Lima Senior Basketball......The Dawning of a New Era..

• You cannot reply to this topic
138 replies to this topic

#21 SpartanDome

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Member No.: 9616

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostHound Dog, on 18 March 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

If Simpson does apply I think that he will get an interview maybe even the job.

But it seems to me that he burnt his bridges a long time ago. So it's probably a long shot.

I could see Tabler. He seems to work well with what he has a Perry. But not sure if he will be able to bring discipline to Senior High.

Davis would be a good fit. He was an assistant back when they were very good and saw what worked and didn't work when Whitney was the coach.
I took this from another thread that I posted it on.
I made some calls and sent some texts to my connections in Lima. THE BIGGEST CONCERN AND NEED for the next coach at Lima Senior is to be able to connect with the players. Just because someone is an Alum DOES NOT mean they will understand and connect with the players. Coach Allen is an example of that. Two Coaches were mentioned and texted to me from numerous people as the MAIN COACHES that LSH should try to get. Now will LSH go after them and will these two even want to come and coach at Lima Senior?
The two coaches mentioned were:
Paul Whitney
Quincey Simpson
I think it would be interesting to see if these two would be willing to come back............wait for it............ WHAT IF THEY BOTH CAME BACK to coach in the program together? Either Whitney as Varsity Coach and Quincey as assistant or Quincey as Varsity Coach and Whitney as assistant??

#22 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Member No.: 9542

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostSpartanDome, on 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

I made some calls and sent some texts to my connections in Lima. THE BIGGEST CONCERN AND NEED for the next coach at Lima Senior is to be able to connect with the players. Just because someone is an Alum DOES NOT mean they will understand and connect with the players. Coach Allen is an example of that. Two Coaches were mentioned and texted to me from numerous people as the MAIN COACHES that LSH should try to get. Now will LSH go after them and will these two even want to come and coach at Lima Senior?
Paul Whitney
Quincey Simpson
I think it would be interesting to see if these two would be willing to come back............wait for it............ WHAT IF THEY BOTH CAME BACK to coach in the program together? Either Whitney as Varsity Coach and Quincey as assistant or Quincey as Varsity Coach and Whitney as assistant??

Thats crazy no way Whitney should be coach!!!
He couldnt handle Greg Simpson when he was there.
How is he going to handle multiple kids with same agenda and attitude???
Quincy Simpson should be next coach at LSH

#23 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Phil Jacksom!!!!

#24 SpartanDome

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

View Postmysteryman2014, on 19 March 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Thats crazy no way Whitney should be coach!!!
He couldnt handle Greg Simpson when he was there.
How is he going to handle multiple kids with same agenda and attitude???
Quincy Simpson should be next coach at LSH

I will be sure to text and call back all my contacts in Lima and let them know your feelings. Funny thing one of those contacts played on the 1992 team........he said that Coach Whit would be good. Oh well I guess you would know better since you have a much better understanding of EVERYONE.

#25 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

CAPS LOCK!!!

#26 West Nile Virus

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 1313

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Coach Whitney oversaw a complete circus when Greg Simpson played. He won because he had a singular talent but his lack of control was legendary. LIma Senior does not need a repeat of that.
At one time, Lima had a paragraph in their staff contract that gave preference in coaching hires to individuals on staff. The job was probably posted this early to give applicants a chance to see where the openings are for teaching positions. Hiring outsiders to coach has not worked well (think of the football coach before Mike Fell).
Stop with the nonsense that Quincy Simpson would be a great coach because he "connects" with the players. Anyone who knows what they are doing, establishes discipline and order ), will connect with any group of kids(look what Fell did with the football program . Simpson did not get the job earlier for a reason and if those issues are still there, he won't be the next coach.
The new coach needs to have coaching skills (something that seemed to be lacking the past 7 years), enthusiasm for the game and good organizational and discipline skills. The next coach may well be a name no one knows and that might be best for all concerned.

#27 XMAS

All District

• Members
  • 176 posts

Member No.: 4073

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Since we are throwing names in the hat

Brett Norris enters his first season as an assistant coach at Capital. He is a 1988 graduate of Crestview High School in Convoy, Ohio and a 1992 graduate of St. Francis (Ind.) College.

Prior to Capital, Norris served as the head varsity coach at both Hilliard Darby High School (2005-2011) and Delphos St. John’s High School (1995-2005), as well as the varsity assistant at Upper Arlington in 2012. Brett lives in Hilliard with his wife Carrie and their children, four future basketball players.

#28 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostSpartanDome, on 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Paul Whitney
Quincey Simpson

Quincy would never be the assistant!

#29 SpartanDome

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

View Postmysteryman2014, on 19 March 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Quincy would never be the assistant!

Never Ever??
I guess you read the entire post this time before replying?

#30 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostSpartanDome, on 19 March 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Never Ever??
I guess you read the entire post this time before replying?

Now this present day.
If he is going to be offered a job it would have to be head coach!!!
He would not be an assistant coach on LSH team

#31 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostWest Nile Virus, on 19 March 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Coach Whitney oversaw a complete circus when Greg Simpson played. He won because he had a singular talent but his lack of control was legendary. LIma Senior does not need a repeat of that.
At one time, Lima had a paragraph in their staff contract that gave preference in coaching hires to individuals on staff. The job was probably posted this early to give applicants a chance to see where the openings are for teaching positions. Hiring outsiders to coach has not worked well (think of the football coach before Mike Fell).
Stop with the nonsense that Quincy Simpson would be a great coach because he "connects" with the players. Anyone who knows what they are doing, establishes discipline and order ), will connect with any group of kids(look what Fell did with the football program . Simpson did not get the job earlier for a reason and if those issues are still there, he won't be the next coach.
The new coach needs to have coaching skills (something that seemed to be lacking the past 7 years), enthusiasm for the game and good organizational and discipline skills. The next coach may well be a name no one knows and that might be best for all concerned.

Its not only that he connects with the players he is a proven winner wherever he coached.
He also cares about the kids upcoming in the lower grades (something Aleen had nothing to do with)
How can you expect kids to go to LSH of the coach doesnt even care???
Quincy not only has a connection with these kids but kids in lower grades future players.
He has discipline, hard work, and does not tolerate BS.
And tell us what kept him from getting job last time???

#32 SpartanDome

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostWest Nile Virus, on 19 March 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

I guess that member of the 1992 team that gave me Coach Whitney's name must like going to the circus then.
The job will be posted internally for a week or two (maybe 10 days) which is the case in all school districts in the State of Ohio, this gives first chance to qualified current staff members. They will go externally then after. It was posted this early because they let Shawn go I believe last Friday and the press release came out yesterday. Every school in the State must notify a teacher if they are not being renewed (it was by April 30 since Ohio S B 316 in 2012 now it is June 1) School administrators know however usually earlier if they may have openings because of teacher evaluations and increases in enrollment etc. Not sure if Lima has any R I F teachers (reduction in force) if they do they must by law offer those teachers jobs in the open areas before any new "coaches" are brought into that subject area.
You, I think, really do not understand the Lima Senior student/athlete. You can establish discipline and order all you want....that does not mean you will connect with these kids. You have to have some type of understanding of the kids, their environment, their struggles on a daily basis. I am not aware of where you live but I hope you understand what I mean.

#33 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

It is posted publicly, from the LSH website:

Position Vacancy Announcement
-----------------------------

Position: HEAD BOYS BASKETBALL COACH & PROGRAM COORDINATOR

District: Lima City SD
County : Allen
Deadline: APRIL 18, 2014
Salary : PER NEGOTIATED AGREEMENT
LIMA CITY SCHOOLS
PO BOX 2000, 755 ST. JOHNS AVENUE, LIMA, OH 45802
COMPLETE APPLICATION AT WWW.LIMACITYSCHOOLS.ORG
OR E-MAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO

Additional Information
----------------------

YOU MAY VIEW THE POSTING AT THE LIMA CITY SCHOOLS WEB-SITE
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL BE ATTACHED WITH THE POSTING

#34 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

I find it a little odd that Mrs. Ackerman is the contact person for this position, not the AD. Most likely the hiring will be done by a committee.

#35 SpartanDome

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 19 March 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

It is posted publicly, from the LSH website:

Position Vacancy Announcement
-----------------------------

Position: HEAD BOYS BASKETBALL COACH & PROGRAM COORDINATOR

District: Lima City SD
County : Allen
Deadline: APRIL 18, 2014
Salary : PER NEGOTIATED AGREEMENT
LIMA CITY SCHOOLS
PO BOX 2000, 755 ST. JOHNS AVENUE, LIMA, OH 45802
COMPLETE APPLICATION AT WWW.LIMACITYSCHOOLS.ORG
OR E-MAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO

Additional Information
----------------------

YOU MAY VIEW THE POSTING AT THE LIMA CITY SCHOOLS WEB-SITE
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL BE ATTACHED WITH THE POSTING
I guess you can do internal and external posting at the same time. On the website they have the deadline for resume April 1 which would be the 10 day internal posting.

#36 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Member No.: 9368

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

If senior high doesnt want to go through this same process in 2 or 3 years, they better go after Q and go hard. Whatever both parties have to do they have to get Quincy.

#37 milt73

All District

• Members
  • 137 posts

Member No.: 7262

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Holy cow the circus is in town :pickles:

Let's hope the powers that be hit a home run of a hire, like they did when LSH hired Fell. Time will tell how successful Fell will be overall, but he did well his first season. It should be noted like most schools, they have to post it and leave it open internally for 10 days before going outside the building. It doesn't mean they can't accept applications, but they have to wait a few days to hire.

The #1 person on the LSH fan base right now is Q. A good coach at the AAU and JV levels, but has never been a Varsity Coach. I think it helps that he runs camps for kids and organizes a lot of AAU basketball stuff, but being a Program Coordinator, like the posting says, is a lot different than just being a coach. 2ndly, if he was the Program Coordinator, he would be limited to who he can coach outside of the high school basketball season (none of his HS kids, or JR high in AAU season). That might hinder him wanting the job (speculation here). He's a good guy, solid citizen, might be a good hire.

Everyone on here is assuming if he's hired his son and a few other kids will follow him to LSH, which is very short-sighted and would be an excellent topic for a recruiting thread. Short-sighted because you only have a couple years with those kids and after they are gone, what is the long-term stability of the program going to be? How many years has Q coached at one place?

How important is having a 'LSH guy' as the HC? Does it really matter?

What's Lima Senior's Plan? What's their goals? Do they want a coach to be in house? A two year commitment or 5 years? Who knows.

I don't really have a horse in the race. Personally I think they need a coach that's in house and willing to be there for the long haul. Kids are kids no matter where you coach. I don't think it even needs to be a Lima guy, just a proven winner. If he's a good coach, he'll get the kids to buy in to what he's selling. One thing for sure, no matter who is hired it's a long road ahead and is going to be a challenging job. But they need to hit a HR.

Edited by milt73, 19 March 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#38 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostNWbballfan, on 19 March 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

If senior high doesnt want to go through this same process in 2 or 3 years, they better go after Q and go hard. Whatever both parties have to do they have to get Quincy.

Ain't happenin

#39 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostSpartanDome, on 19 March 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

I guess you can do internal and external posting at the same time. On the website they have the deadline for resume April 1 which would be the 10 day internal posting.
The AD was on Koza's show yesterday(maybe Monday) and said the job went up internally that day for 10 working days and externally until April 18th. A committee will then go through the applications and start the process of hiring after that.

#40 stifler

All District

• Members
  • 350 posts

Member No.: 4402

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

I am lmao, this guy named Quincy. Can he walk on water because it sure sounds like it. And to think he has won at the AAU level and the jv level. Give me a break.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users