League Title or Regional Final loss?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before on here , but I always seem to find myself in debates regarding a league title or a regional final's run. What are you're thoughts?

Or how often does your team do both?

I know from my own experience that you don't touch a WBL title if you want to make a deep run into the tourny

#2 Yellow_Jacket06

All State

• Members
  • 523 posts

Member No.: 3518

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

I'd value a District title over a League title. Actually in my schools case I'd value any title. Making it through sectionals would be a blessing.

:crybaby:

Edited by Yellow_Jacket06, 11 February 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#3 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

I sense you're from Jackson center, or at least a JC fan...

#4 Yellow_Jacket06

All State

• Members
  • 523 posts

Member No.: 3518

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Sadly no

I'd love being a fan of a 18-0 team. Alas my life is not that simple.

#5 bballcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Member No.: 46

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

I would take a regional appearance any day over a league title. People remember a regional game alot longer than when they won the league. Says much more about state compaarison also. Final 16 in state.

#6 RWB 71

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Member No.: 414

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

I suspect a district title plus winning your first game of the regional (moving you into the "elite eight")would be more satisfying than winning your league, especially if your team went deeper into the tournament than the league title champions!

Edited by RWB 71, 11 February 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#7 Big_Blue

All League

• Members
  • 34 posts

Member No.: 8952

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostEmerson, on 11 February 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

I know from my own experience that you don't touch a WBL title if you want to make a deep run into the tourny

Ottawa-Glandorf doesn't seem to have this problem. They won the WBL title 4 years in a row from 2001-2004 and advanced to the regionals every year, including 1 state title and 2 losses to Lebron and Co in the regional finals

#8 Big_Blue

All League

• Members
  • 34 posts

Member No.: 8952

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

I think it depends on the school. O-G seems to be in the district finals almost every year. Anything less than that is a disappointment. So going to the regionals is still exciting, but not a HUGE deal. WBL titles are still celebrated though. Especially with the banner hanging in the gym listing every year the title has been won.

#9 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostBig_Blue, on 11 February 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ottawa-Glandorf doesn't seem to have this problem. They won the WBL title 4 years in a row from 2001-2004 and advanced to the regionals every year, including 1 state title and 2 losses to Lebron and Co in the regional finals

View PostEmerson, on 11 February 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before on here , but I always seem to find myself in debates regarding a league title or a regional final's run. What are you're thoughts?

Or how often does your team do both?

a bit of clarification may be needed here. I think emerson meant schools that won the wbl but played in the lima sr. sectional has some difficulty advancing deep into the tourney. Certainly OG has distinguished itself from this trend, as they have advanced more often than not after winning the wbl. however, for other teams its been a struggle moving past the districts after winning the wbl.did some quick checking and since 1999, teams that competed in the lima sr. sectional/bg district, has advanced only 5 times to the regional, 3 of those were OG the other 2 were van wert in 2007 and st. marys in 2005. The 8 other times have shown that winning the wbl and competing in the lima sr. sectional is brutal on teams. this may not be scientific research and I went through it pretty fast. OG was div. 3 in 2009 and celina was in Div. 1 in 1999. but there is some kinda trend when you exclude OG from the mix. I have found this trend also true in other sports as well, especially soccer.

#10 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I've only seen one league title and one trip to regionals so far in my lifetime for Defiance, both in the same year. So I'd probably take either lol.

But as good as this year's team looks, if you gave me the option of beating Elida, winning the WBL outright, and possibly going 20-0 but losing early in the tournament, or losing to Elida, sharing the league title, and getting to at least regionals, I'd take the loss to Elida in a heartbeat.

I guess as a fan I'd want both if I can get them.....but would much rather have the success in March if I can only have one.

#11 bluestreaksfever

All District

• Members
  • 219 posts

Member No.: 754

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

They are both important. League Title. At least for me as a Bluestreaks fan, it means we defeated our archrivals, and this year it meant upsetting them. If we win the last two games of the season, we win it outright, and this year that means a lot to Archbold, considering they probably won't make it out of their district this year. We lost in a regional final last year, and I wouldn't trade the playoff games we did win against Delta, Paulding, or Plymouth. Plus you get a trophy for district and sectional wins.
However, being from Archbold, I don't recall many seasons where they made it all the way to the regional final without having won the NWOAL.

Edited by bluestreaksfever, 11 February 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#12 Outspoken

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Member No.: 243

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

I would take the deep memorable tourney runs. Those are really the ones you look back on. League titles are great, and its's cool when you go to gyms like Archbold, Kalida, Wayne Trace, OG , Crestview, Delphos St. John's etc and see the stacks of years of league dominance on the walls. However, it's cool to walk the hallways and look in the trophy cases of schools like those and see team pictures, nets that have been cut down, and gold and silver handed out from places like the Elida Fieldhouse, the Grand Canyon, Anderson Arena, Savage Hall, St. John Arena, and Value City Arena....etc. Some schools rarely and some even never get to experience those wonderful feelings EVER. Those are the times you cherish definitely in my opinion and experience

#13 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'd say deep tournament runs. You are typically one school among 6-8-10 teams in a conference, and one school among 25-30 teams in a region, or even 12-14 in a district. You win your league one week, get bounced in the first round of the tournament, that league title becomes a little hollow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users