state level than public schools...and it's getting worse as the years go by.

Just sayin'....

Edited by falconfan84, 16 May 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#11 Spartan87

All State

• Members
  • 768 posts

Member No.: 571

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

You are 100 percent correct. There would be no reason for the private schools to stay in the OHSAA. Will ruin all post season tournaments as we know them.
I am a Spartan, as was my father before me.

Lima Warriors
2007 USFA Champions
2007 MLFN 1AA National Champions
2010 HFL Champions
2010 AFNT AA National Champions
2010 Inductee Lima Warriors Hall of Fame

#12 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

I will be posting an op-ed piece to the site later today........

if you listened to WIMA1150 this morning they talked about separate tournaments......if that happens, bye bye Hawaiian vacations!
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#13 PHDigger

All District

• Members
  • 249 posts

Member No.: 2947

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Some of these people are just bound and determined to ruin hs sports in this state. I also don't think this is Dr Ross's fault. He's just getting pressured by these freaks. Can we just somehow ask for Wayne County to be annexed into Pennsylvania? There's enough Aimish out there that Penn would probably take them.

#14 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostPHDigger, on 17 May 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Some of these people are just bound and determined to ruin hs sports in this state. I also don't think this is Dr Ross's fault. He's just getting pressured by these freaks. Can we just somehow ask for Wayne County to be annexed into Pennsylvania? There's enough Aimish out there that Penn would probably take them.

Can't the Penn amish were beating them in everything so they moved here to Ohio. They went to a few soccer games and saw all the parents making tunnels for the teams after the games and said what a wonderful place to be..... :pickles:

#15 Badlands

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Member No.: 3149

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Seperate tournaments would be a joke, and take away the true meaning of a State Championship.

#16 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postfalconfan84, on 16 May 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

So what you are saying is that 2 of the 6 champions were Private schools and 3 of the 12 schools playing were privates...

Is this within the ratio of public to private within the state of Ohio? I'd guess probably not. If privates make up 1/3 of all schools in the state, then it would be par for the course to have 1/3 of the championships by private schools. Private schools are historically better represented at the state level than public schools...and it's getting worse as the years go by.

Just sayin'....

What is an acceptable percentage of private school state champs? I've read that private schools make up 17% of all Ohio schools. So should we only be permitted to win 17% of state titles? The ten schools in the MAC make up roughly 1.4% of the 720 football playing schools in Ohio yet we win way more than 1.4% of state titles. Is that acceptable? Does the MAC need a competitive balance proposal just for us?

#17 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

The biggest thing in my opinion is the boundary issue. Private schools have no boundary in enrolling students. Public schools May have Open Enrollment, but they have an actual boundary from where a majority of students come from.
Mr B

#18 paynepanthers

All State

• Members
  • 589 posts

Member No.: 3270

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

I really think this all going in the wrong direction. I think the OHSAA should drop back to 4 divisions in football and no more than 2 divisions in all other sports including basketball. I don't feel there should be a separation of publics and privates and I don't really care about any revenue hit the OHSAA would take because there would also be cost savings.

#19 Whiterabbit

All District

• Members
  • 388 posts

Member No.: 6146

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostMr Bearcat, on 17 May 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

The biggest thing in my opinion is the boundary issue. Private schools have no boundary in enrolling students. Public schools May have Open Enrollment, but they have an actual boundary from where a majority of students come from.

I agree, level the playing field with boundary and I think the problem is not completely fixed but you are close to a solution.

#20 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

View Postfalconfan84, on 16 May 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Just sayin'....

Guess you are not a gymnastics fan. I for one am tired of watching Brecksville (public school) dominate the state each year. I think we should demand reform so that all the other young ladies in the state can have an equal chance of winning since for the last 6 years or more they have not. A travesty is being permitted here and must end. Where is Mr. Ross on this issue?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users