• Members
  • 87 posts

Member No.: 9309

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

Delete: Rule 2-17
SECTION 17 FREE-BLOCKING ZONE — LEGAL BLOCKING BELOW THE
WAIST, LEGAL CLIPPING, LEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK

Rationale: Eliminate the Free Blocking Zone and make Blocking Below the Waist,
Clipping and Blocking In The Back illegal anywhere on the field. In order to greatly
minimize the risk of injury for the participating student athletes. This attempt to
reduce injuries we hope will also help save the game of football as we know it
today. Participation numbers are down and we feel they will continue to decline
unless this wise and reasonable committee makes a move to protect the student
athlete against injuries to the lower extremities.
Not sure which is dumber... An idiot or one who argues with an idiot!

#2 harry419419

All League

• Members
  • 70 posts

Member No.: 9608

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Shotgun.....how can the officials watch this when coaches are constantly yelling "holding" from the sideline. They have to focus more on those holding calls & let everything else go..........

#3 Whiterabbit

All District

• Members
  • 388 posts

Member No.: 6146

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostShotgun_Blues, on 21 January 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

Rationale: Eliminate the Free Blocking Zone and make Blocking Below the Waist,
Clipping and Blocking In The Back Participation numbers are down and we feel they will continue to decline
unless this wise and reasonable committee makes a move to protect the student
athlete against injuries to the lower extremities.

Hmm, my son and all his friends sat me down a couple years ago for a 'man' to man talk. They wanted to let me know after a lot of long talks and thinking that they decided not to put on the helmet anymore and focus on one sport. I with tears in my eyes asked why and they said, Dad..b/c of the free blocking zone. We all wept together.

#4 woodynbo

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 5330

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

we are getting closer to friday night flag football

#5 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

IMO this isn't such a bad thing. what is the difference between LEGAL BLOCKING BELOW THE
WAIST, LEGAL CLIPPING, LEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK and ILLEGAL BLOCKING BELOW THE
WAIST, ILLEGAL CLIPPING, ILLEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK? That would seem to be at the discretion of the officials and that leads to inconsistency. Now that there has been a change it should make it easier to call and called more consistently from game to game. Wussification (whatever that means) has nothing to do with it.

#6 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 22 January 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

IMO this isn't such a bad thing. what is the difference between LEGAL BLOCKING BELOW THE
WAIST, LEGAL CLIPPING, LEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK and ILLEGAL BLOCKING BELOW THE
WAIST, ILLEGAL CLIPPING, ILLEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK? That would seem to be at the discretion of the officials and that leads to inconsistency. Now that there has been a change it should make it easier to call and called more consistently from game to game. Wussification (whatever that means) has nothing to do with it, IMO.

Some of these rules are already enforced at higher levels, the OHSAA is late to the party more than they are Wussifying ohio high school football.

#7 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostWhiterabbit, on 22 January 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Hmm, my son and all his friends sat me down a couple years ago for a 'man' to man talk. They wanted to let me know after a lot of long talks and thinking that they decided not to put on the helmet anymore and focus on one sport. I with tears in my eyes asked why and they said, Dad..b/c of the free blocking zone. We all wept together.

I am okay if these changes are made. Have to say I have a hard time picturing this discussion from athletes that really wanted to play football. LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#8 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Basically, an official could throw a flag every play for holding, block below the waist, block in the back, illegal use of hands, or whatever else.

They throw a flag when they want to.

No red blooded American boy is going to stop playing football because of this potential rule change.

#9 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostWeek 10 All-American, on 22 January 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Basically, an official could throw a flag every play for holding, block below the waist, block in the back, illegal use of hands, or whatever else.

No red blooded American boy is going to stop playing football because of this potential rule change.

Can't believe I have to agree with Weakly, :shrug2: LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#10 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

This rule doesn't really affect anything. And you're right holding is an every play thing. That's why you have to look at where and when it is happening and if it is actually affecting the play.

#11 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostWeek 10 All-American, on 22 January 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Was gonna say the same thing.

#12 racehorse

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 2873

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

So, this potential rule change would eliminate the Cut-Block?

#13 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Do you have a link to these proposed changes?

#14 Shotgun_Blues

All League

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

http://www.ohsfca.ne...2&clubId=55521

#15 Shotgun_Blues

All League

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Over half the teams in the BVC who use some sort of bubble or jailbreak screen will have to drop that portion of their offense of figure out how to do it without cutting the play side DE...

#16 Bigdogg79

All District

• Members
  • 340 posts

Member No.: 5845

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

It will make it easier to officiate eliminating the free blocking zone which 90% of the coaches don't understand and about 50% of officials don't either. I hope they don't make the rule as complicated as it is at the college level.

#17 NWCSportsFan

• Members
  • 10 posts

Member No.: 9755

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

This could hurt the Spencerville and Delphos Jefferson programs as both have grown into using cutting blocks on several plays as run heavy offenses.

#18 woodynbo

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 5330

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

so in a short yardage situation when both lines are staying low and a line backer shoots and gets his legs cut because the down defensive lineman that the offensive lineman was going to block shoots the opposite gap and the lb shoots that gap.This rule will make all short yardage and goal line plays sumo wrestling blocking and eliminate the participation chances of the 165 lb offensive guard" who has to stay low" to play.

#19 youthcoach

All District

• Members
  • 393 posts

Member No.: 3967

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

This wont change the number of players as that is caused by many other issues, not this issue, but I am not against the rule change. Knee injuries are long lasting (forever usually) and if they can prevent them so be it.
As far as the number of kids playing football or any sports for that matter, its simply called lazy. Kids anymore also don't have the desire to pay their dues. If they cant start "now" then screw it. We live in a results right now society now. Xbox and other social media type things are also to blame.
Go Titans!

#20 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

View Postyouthcoach, on 05 February 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

This wont change the number of players as that is caused by many other issues, not this issue, but I am not against the rule change. Knee injuries are long lasting (forever usually) and if they can prevent them so be it.
As far as the number of kids playing football or any sports for that matter, its simply called lazy. Kids anymore also don't have the desire to pay their dues. If they cant start "now" then screw it. We live in a results right now society now. Xbox and other social media type things are also to blame.

You forget to mention the horrible effects of rock and roll music on our kids' brains. Other than that, you covered the downfall of American society pretty well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users