Lima Senior Basketball......The Dawning of a New Era..

138 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

With today's announcement by the "real media" and something that everyone here at the RC
has known for weeks......Lima Senior has left go former head coach Shawn Allen....though
Allen did not go quietly it probably was the best thing for all parties involved in the end...

I can see where he thought he got the short straw but having a career record of 77-79 just
doesn't get it done when it comes to LSH basketball....the Spartans enjoy a storied past
and it didn't seem that they were moving in the right direction fast enough for some's thinking...
There will be plenty of names bandied about over the next several weeks here on the RC with
some of them being just "wishful thinking" to ones who have no business being named....

A lot of the names previously mentioned on the other thread were of the "local flavor" but I can
see some real heavyweights testing the waters on this one....this isn't like the football job
that was drowning....Spartan basketball still brings back lots of memories to many basketball
fans in this area and throughout the state.....LSH might be able to lure a coach that could
keep the talent playing on the Spartans home floor.....With Coach Fell helping out this could
be a bonanza for both sports and quite conceivably help all the other programs in the meantime...

So who do you think fills the bill as the next coach to patrol the sidelines?
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

It is possible that even a assistant in a college setting with 'dare I say recruiting ability' or the availablity to keep the local kids around would be interested in this job. This job is a plum despite what some people may think. Lima Senior basketball has a rich tradition and that tradition has been in question the last 5 to 10 years. As I said on another thread this is a tremendously important hire for Lima Senior and one that they cannot screw up on. For sure there will a lot of applicants for this job, but I think that the Lima Senior athletic department has a short list of names that they will try to win over if those names do not apply. I know that the detractors out there will point out that the Lima school system has a lot of flaws regarding the academic issues that have plague virtually every inner city school system in the state and country, so academic emphasis will also be stressed from the new coach. Tie in discipline, accountability to oneself and team and be able to rebuild a former perrennial basketbal power is a tremendous amount to ask for a future coach. As I said earlier they will find their man.

#3 pokercat

All District

• Members
  • 148 posts

Member No.: 6137

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

My guess- Chris Adams

#4 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

View Postpokercat, on 18 March 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

My guess- Chris Adams
Adams is also the AD at UNOH. I don't see him taking that pay cut to coach high school basketball again.

#5 bball_fanatic

All District

• Members
  • 150 posts

Member No.: 2164

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Chris doesnt need that pay difference... trust me.
Chris Adams
Doug Davis
Matt Tabler
Jamar Butler
Those are my top 4.
Q wont even apply. Someone said is co-hort Warren Pughsley... hahahah he got let go by Spencerville as the girls coach because he couldn't produce W's.
And speaking of Q and Pughsley... Im surprised no one has mentioned the third guy apart of the "Lima trio who gives everything to the youth and never accepts monetary benefits" (sarcasm ofcourse)- Chris Jackson.

#6 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Frankie Kill!!!!!!!!!!

Also........I really don't see a lot of applicants for this job...........glory days of Lima Senior basketball left a long time ago!!!!!!!

#7 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

If Simpson does apply I think that he will get an interview maybe even the job.

But it seems to me that he burnt his bridges a long time ago. So it's probably a long shot.

I could see Tabler. He seems to work well with what he has a Perry. But not sure if he will be able to bring discipline to Senior High.

Davis would be a good fit. He was an assistant back when they were very good and saw what worked and didn't work when Whitney was the coach.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#8 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostHound Dog, on 18 March 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

If Simpson does apply I think that he will get an interview maybe even the job.

But it seems to me that he burnt his bridges a long time ago. So it's probably a long shot.

I could see Tabler. He seems to work well with what he has a Perry. But not sure if he will be able to bring discipline to Senior High.

Davis would be a good fit. He was an assistant back when they were very good and saw what worked and didn't work when Whitney was the coach.

Does Simpson have a degree and/or a teaching credential? Or, are all their coaches walk-ons?

#9 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm just throwing a name out how about Nick Bertke old Shawnee head coach?

#10 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Any chance Holloway...LSH girls coach would want it....have met him....seems like a good guy and has had a lot of success

#11 bball_fanatic

All District

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Sheen... "Halliday" will not take it. He is tight with Allen and wouldnt do that to him. Plus he is like the "Mike Fell" on the girls side at LSH... he has it too good.
Colt- Nice mention of Bertke- but he is more reserved than most of the coaches I have witnessed and Im not sure he is the right temperment for LSH. Great guy but he is heavily involved with his kids sports and coaching them at Shawnee. But who knows......

#12 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Lol...not sure how I ended up with Holloway. Dang spell check :) Really didnt know the situation.....but what would being "tight with Allen" matter? He didnt ask LSH to fire him. He is a teacher??

Edited by charliesheen, 18 March 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#13 bball_fanatic

All District

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Lol.... its ok. I figured who you were talking about but wanted to make sure you werent pluggin for the Holloway apparel. LoL... wellllll seeing as if Allen got fired and wasnt happy about it and didnt go quietly... kinda hard for Halliday to continue having beers at the Allen residence if he did take the job ya know? And yes Halliday is a teacher at LSH...... but like I said- he has it too good on the girls side.

#14 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Member No.: 9636

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

View Postvon, on 18 March 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Does Simpson have a degree and/or a teaching credential? Or, are all their coaches walk-ons?

no and no. It's highly unlikely that Mr Simpson would work for only a basketball coaches salary. I'f I were him, I wouldn't either...He's been invited to coach at John Lucas camp in the past...once Xavier is out of school, Quincey will take whatever opprotunity gains him the most revenue and go for it.

That being said, he would get the most out of the LSH players. I beleive his teams went undefeated for the few years he was JV coach at LSH

#15 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Member No.: 9542

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

It's a no brainer they NEED to hire Quincey Simpson. He not only works with the youth in this community but he has personal relationships with kids in the LSH program starting in elementary. Kids will run through a wall for him. He's won at every level, freshman, JV, college & pros. Not to mention he has an AAU National Championship. Total different kids & men and won at all levels. Why is there another debate needed. LSH feels Quincey turned his back on them when they feel "their" kids left to other schools.They feel that's Quincey's to blame. How sad. If they want those kids back, if they wanna win for a long time then it's a no brainer he should be the coach. Paul Whitney has been gone over for YEARS. He doesn't know these kids.If he couldn't control "Mr. Basketball" then he has no clue on these kids.The only person I see these kids look up to is Quincey. I've actually seen him coach them before and it's clear. Davis did decent at Bath but LSH is a different breed of kids. Look at his for we assistant whose coaching JV at LSH. He has no clue how to interact with those kids. It'll be worse for Davis bc he's not vocal at all. We all know he's LSH's #1 guy. Jamar butler is #2. And that's 2 HORRIBLE DECISIONS. They need to really wake up and go after the one who wins and is involved with ALL the kids.Quincy Simpson should be the next Coach at LSH.

#16 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Member No.: 9542

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostGhost of Obed, on 19 March 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

no and no. It's highly unlikely that Mr Simpson would work for only a basketball coaches salary. I'f I were him, I wouldn't either...He's been invited to coach at John Lucas camp in the past...once Xavier is out of school, Quincey will take whatever opprotunity gains him the most revenue and go for it.

That being said, he would get the most out of the LSH players. I beleive his teams went undefeated for the few years he was JV coach at LSH
I think Quincy would taske the job.
He has other sources of income.
Coaching is what he loves and with the LSH kids he would have them Winning from jump.
They are a very talented team. Very athletic.
Aside from X i think they are more talented with Flowers,Stafford,Thomas

#17 Jake21

• Members
  • 18 posts

Member No.: 9640

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Quincy Simpson I don't believe wants it anymore, he wasn't offered it when he did want it now the situation is changed.

#18 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostJake21, on 19 March 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Quincy Simpson I don't believe wants it anymore, he wasn't offered it when he did want it now the situation is changed.

Not true, 100% fact he wants it and wants it bad.

#19 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

View Postdw629, on 19 March 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Not true, 100% fact he wants it and wants it bad.

Where there's proof... there's FACTS!!!

#20 Bigdogg79

All District

• Members
  • 340 posts

Member No.: 5845

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

This is not your father's Lima Senior. I see them struggling in football and basketball for a long time no mater who the coach is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users