Up against History & Culture

29 replies to this topic

#1 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 9365

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Back in November, I went against the experts predictions and the "history and culture" of Paulding. I predicted a 20-2 or 19-3 season for the Panthers. The experts said I was foolish, a clown, and that at best Paulding would be a .500 team and finish in the bottom half of the conference. There's still a lot of season to be played out, but as I read some forums, it is obvious that some of those same people are starting to realize, my bold and crazy predictions weren't all that far fetched after all. Yeah, there's still a few stubborn wizards out there that still think Paulding is going to finish .500 (which is already impossible), but the point is not every group of kids should be judged by how well the group before them did. The 2013 Panther group should not have been judged because the majority of the teams before them didn't want to put forth the effort and dedication. Granted their not having a perfect or flawless season, but it's good to see them starting to get a little respect and that all their hardwork is paying off. I can not wait to see how they handle LCC coming to town Friday, I think they have another shocker in store for High School basketball & the Corner, and they'll rise to the occasion! GOOD LUCK PAULDING PANTHERS 13-3 (4-1 NWC)

#2 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postcreatingballers, on 27 January 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Granted their not having a perfect or flawless season, but it's good to see them starting to get a little respect and that all their hardwork is paying off. I can not wait to see how they handle LCC coming to town Friday, I think they have another shocker in store for High School basketball & the Corner, and they'll rise to the occasion! GOOD LUCK PAULDING PANTHERS 13-3 (4-1 NWC)

I think I can speak for some of the "stubborn wizards" here on the RC in saying that we're a little shocked by the Panthers mid-season successes :coffee:
you went out on a limb and fortunately it has not broken off yet.........13 wins is rather impressive, so hats off to Paulding even if they would stumble to the finish....
it they could go .500 the rest of the year that would equate to 16 which would have to be the most by any Payne team in many a year.......

Good luck the rest of the season, and don't forget to keep coming back..........RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#3 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Success is measured in playoff runs.

#4 BOB

All State

• Members
  • 646 posts

Member No.: 501

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

baller has doen the impossible and mobilized the rocketcorner on the side of LCC. Some said it was not possible but he has done it. GO BIRDS

#5 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Rocketman has LCC as a 20 point road favorite. I think Paulding comes out with a spirited effort, but comes up short. I would say LCC by around 10 points.........something like 55-45.

#6 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I am with my close friend BOB on this one.....I know BOB likes private schools and so do I.....go Tbirds.....just one more step in claiming the NWC trophy!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 daaa browns

All District

• Members
  • 415 posts

Member No.: 9318

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I am very shocked by Paulding's success this year...they seemed talented..but they seemed to be too...summer-ballish..too undisciplined and crazy..if some people know what I mean. But they should be undefeated in NWC play and if LCC would've left the conference this year it would've been a conference title for the Panthers...still I think they lose by about 5..but hopefully they can pull it out!
2015 NWC Football Pick-Em Co-Champion

#8 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm interested in knowing who all the folks claiming Paulding was a .500 team are. I don't recall anybody thinking Paulding would be . 500!
I think most people thought the yahoo claiming this was a 2 loss team was way overzealous. Is this history revision? Or did I miss some other crazies going too far the opposite direction?

Edited by Dman, 27 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#9 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 9365

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostDman, on 27 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

I'm interested in knowing who all the folks claiming Paulding was a .500 team are. I don't recall anybody thinking Paulding would be . 500!
I think most people thought the yahoo claiming this was a 2 loss team was way overzealous. Is this history revision? Or did I miss some other crazies going too far the opposite direction?
You must have missed it. Back in November Badlands said Paulding would lay an egg and end .500 or below, and Caldwell agreed with the ridiculous prediction. November 22nd I believe. Although props to the team Badlands supports for Grove did come out ahead of Paulding this year, but I know it was a real thinker for some others when Paulding thumped Crestview. And obviously I am not just some yahoo with overzealous comments, 3 losses is a lot closer to 2 losses than what some people thought when they said 8-11 losses. And yes there's a lot more season left but I think we will continue to win ball games this year here in Paulding, as crazy as that may sound! 13-3 (4-1 NWC)

Edited by creatingballers, 28 January 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#10 JohnMcClane

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 8043

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

View Postcreatingballers, on 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

You must have missed it. Back in November Badlands said Paulding would lay an egg and end .500 or below, and Caldwell agreed with the ridiculous prediction. November 22nd I believe. Although props to the team Badlands supports for Grove did come out ahead of Paulding this year, but I know it was a real thinker for some others when Paulding thumped Crestview. And obviously I am not just some yahoo with overzealous comments, 3 losses is a lot closer to 2 losses than what some people thought when they said 8-11 losses. And yes there's a lot more season left but I think we will continue to win ball games this year here in Paulding, as crazy as that may sound! 13-3 (4-1 NWC)

Paulding will finish 18-6 (6-3 NWC) with a Sectional runner up finish. Nice season but nothing to get to excited about.

#11 Outspoken

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Member No.: 243

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Paulding "thumped" Crestview???? Really? 3 point margin is a "thumping" now? Wow I guess that means Defiance thumped Paulding then, and Grove really thumped paulding because they beat em by 4 in OT!

Edited by Outspoken, 28 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#12 Knite Flyer

All District

• Members
  • 193 posts

Member No.: 179

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostEmerson, on 27 January 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Success is measured in playoff runs.

For the 13,576th time......football has playoffs. All other OHSAA sports have a tournament or a meet.

That said, Port Clinton bucked a whole lot of history and culture a few years back, and beat 2 WBL schools in the Regionals, to end up as D2 State Runners up. Color me surprised by that then.

#13 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Paulding was never a two loss team or a . 500 team. Anyone stating such ought naught be taken too seriously.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#14 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

So 2 whole people claimed they'd go .500 or below?

I'm with Dman, I saw most people calling for anywhere between 13 and 17 wins. Myself included. Pretty much everyone knew this was a solid team, and I don't think they've done anything yet that surprises most people. Beat LCC? I'll be surprised. Get out of districts when you'll have O-G in either sectionals or districts and Archbold in the same district? I'll be surprised. Somehow get to state when LCC and Liberty Benton are in the same region? I'd be downright shocked. Beating Crestview wasn't a surprise. If they would have held on to beat Grove I wouldn't have been surprised.

I guess the ONLY surprise I've seen this year is how bad they beat VW. Not THAT they beat them, but how much they beat them by.

#15 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostKnite Flyer, on 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

For the 13,576th time......football has playoffs. All other OHSAA sports have a tournament or a meet.

That said, Port Clinton bucked a whole lot of history and culture a few years back, and beat 2 WBL schools in the Regionals, to end up as D2 State Runners up. Color me surprised by that then.

Didn't mean to hit a pet peeve.

#16 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I know, I know, good season for Paulding.. yada yada. Hurts to be out that soon no matter what the record is.

#17 bleacherman

All District

• Members
  • 294 posts

Member No.: 4536

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Your right Emerson, "good season for Paulding". I am so sick of Paulding schools and community being satisfied with a "good" season. You settle for mediocrity, that's what you'll get. Strive and expect a perfection, period!!!! Nothing short of that should satisfy anyone wearing Maroon and white!!!! I'm sick of this crap. All you naysayers are absolutely correct, Paulding always says, "this is their year". It's NOT going to be their year until people in the school and the community stop accepting "GOOD"!!!!!!!! I just wanna slap someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 harrydirty

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 9406

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

"Success is measured in playoff runs" - very true words

"good season for Paulding" - also true

I am saddened right now. Paulding had more size, strength, athleticism, and talent on the floor last night and should have won.

It is difficult to understand the loss

#19 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Final record ??
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#20 NoSoup4U

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Member No.: 506

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostRocketman, on 27 February 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Final record ??
Paulding 2012-2013. overall record, 16 wins, 7 losses and conference record 5 wins, 4 losses. Best win, Crestview. Worst loss, Lincolnview. Good year....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users