The 2013 Browns

181 replies to this topic

#61 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Well it looks like jason Campbell is the man now. Browns can only ride out the season until Draft day. With Hoyer hurt, Weeded being Weeden, and the Browns only other QB, we are down to in Campbell we trust.

My point on Johnny is as great as a comeback he led everyone keeps looking past the fact he THREW two interceptions. One thing is certain and constant in the NFL. YOU can make mistakes, but DON't make turnovers. Every QB coming out will be expected to start I get that, but not all are able to right away. The drafts are full of Starting QB's because of the team they go that are not successful, than it is with teams that get the Andrew LUcks, John Elways. I just think sometimes teams get desperate and take the Guy everyone thinks can be the next guy, just so they aren't the ones that needed a QB and didn't take him and someone else did and he worked for them. There is a system you are trying to run, and that guy may not be your system Guy. LUCK,RG3, Wilson all different style QB's all different systems. I am just saying I just hope whoever the Browns get for their QB, they get the Style of QB and Athlete that has shown he has some skill with that type. It would enhance your chances, or a very adaptable and intelligent QB, who is athletic and intelligent enough to learn your system. Much like Wilson did going from NC STate to Wisconsin. No one expected him to start so there either.

#62 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Picking Campbell over Weeden is like picking a cold over the flu.

As for the next guy, I'm scared of Bridgewater and Manziel because they are wiry. (Picture Jeff Garcia and Colt McCoy getting pounded around the NFL pocket). Although I believe Manziel has everthing you would want but the size. Whoever they get, I'm glad Hoyer is returning just in case they miss again with the pick. Hoyer has everything but the big arm

#63 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Member No.: 9502

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Let's get over the size. Brees, RG3, Dalton, Wilson are under 6'2 along with Johnny Football and they seem to be doing just fine. Sure size can help you in some way but if you're not 6'5 230lbs that doesn't mean you won't succeed as a QB in this league. As for Hoyer, he did well when he is in as the Browns starting QB. But when he does come back will it continue? I mean the guy learned some things I'm sure being a back up to Tom Brady in New England but couldn't keep the job at Arizona where they were desperate in need of a QB last season. So far lately the kid from Oregon has been one of my favorites of being the top QB coming out of the draft next year. We can pin point all the details and stats of these QBs but in the end it's just tough to predict how some of these guys will do in the next level. The Browns unfortunately have been swinging and missing on a lot of these QBs they have drafted.

#64 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

The browns enter the bye week 4-5 after beating the defending Super Bowl champs today. The browns defense is beginning to look like a top 5 defense. The run game needs work and will need to be addressed in the off season, but a good, young WR corp and an O=line that can pass block, the browns should be in every game the rest of the season........and keep Weeden off the field, in games he does not start the browns are 4-1.

#65 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I thought Campbell did just enough to help the Browns win, and didn't do anything to put the Defense which has been playing really well in a though spot. I am actually concerned that the running game hasn't been very good. We signed past his prime back to replace Trent, and the other backs we have on the team do not seem to be able to be any spark.

#66 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 03 November 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

the browns should be in every game the rest of the season

4 out of their next 7 games will be against potential playoff teams. So the Browns have a chance to gain some ground on some teams in the wild card race or against the Bengals in their own division race.

#67 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

I didnt' think I would agree but ward you are right looking at the browns schedule and the bengals. Other than New England, they could win or should be in the game with a chance to win. i think they have to win the division, though to get in. I don't think a wild card will be coming out of that division. The Bengals vs. Ravens this week can really effect the conference, if the Ravens can win.

#68 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 9528

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

The Browns have a quality defense and just enough offense to keep them in most of their remaining games. The optimist in me sees the potential of a 5-2 finish but realistically 4-3 or 3-4 is more likely. The Browns have in order at Cin, Pitt and Jax at home, at NE, Chi at home, then at NYJ and at Pitt. Beating Cin and Pitt away will be tall orders but not sure losses anymore. You never know what you will get with the Bears and Jets this time of year and NE away is unlikely, so if the Browns can beat the Jets, split with Pitt beat Jax and pull one more upset with Cin, Chi or NE its an 8-8 season but 6-10 7-9 is more likely.

Of course this all relies on Jason Campbell remaining healthy and continuing to play as he has. As far as the draft next year and figuring on a middle of the pack first round pick with their two number ones, I hope we don't reach for a QB with that first pick. I am not that impressed with any of the college QBs this year as far as being able to project a for sure number one. My hope is we use the first pick to take a can't miss player and then take a QB with our second first round pick, hoping Hoyer can come back and play like he did.

I am intrigued by Johnny Manziel. One on hand I am not a fan of his persona and am not sure he is big and strong enough to play at a high level in the NFL. But he has that it factor that makes you wonder... The draft will be huge for the Browns this year and regime after regime has screwed it up but I think we are on the right track now??????

#69 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Also just read that the Steelers expect Big Ben to ask the team to explore trade possibilities for next year. Would he play for the Browns? Would you want him?

#70 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

I don't think the Browns should take him. First off, Ben is slowly declining as the QB he once was. Second off, I don't know that I would give up anything just to get Ben. You are better off just sticking with Campbell or Hoyer and just get a QB in the draft that will be able to develop and learn behind them.

#71 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I agree with Ward. Not that he wouldn't help you win now, but he would want to much money and we would have to give up alot of picks. I think Hoyer showed promise, and there are QB's you can draft and work into the position in this draft.

#72 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Well he & his agent have both now come out and claimed the rumors are false and the team has denied shopping him around. So we can probably assume both were true at some point lol.

I agree that the Browns don't need him bad enough to pay what they'd have to pay for him. Hoyer Campbell and a draft pick will do for now. Weeden I hope got his degree while at OK ST...

#73 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

So big game this week for the Browns, anyones thoughts on if they can sweep the Bengals. I think if they can get into Dalton's head early, they can beat the Bengals again. He has struggled with accuracy these past few games, and if they can get him guessing. They will need to stop the run to force him to pass more. Just hop Campbell can keep drives alive and move the ball. Even three point drives are better than three plays and punt.

#74 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

The big question is can the Browns establish a consistent offense to win some of these games down the road? Campbell is not a QB that you can rely on if the run game is not working. Even if he continues to do the little things right you still need to have that run game. Browns are 26th in rushing offense and that needs to improve otherwise opposing defenses will force the Browns to run. As far as the Bengals they can definitely win that game. The Bengals have not been playing that well lately and the Browns are coming off a bye after a nice win against the Ravens.

#75 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Go Cinci!

(I sure miss not being able to post my graphics! :( )
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#76 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postslice slice baby, on 15 November 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Go Cinci!

(I sure miss not being able to post my graphics! :( )

Shhh!!!! Pittsburgh fan

#77 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

My Browns / Bengals Preview
SportsInsights.com & ESPN both have the Bengals as a 6 point favorite and a O/U of 42. The game is in Cincinnati with a forecast of 70 windy & thunderstorms.

The Browns are coming off a bye while the Bengals have lost two straight. The Browns haven't swept Cincy since 2002. This game is for first place in division.

I like the six points with bad weather and the Browns D. Everything else favors the Bengals straight up. Seems like teams often play flat after a bye and Bengals need a win at home. This game IMO will come down to special teams play with a big play or two determining outcome.

A friend said Browns will win if Campbell keeps playing over his head. I said Brandon Weeden looked so bad on the field that it makes it look like Campbell is playing over his head when he is actually only playing like a decent NFL QB is supposed to. HERE WE GO BROWNIES! FEAR THE ELF!!

#78 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostFearTheElf!!, on 15 November 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Shhh!!!! Pittsburgh fan
1 o clock, baby!!!!!

And, yeah, my Steelers are having a rough time of it this year, so, I defer to my other fave team! :D

GO BENGALS!!!! Beat those Browns! ;)
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(

#79 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Special Teams play you heard it here first blah

#80 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

All I'll say is: it was a VERY good day for me. :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users