BCS

25 replies to this topic

#1 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

I like it in some ways because it makes every game matter so much...but then you look at like there is a undefeated team why not give them a chance at playing for the title.....I would like if they did something like how basketball does it...
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#2 CrunchTime

All District

• Members
  • 187 posts

Member No.: 396

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

I do not like it for the fact that it still does not eliminate the possibility of a split national title. It works great if there are only 2 undefeated teams, but in years like this one, there will be 5-6 teams with an argument that they should be in the title game. Also, for teams not in a BCS conference, there is basically no chance for them to play for a title. The obvious fix to this is a playoff system, say top 8 teams in the rankings. An argument often heard about the playoff system is that it is too many games. It would be a max of 3 extra games, and also all other divisions of college football have playoffs. Why not Div 1-A?

#3 Man United Fan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Member No.: 1197

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

I like the BCS. It makes every game count that much more. But in response to a split national title. I think in the case that this happens they should play an extra game to decide which of those two teams wins it outright.

#4 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

Dislike......there should be some sort of playoff system!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Beav-the-man22

All League

• Members
  • 29 posts

Member No.: 1182

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

The BCS definitely has some problems. I wouldn't mind seeing a playoff sytem thrown in sometime in the near future.

#6 Gene Gene

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 1405

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

There are some definite problems in the BCS. But no OSU fan should ever entirely dislike it. For if it wasn't for the BCS, OSU would not have been the National Champs in 2002, Miami would have been. They had the votes. But luckily it was settled on the field.

#7 Mr. sport

All League

• Members
  • 52 posts

Member No.: 1393

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

Eh.. just over dislike
ALL things matter

#8 diehardwarrior

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Member No.: 39

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

gene gene i dont watn to stir up trouble but me being unbiased toward eiter team but that pass interference call was wrong, the field didnt settle anything, i wil give OSU that they kept the score closer than expected
QUOTE(dawger @ Jan 31 2006, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getting there at 4:30 surely allows you to have the name of diehardwarrior......

#9 tigerball13

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Member No.: 764

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

What about all those missed holding calls all night by Miami?

#10 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

It could get even worse for many people after today...
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#11 tigerball13

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Member No.: 764

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

http://www.morrowcounty.info/osumiami.htm

I remember during the game while watching late in the fourth quarter when Krenzel rolled outon third down and passed low to Gamble. It was ruled incomplete and replays showed he likely caught it and it would have been a first down.

Replays also showed twice on the same play the DB held Gamble. It was so bad even Dan Fouts (Kellen Winslow Sr's old teammate) commented that they were missed. If they get a first down at that point they can probably run out the clock and they win without OT.

#12 doghallbaby

All District

• Members
  • 398 posts

Member No.: 1527

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Ok...back to the BCS. Good system, but take the top 4 teams it spits out and make a playoff out of it. Also they need to get rid of the only 2 teams from a conference rule because with Michigan and Ohio State getting BCS bowls, Wisconsin gets ignored even at 11-1. Thats not right.

#13 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

is it fair that Boise goes undefeated and may not even be in the top five let alone not get a shot a national championship

#14 Dr. Hibbert

All District

• Members
  • 303 posts

Member No.: 1226

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I'm sorry, I am so old I still like the old bowl system...all about tradition I guess.

#15 nwohiosportsfan

All District

• Members
  • 114 posts

Member No.: 1208

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hibbert tradition is nice but they could get a new sysem with a playoff and start a new tradition with less controversy.

#16 Dr. Pirate

All District

• Members
  • 216 posts

Member No.: 999

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

I think there needs to be a playoff system, but I love the bowl games too, thus, I have concocted a brilliant idea. How many pathetic bowls are there were 6-6 or 7-5 teams get in? Too many!!! Move all of the bowls down a rank as some would see it and have the bowl games be the actual playoff games. I know this mean a team could play in say the Gator Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and Rose Bowl and would screw up the traditional Pac-10 vs Big Ten Rose Bowls matches and others like it, but the top eight team play in the playoff system and we get to keep the bowls we all enjoy as well.

#17 shark

All League

• Members
  • 26 posts

Member No.: 1031

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

I think the top 8 or so teams should play in a playoff and then fill the rest of the teams in some bowls so u can see the playoff and some of ur favorite bowls with out the disruption of traditional match ups like the rose bowl

Edited by shark, 08 January 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#18 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

I agree...dont have to be a big playoff system just a small one like 8-10 teams....I also like the way NCAA basketball does it but dont know if that would work in football because it would be too long....

#19 #1 boise fan

All League

• Members
  • 63 posts

Member No.: 1687

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

I like it... it gives teams to show what their made out of

#20 Celeryfan

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 1559

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

A playoff system is definitely needed. I think that the BCS would be much better with a playoff system. I recently read an article on ESPN.com where the BCS Commissioner talked about a potential change in the BCS. He said that it would be discussed by the 11 conference commissioners and ND's athletic director. The way they talked, a new plan wouldn't be implemented until 2010 at the earliest due to Fox's deal with the BCS for the airing of the games (except the Rose Bowl which has a special contract with ABC).

I think that there should be at least a four team playoff, preferably an eight team playoff. I think eight teams would drag it on a bit longer, but if they wouldn't have such a layoff from the end of the season til the playoffs unlike the layoff from the end of the season til the bowl games. I think the best thing to do would be take the top eight teams in the BCS standings and match them up 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5. This would end the dispute about who deserves to be where in the standings...

Just my opinion, what does everything else think??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users