LCC Tbirds!!!!!!

160 replies to this topic

#1 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just finished reading the Lima News article on everybody's favorite area team....I know many of you don't really give a hoot about LCC, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Birds........many factors enter into this and I will not go there at this time.....man, they appear loaded with talent and quickness and should contend for the NWC...please read Frank's last statement in the Lima News......I feel for Coach Kill because he has one very big obstacle ahead of him......he must try to get his players to buy into 'team basketball'.......with all the talent, this will be a huge task.....good luck Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 pokercat

All District

• Members
  • 148 posts

Member No.: 6137

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Was shocking what Coach Kill said in the article.Isn't this the coaches#1 responsibility??

#3 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 4554

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I agree that LCC is and should be the favorite in the league this year. They're just as loaded as ever and guys like Johnson, Hodges, West, and Kimbrough will lead them to a lot of success. Having said that I don't feel for Coach Kill like you do Flounder. This is his job. His responsibility as coach is to make sure that a team concept is in place. I'm not going to give any sympathy to a coach that himself even said he's dealing with kids that aren't used to criticism. He is a good coach and I have no personal issues with Coach Kill, but come on! Just because he's at LCC and has to deal with entitled athletes means that he should get sympathy and a "Good try, coach" if the team doesn't mesh. The fact that it's even an issue that Kill needed to bring up in the interview is more alarming to me. As I said before, I think LCC will win the NWC, but that lack of cohesiveness on the team leads me to believe that they will not run the table.

#4 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

After watching many great coaches over the years, I think the hardest thing for any coach is getting the athlete to buy into the team concept.....I have seen teams with mucho talent that never get out of the sectional.....mainly because of to many players with the 'ego' issue....it might be the coach's responsibility, but it is also one of the toughest issues a coach can have....I really think it was a major issue last season with the Tbirds!!!!!!

#5 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Member No.: 9368

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

The scary thing about this team is they only lose Johnson and Huffman next year.

#6 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostNWbballfan, on 04 December 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

The scary thing about this team is they only lose Johnson and Huffman next year.

Yes, they are loaded....therefore, kick them out of the NWC!!!!!

#7 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 December 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

Just finished reading the Lima News article on everybody's favorite area team....I know many of you don't really give a hoot about LCC, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Birds........many factors enter into this and I will not go there at this time.....man, they appear loaded with talent and quickness and should contend for the NWC...please read Frank's last statement in the Lima News......I feel for Coach Kill because he has one very big obstacle ahead of him......he must try to get his players to buy into 'team basketball'.......with all the talent, this will be a huge task.....good luck Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you feel for him? That is laughable. Do you feel for Coach Allen at Lima Senior High? Who deals with kids who are much more entitled, who struggle much more at home and he plays a schedule 10 times more difficult. Not to mention Kill is coaching some kids who came through Allen's middle school program. Give me a break you "feel for Coach Kill"

#8 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

View Postdw629, on 04 December 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

How do you feel for him? That is laughable. Do you feel for Coach Allen at Lima Senior High? Who deals with kids who are much more entitled, who struggle much more at home and he plays a schedule 10 times more difficult. Not to mention Kill is coaching some kids who came through Allen's middle school program. Give me a break you "feel for Coach Kill"

Well said! I never heard anyone saying "I feel for Paulding's coach" because of bad player attitudes and parent interfering. That's just the way it is at a lot of schools, especially ones in bigger cities. Kids with talent are coddled and told they're the best in the area. Once they hear that, they don't want to put the necessary work to improve and be part of the team concept because nobody makes them and they don't have to listen to anybody that gives any kind of criticism. Why does Kill deserve sympathy? Sure it sucks dealing with entitled kids, but it's not like he didn't know that could happen when he took the job.

#9 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I just don't think Frank Kill is the man for this job. Granted there is a lot of talent on this team, but having them buy into the team concept of basketball in my opinion is not his strong suite. I believe that he is the guy that is in the wrong position and that means that he is in Bob Seggersons shadow. Come tournament time this team may implode against some team that they should have beat and then the finger pointing will really start to take shape. In one way shape or form this job is gonna kill him. no pun intended. As far as Shawn Allen is concerned, if I were him I would be ticked off with all the defections on Cable Road. Lima Senior is really gonna struggle this year and some of that is attributed to all the players enrolled at LCC. Just not right especially when you have players like Kimbrough and Stewart whose fathers played at Lima Senior. No loyalty to the school thats for certain.

#10 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

View Postdw629, on 04 December 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostPHSfan_1023, on 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Well said! I never heard anyone saying "I feel for Paulding's coach" because of bad player attitudes and parent interfering. That's just the way it is at a lot of schools, especially ones in bigger cities. Kids with talent are coddled and told they're the best in the area. Once they hear that, they don't want to put the necessary work to improve and be part of the team concept because nobody makes them and they don't have to listen to anybody that gives any kind of criticism. Why does Kill deserve sympathy? Sure it sucks dealing with entitled kids, but it's not like he didn't know that could happen when he took the job.

Man guys...chill out and relax.....it was just a term, which apparently I used to loosely......right now, I feel for both of you for being so critical of Frank and the Birds......

Actually.....I do feel for you PHSfan....you are from Paulding aren't you.....lol!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Frank Kill will coach himself out of a job when OG beats them in the regionals again.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#12 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostDakota Green, on 04 December 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I just don't think Frank Kill is the man for this job. Granted there is a lot of talent on this team, but having them buy into the team concept of basketball in my opinion is not his strong suite. I believe that he is the guy that is in the wrong position and that means that he is in Bob Seggersons shadow. Come tournament time this team may implode against some team that they should have beat and then the finger pointing will really start to take shape. In one way shape or form this job is gonna kill him. no pun intended. As far as Shawn Allen is concerned, if I were him I would be ticked off with all the defections on Cable Road. Lima Senior is really gonna struggle this year and some of that is attributed to all the players enrolled at LCC. Just not right especially when you have players like Kimbrough and Stewart whose fathers played at Lima Senior. No loyalty to the school thats for certain.

Wans't Simpson a Lima Senior guy? His son is pretty good for a Freshman.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#13 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Dakota......

Frank will be around as long as he wants the job.......plenty of talent waiting in the wings.....heck, look how long it took Seggerson to win a state title.......and, I really think LCC is becoming a football school now.....if that is the proper term to use.....wait a minute...I'll ask PHSfan and dw629 if that is the proper term to use!!!!!!!

#14 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 December 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Man guys...chill out and relax.....it was just a term, which apparently I used to loosely......right now, I feel for both of you for being so critical of Frank and the Birds......

Actually.....I do feel for you PHSfan....you are from Paulding aren't you.....lol!!!!!!!!!!!

The meaning was a little misunderstood then. Sometimes that kind of stuff gets lost when it's not a face-to-face conversation. Having said that, I hope that last part of your first paragraph isn't being too serious, because I think no team is above criticism. Not even the mighty Thunderbirds of Lima Central Catholic. :rolleyes:

#15 Badlands

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Member No.: 3149

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Flounder, I actually caught your sarcasm....

#16 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostBadlands, on 04 December 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Flounder, I actually caught your sarcasm....

Badlands....

One of my true friends...how ya doing.....I knew that if anyone caught it....it would be you!!!!!

#17 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 December 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Frank will be around as long as he wants the job....

I must disagree with that statement ;)

I would say that Coach Kill can be compared to Chizic from Auburn, Tress from OSU, and others.........

I would think that his window of opportunity is about 2-3 years.........at the most
one misstep will eventually cost him this plum job......whether is be one of his infamous in-game blowups, or a father/relative going into
the locker room after a game, etc.....

the talent level at LCC right now is off the charts for a D3/D5 school.......you could conceivably compare it quite favorably to a Youngstown
Ursuline, Cardinal Mooney, or Africentric........just ridiculous athletes roaming the halls down on S. Cable Rd.......while i don't agree 100%
with the NWC asking for their withdrawal (and don't get me started after all we went through when we broke this story last year) I do believe
that the other schools were looking out for their best interests............

The Tbirds will definitely win the NWC and "not contend" as you so eloquently said in an earlier post..........they are going to go out with a bang
and I would suspect that a future tournament date with OG is on the horizon..........RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#18 Dr. Lou

All District

• Members
  • 254 posts

Member No.: 4046

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Yes, they are loaded....therefore, kick them out of the NWC!!!!!
I can't wait for this to take place because I'm sick of the whining. LCC says they need better competition but as soon as other NWC schools vote LCC out of the NWC, LCC cries. What the heck does LCC want exactly? Would it have made the fans feel better if they would've left on their own? Please stop bringing this up because in the end LCC is going to get exactly what they wanted which is better competition.

Edited by Dr. Lou, 04 December 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#19 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostDakota Green, on 04 December 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

As far as Shawn Allen is concerned, if I were him I would be ticked off with all the defections on Cable Road. Lima Senior is really gonna struggle this year and some of that is attributed to all the players enrolled at LCC. Just not right especially when you have players like Kimbrough and Stewart whose fathers played at Lima Senior. No loyalty to the school thats for certain.

Senior guard Tre’on Johnson, a three-year starter who averaged 7 points a game last season, and junior guard Bruce Hodges (6.5 points a game) are returning starters. Hodges missed the Tip-Off Classic last weekend while on an indefinite suspension.

Juniors Martyce Kimbrough (8 points a game), Darius West (5 points a game) and Cory Stewart all contributed off the bench last season. Senior Sam Huffman is back after missing last season because of a football injury and sophomore Jake Williams will play in the post

Stewart, at 6-4, and Williams and Huffman at 6-2 will be the Thunderbirds’ inside players. West is known most for his defensive work. Johnson, Kimbrough and Hodges will be joined by 5-8 freshman Xavier Simpson in the backcourt rotation.

Martyce, Stewart and Darius I am almost certain played in the City schools most of their years and Xavier Simpson's father Quincy coached a number of years at Lima Senior and I believe Xavier spent time in city schools also. Anyone you look at it they are called Lima Central Catholic but most of the minutes that are played are by kids who pay tuition through vouchers and are not Catholics. I believe the way this school operates gives a bad name to many good private institution such as DSJ. If I was a paying member of the school for several years and these kids just transfer in hs and start playing over my son or daughter I would not be happy because this is not what that school was built on. It blows my mind that a school that pulls a lot of the best athletes from 40 grand plays in D3/D5.

#20 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

View Postdw629, on 04 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Senior guard Tre’on Johnson, a three-year starter who averaged 7 points a game last season, and junior guard Bruce Hodges (6.5 points a game) are returning starters. Hodges missed the Tip-Off Classic last weekend while on an indefinite suspension.
Juniors Martyce Kimbrough (8 points a game), Darius West (5 points a game) and Cory Stewart all contributed off the bench last season. Senior Sam Huffman is back after missing last season because of a football injury and sophomore Jake Williams will play in the post
Stewart, at 6-4, and Williams and Huffman at 6-2 will be the Thunderbirds’ inside players. West is known most for his defensive work. Johnson, Kimbrough and Hodges will be joined by 5-8 freshman Xavier Simpson in the backcourt rotation.
Martyce, Stewart and Darius I am almost certain played in the City schools most of their years and Xavier Simpson's father Quincy coached a number of years at Lima Senior and I believe Xavier spent time in city schools also. Anyone you look at it they are called Lima Central Catholic but most of the minutes that are played are by kids who pay tuition through vouchers and are not Catholics. I believe the way this school operates gives a bad name to many good private institution such as DSJ. If I was a paying member of the school for several years and these kids just transfer in hs and start playing over my son or daughter I would not be happy because this is not what that school was built on. It blows my mind that a school that pulls a lot of the best athletes from 40 grand plays in D3/D5.

Don't just assume that because someone went to LCS at some point that they are on vouchers.

I'm certain that Martyce Kimbrough and Corey Stewart are not on vouchers. I don't know whether or not Darius West or Xavier Simpson are.

Stewart may have played one season in the LCS basketball system, I'm not sure. He spent the majority of his years at St. Gerard and then went to St. Charles in junior high. I'm not sure when Martyce Kimbrough switched to the Lima Catholic School system. I know that his family (older cousins Aaron and Anthony) went to St. Charles from preschool - 8th grade and graduated from LCC. If you talk to Xavier's dad, Quincy, he'll be the first to tell you that basketball was the last thing on his list when he decided to move Xavier to St. Charles. I don't know much about Darius West's background, but I certainly don't pretend to know or assume anything about him.

Someone mentioned earlier that the kids whose parents went to LSH have no loyalty to the school and are effectively not "LCC players." I'd like to ask that person where he would send his kids if given the choice? LCC or LSH? I would guess that your answer would be LCC. What is so wrong with these parents making the same decision and choosing a better school system for their kids?.. Just because they didn't have the opportunity means that they should deny their kids that opportunity?

Edited by Rd2Glory, 05 December 2012 - 08:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users