Ottoville basketball

316 replies to this topic

#1 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Member No.: 9379

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

I sat back long enough. This is disgusting. TT is so lost it's obvious. We have no idea What the heck is going on. Please stop passing and go to the bucket what you did in first 10 games. UNREAL quits on the kids #coachisAbaby

#2 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

no. numbers are low, talent level is average,,,,the center is a freshman. Coach Turnwald knows his stuff. he had a good game plan Tues. against St. John's and made them work. Big Green just doesn't have a lot of firepower this year. 8-10 at this point may have exceeded most expectations.

#3 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 10 February 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

no. numbers are low, talent level is average,,,,the center is a freshman. Coach Turnwald knows his stuff. he had a good game plan Tues. against St. John's and made them work. Big Green just doesn't have a lot of firepower this year. 8-10 at this point may have exceeded most expectations.
Going from 3 wins to 8 winds is a good improvement. Give him one or two more years and see what happens. Trouble is, Ottoville is one of the toughest places to coach, people are very impatient and very critical. They have had a few good coaches over the years TVS from FJ being the best they had for years. Remember, they ran Dick K. out for being too hard on the kids. Why can't they get a former, young player to take it over? They need new blood who will excites the kids and gets more kids out. Just a thought. Good luck Big Green, see if you can get 10 winds this season. Thanks...

#4 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

I made the trip down to the Heckman and it was a bad first half of shooting that turned out to be the difference. Those passes created some good looks that didn't fall. If a couple of those went in then it's a different game. If I remember right the Big Green outscored us 26-20 in the second half so I would say TT didn't quit on the kids. Earlier in the season we had some fans whining about our coach also. I was hoping for a PCL championship but it was not to be. I accept this and I give credit to the teams that we played rather than blaming the coach. Good luck Green. Maybe we'll see you in the tournament.

#5 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

'Studly'......

One big problem with the o'town faithful is the lack of patience......Todd is a Ottoville grad and do you seriously think that he doesn't give a crap about the program.....I wonder why Ottoville has been noted as 'The Graveyard of Coaches'......if I was a fan, I would be encouraging the kids to go out for basketball and by all means be on the side of the coach.....if Todd leaves the Ottoville program then look out because the applicants for his job will be few and far between.....I remember when a person name McMillan came to Ottoville and took the Big Green to the regionals and his reward was to not be rehired......what do you people want.....

I wish Todd Turnwald all the luck in the world.....if the kids toughen up and the parents and fans relax and get behind him, he will succeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

Ok floundie Patience. Laughable. 6 years is long enough. He has quit several times and walked out on them several times. Ask past players. I know everyone who played for McMillan. Yes he was the coach that took them to regionals. So the school is just supposed to automatically hire someone back that went 6-14 and makes it to regionals. Then heck Kalida should've kept Dick til he died. Time for change in the Ottoville Graveyard I guess

#7 Rusty Shackleford

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 9458

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

How specifically did he quit on the kids?

#8 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostRusty Shackleford, on 12 February 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

How specifically did he quit on the kids?

Who could Ottoville get if TT leaves? It is a very tough situation there, actually most of the teams in the PCL are struggling this year. I do not know the answer. You need a young man with enthusiasm and heart. Great kids, Great town and a Great school. God Luck Big Green

#9 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

View Postbasketballstud, on 12 February 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

Ok floundie Patience. Laughable. 6 years is long enough. He has quit several times and walked out on them several times. Ask past players. I know everyone who played for McMillan. Yes he was the coach that took them to regionals. So the school is just supposed to automatically hire someone back that went 6-14 and makes it to regionals. Then heck Kalida should've kept Dick til he died. Time for change in the Ottoville Graveyard I guess

Studly......

I know some of the players that played for McMillan to......and they were soft...very little mental toughness...sound familiar......if Ottoville wants to win, they must develop a better attitude....good community and kids.....but even Tommy V had his problems...as well as Penhorwood and the coach after him....you know.....sometimes it isn't the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

View Postflounder, on 13 February 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Studly......

I know some of the players that played for McMillan to......and they were soft...very little mental toughness...sound familiar......if Ottoville wants to win, they must develop a better attitude....good community and kids.....but even Tommy V had his problems...as well as Penhorwood and the coach after him....you know.....sometimes it isn't the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha Todd was one of them. Listen Ottoville went 7-2 to start the year. Everything going great. Now we are 8-10 and now 1 kid quit. If this was happening in your faithful St. John's it would be a travesty. Fire the coach would bE the headlines in the paper. What problems did Tommy V have? When to call TO. He had best team ever to suit up. Penhorwood only had 1 problem. Subtract Pen and wood from his last name. It's been six years and only had 1 season above .500 and that was only 1 game above. In any level of coaching it's always the coach. I'll refrain from using endless exclamation points

#11 maddog

All State

• Members
  • 755 posts

Member No.: 3291

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

The thing that is hard to understand is as bad as the boys program has been, the girls just keeps reloading and playing well year in and year out. How can the same school have such a different attitude towards the game based on gender?

#12 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Postbasketballstud, on 13 February 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Haha Todd was one of them. Listen Ottoville went 7-2 to start the year. Everything going great. Now we are 8-10 and now 1 kid quit. If this was happening in your faithful St. John's it would be a travesty. Fire the coach would bE the headlines in the paper. What problems did Tommy V have? When to call TO. He had best team ever to suit up. Penhorwood only had 1 problem. Subtract Pen and wood from his last name. It's been six years and only had 1 season above .500 and that was only 1 game above. In any level of coaching it's always the coach. I'll refrain from using endless exclamation points

Where do I start......

I'll start with Tommy......he probably had the most talent on any D4 team that I have seen in awhile....did they ever get out of sectional...actually, I don't think they ever did, but maybe you can refresh me on that...I attended some of those games when he was there....hell studly..you could have coached those teams and done just as well...

So O'town starts out 7-2 and are now 8-10....this is where you Studly really disappoint me....I assumed you had great basketball knowledge...hence your name, but now realize I may have misjudged you....many smaller schools start out great, but since they don't have the numbers or overall talent, a good well coached team will scout them and take away their game and consequently will shut them down.....maybe 8-10 isn't so bad with the talent that you have...everybody wants a winner, but very few realize what it takes to make a winner......patience my friend...remember....Tommy had great records during the season, but took a $hit during tourney....I might have hung myself if I was a Big Green fan...also....one kid quit...who needs a player with the same old Ottoville mentality.....really....you have to agree with me on that....unless you are relation, which I understand.....

And finally Studly......why do you drag my Blue Jays into your discussion.....I know not many Big Green fans appreciate what we have done over the years, but I sure do.....our kids bust their a$$ for whoever is coaching.....we know how to win and play hard with minimal talent and kids.......believe it or not, but our numbers are very comparable to the numbers in Ottoville and your school will probably by pass DSJ in the near future.....we will not fire our coach because our fans realize what is going on....come on Studly...I almost consider your comments about my Jays as an insult.....and I know you would never do that....

Finally....give Todd a chance....Rome was not built in a day....I look forward to your uplifting reply and wish the Big Green all the luck in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love those exclamation points and your knowledgeable posts which I am looking forward to........friends???

#13 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

View Postflounder, on 14 February 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Where do I start......

I'll start with Tommy......he probably had the most talent on any D4 team that I have seen in awhile....did they ever get out of sectional...actually, I don't think they ever did, but maybe you can refresh me on that...I attended some of those games when he was there....hell studly..you could have coached those teams and done just as well...

So O'town starts out 7-2 and are now 8-10....this is where you Studly really disappoint me....I assumed you had great basketball knowledge...hence your name, but now realize I may have misjudged you....many smaller schools start out great, but since they don't have the numbers or overall talent, a good well coached team will scout them and take away their game and consequently will shut them down.....maybe 8-10 isn't so bad with the talent that you have...everybody wants a winner, but very few realize what it takes to make a winner......patience my friend...remember....Tommy had great records during the season, but took a $hit during tourney....I might have hung myself if I was a Big Green fan...also....one kid quit...who needs a player with the same old Ottoville mentality.....really....you have to agree with me on that....unless you are relation, which I understand.....

And finally Studly......why do you drag my Blue Jays into your discussion.....I know not many Big Green fans appreciate what we have done over the years, but I sure do.....our kids bust their a$$ for whoever is coaching.....we know how to win and play hard with minimal talent and kids.......believe it or not, but our numbers are very comparable to the numbers in Ottoville and your school will probably by pass DSJ in the near future.....we will not fire our coach because our fans realize what is going on....come on Studly...I almost consider your comments about my Jays as an insult.....and I know you would never do that....

Finally....give Todd a chance....Rome was not built in a day....I look forward to your uplifting reply and wish the Big Green all the luck in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love those exclamation points and your knowledgeable posts which I am looking forward to........friends???
Man, for someone that thinks the know everything about Basketball really doesn't know much. 2000's in Ottoville were good. Coach Tommy as you call him did in fact get out of sectionals. 6 of his 13 years.

2002 lost to DSJ in district Semis
2004 lost to #1 Arlington in district semis
2005 lost to Continental in Regional semis
2006 lost to CG in District Semis

We were #1 AP and coaches finished 23-1. Starting point guard tore ACL mid season. Starting Center was on Chemo all year. Also starting forward was on an IV day of game.

2007 lost to FJ in District Finals
2010 lost to Ft Recovery in District semis.

Edited by basketballstud, 14 February 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#14 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

View Postbasketballstud, on 14 February 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Man, for someone that thinks the know everything about Basketball really doesn't know much. 2000's in Ottoville were good. Coach Tommy as you call him did in fact get out of sectionals. 6 of his 13 years.

2002 lost to DSJ in district Semis
2004 lost to #1 Arlington in district semis
2005 lost to Continental in Regional semis
2006 lost to CG in District Semis

We were #1 AP and coaches finished 23-1. Starting point guard tore ACL mid season. Starting Center was on Chemo all year. Also starting forward was on an IV day of game.

2007 lost to FJ in District Finals
2010 lost to Ft Recovery in District semis.

Remember.......I asked you...I didn't say I knew...I asked you...and getting beat in district with that talent is like a kick in the b*lls....so Studly.....you must agree with the rest of my post.....thought so....you da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 basketballstud

All District

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

View Postflounder, on 14 February 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Remember.......I asked you...I didn't say I knew...I asked you...and getting beat in district with that talent is like a kick in the b*lls....so Studly.....you must agree with the rest of my post.....thought so....you da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kick in the b@lls just like having Todd as a coach any longer.
Let's just agree to disagree. You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

basketballstud, what a great year in 2005 for both our schools. Great game at BG.

Some good friends of mine said Von Sossan was not renewed by the school board. This is part of the reason why my friends in Big Green country call their school board meetings "an idiot convention." Others said he left because he could see that the talent was dropping. If he left because of the talent level that would explain the season records the past few years.

I know there's some pretty good juniors on the roster and I watched their current 8th graders last year put a hurting on a very good Kalida team in the tournament. Even as freshman next year some of those boys should be able to make some contributions to the varsity program. Try looking forward to what should be some good years coming up in the program and take Maltese Falcon's post as fact.

I know the other boys sports have not had much success recently. Coaching problems there also?

#17 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 14 February 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

basketballstud, what a great year in 2005 for both our schools. Great game at BG.

Some good friends of mine said Von Sossan was not renewed by the school board. This is part of the reason why my friends in Big Green country call their school board meetings "an idiot convention." Others said he left because he could see that the talent was dropping. If he left because of the talent level that would explain the season records the past few years.

I know there's some pretty good juniors on the roster and I watched their current 8th graders last year put a hurting on a very good Kalida team in the tournament. Even as freshman next year some of those boys should be able to make some contributions to the varsity program. Try looking forward to what should be some good years coming up in the program and take Maltese Falcon's post as fact.

I know the other boys sports have not had much success recently. Coaching problems there also?

You all have great comments, thanks for sharing. It is a talent and numbers problem. Ottoville & FJ should have consolidated before spending $80-100 million between the 2 new HS. Both schools have declining enrollment and several empty classrooms. You are lucky you have high property taxes to pay for the schools. Ottoville girls have a fantastic coach, but he may want to retire in the next few years, then what?

#18 JAB

All State

• Members
  • 947 posts

Member No.: 410

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

I don't know how big the CYO basket program is in Ottoville this year, but CYO hasn't done the high school program many favors in the last 5 years. With having such small class sizes CYO real should have some kind of limit to the amount of teams,especially in communities the size of Ottoville. No other high school boys teams in the area have an issue of only playing 2 quarter jv games, that I have heard of.

Edited by JAB, 15 February 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#19 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

^^^ No way. CYO is fun and pressure-free basketball - why would anyone want to limit it?

#20 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

View Postvon, on 14 February 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

You all have great comments, thanks for sharing. It is a talent and numbers problem. Ottoville & FJ should have consolidated before spending $80-100 million between the 2 new HS. Both schools have declining enrollment and several empty classrooms. You are lucky you have high property taxes to pay for the schools. Ottoville girls have a fantastic coach, but he may want to retire in the next few years, then what?

Great comments as usual by von.....I think you really miss Ottoville.....speaking of Fort Jennings...the Lima News reported last week that they have their new school paid off....remarkable!!!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users