• 4,541 posts

Member No.: 5546

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Greatest:
Barry Bonds
Babe Ruth
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Nolan Ryan (5th hitter would be Ty Cobb)

Favorite:
Alex Rodriguez
Ken Griffey Jr.
Albert Pujols
Andy Pettitte (the stare over glove to catcher)
Randy Johnson
Follow me on Twitter, @joshuam2007

#22 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Joshua_Morgret @ Mar 13 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greatest:
Barry Bonds
Babe Ruth
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Nolan Ryan (5th hitter would be Ty Cobb)

Favorite:
Alex Rodriguez
Ken Griffey Jr.
Albert Pujols
Andy Pettitte (the stare over glove to catcher)
Randy Johnson

Joshua,

It's funny you would mention the stare over the glove by Pettitte. I'ts exaxtly the reason I DON'T like him. laugh.gif

#23 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Bandido @ Jan 24 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 Questions, 2 list.

1) - Name your top 5 all-time greatest

2) - Name your top 5 favorite players ever

5 Greatest

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Willie Mays
Ted Williams
Hank Aaron

5 favorites

Al Kaline
Mickey Lolich
Kirk Gibson
Alan Trammell
Willie Horton

I agree with Bandido's 5 greatest players.....never saw Ruth or Cobb, but Mays, Aaron and Williams were a joy to watch....of those three, I would take Mays..........he just simply loved the game of baseball......I also think that Barry Bonds should be there .......steroids has tarnished his image, but the guy could play.......

And Dido.....I know you love those Tigers, but what about 'Stormin Normin Cash'....Denny McClain, and the 'Gator'...Gates Brown....not a Tiger fan, but always loved to hear those Tiger fans talk about these 'relics'!!!!!

#24 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (flounder @ Mar 14 2010, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Bandido's 5 greatest players.....never saw Ruth or Cobb, but Mays, Aaron and Williams were a joy to watch....of those three, I would take Mays..........he just simply loved the game of baseball......I also think that Barry Bonds should be there .......steroids has tarnished his image, but the guy could play.......

And Dido.....I know you love those Tigers, but what about 'Stormin Normin Cash'....Denny McClain, and the 'Gator'...Gates Brown....not a Tiger fan, but always loved to hear those Tiger fans talk about these 'relics'!!!!!

I agree that Bonds would have been great without the 'roids. He probably would have hit over 600 homers anyway. He was evidently such a pain and so universally disliked that no one signed him in the end even though he had something left in the tank. Looking at the numbers only, he is the greatest player of all time. Of course, we cannot ignore the steroids. (Rightfully so).

As for McClain: Last guy to win over 30 in a season. An astounding feat that will never happen again.

#25 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (lepiota @ Mar 14 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that Bonds would have been great without the 'roids. He probably would have hit over 600 homers anyway. He was evidently such a pain and so universally disliked that no one signed him in the end even though he had something left in the tank. Looking at the numbers only, he is the greatest player of all time. Of course, we cannot ignore the steroids. (Rightfully so).

As for McClain: Last guy to win over 30 in a season. An astounding feat that will never happen again.

lep.......

I have told my little friend Dido this many times......but, I had the pleasure of meeting Denny McClain just before he went to prison......I almost lol.....he sure did not look like an athlete......just a little butterball with 'hot dog' like fingers......but, a great sense of humor......after looking at him, I wondered if hitters took him seriously!!!!!

#26 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (flounder @ Mar 14 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lep.......

I have told my little friend Dido this many times......but, I had the pleasure of meeting Denny McClain just before he went to prison......I almost lol.....he sure did not look like an athlete......just a little butterball with 'hot dog' like fingers......but, a great sense of humor......after looking at him, I wondered if hitters took him seriously!!!!!

I was a wee lad then, so I don't really remember his stuff. Was it a nasty slider? A curve that fell like a waterfall? Blazing fastball? 30 wins! Crime in Italy, man, what was his secret?

#27 bballcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Member No.: 46

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

5 Greatest

1. Babe Ruth
2. Ty Cobb
3. Ted Williams
4. Pete Rose - Every hit was a triple until someone stopped him
5. Nolan Ryan

Honorable mention - Joe Dimaggio, Hank Aaron, Cal Ripken(anyone who plays that many games in a row deserves mentioning), Bob Feller -What would he have done by not serving in the war

5 Favorite

1. Omar Visquel - Magical
2. Mark "The Bird" Fidyrich - Worth the price of the ticket to watch.
3. Gaylord Perry - Try and figure where he was getting his stuff from
4. Julio Franco - Had to root for him as long as he played
5. Rich Reese - A Deshler product who we knew personally and played for Detroit and Minnesota

#28 osu55

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Member No.: 419

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:45 AM

Greatest

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Willie Mays
Rogers Hornsby
Mickey Mantle

Favorite

Barry Larkin
Pete Rose
Jim Thome
Chris Sabo (with those awesome goggles)
Paul O'neil

#29 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Remember Sabo's world series victory speech? "We got the ring...we got the money.." It was classic. He was also one of a few players to hit for a better average in the Bigs than in the minors.

#30 Coffeecreek

All State

• Members
  • 893 posts

Member No.: 3034

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Greatest:

Roberto Clemente - Poetry in Motion
Pete Rose - The kind of player you hated....unless he was on your team
Lou Gehrig - Quiet, unassuming and in my opinion the greatest Yankee of them all
Willie Mays - Was and still am a Yankee fan. There was always a debate about who was better..Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle. Despised Willie but in retrospect he was the better player.
Ted Williams - From the hated Boston Red Sox. His numbers however, speak for themselves.

Favorite:

Al Kaline - Never a Detroit fan but you have to love Al Kaline. Great hitter and perhaps a better defensive player than offensive. Put up fantastic numbers in a lineup, through much of his career, where teams pitched around him.

Harmon Killebrew - Great power hitter and had even less protection in the batting order than Kaline

Rod Carew - Perhaps the purest hitter I have ever seen

George Foster - The most underrated player on the Big Red Machine.

Yogi Berra - One of the best all around catchers in the history of baseball.

#31 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Coffeecreek @ Apr 2 2010, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greatest:

Roberto Clemente - Poetry in Motion
Pete Rose - The kind of player you hated....unless he was on your team
Lou Gehrig - Quiet, unassuming and in my opinion the greatest Yankee of them all
Willie Mays - Was and still am a Yankee fan. There was always a debate about who was better..Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle. Despised Willie but in retrospect he was the better player.
Ted Williams - From the hated Boston Red Sox. His numbers however, speak for themselves.

Favorite:

Al Kaline - Never a Detroit fan but you have to love Al Kaline. Great hitter and perhaps a better defensive player than offensive. Put up fantastic numbers in a lineup, through much of his career, where teams pitched around him.

Harmon Killebrew - Great power hitter and had even less protection in the batting order than Kaline

Rod Carew - Perhaps the purest hitter I have ever seen

George Foster - The most underrated player on the Big Red Machine.

Yogi Berra - One of the best all around catchers in the history of baseball.

Interesting that, although you describe yourself as a Yankee's fan, your only Yankee "Favorite" was Berra. Even with the slew of Yankee greats available. Nothing wrong with it 'Creek, just note worthy

#32 RWB 71

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Member No.: 414

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

Greatest

Ted Williams
Ty Cobb
Roger Hornsby
Willy Mays
Hank Greenberg

Favorites

Allan Trammell
Dick McCaulife
Bill Frehan
Mickey Lolich
Al Kaline

#33 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

One player I do not see listed(if someone listed this person I apologize for missing it), but IF his career was not cut short by the tragic plane accident, I think Roberto Clemente would have been considered as 1 of the best ever

#34 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (ADog @ May 1 2010, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One player I do not see listed(if someone listed this person I apologize for missing it), but IF his career was not cut short by the tragic plane accident, I think Roberto Clemente would have been considered as 1 of the best ever

I know he had exactly 3000 hits, but how old was he?

#35 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (lepiota @ May 3 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know he had exactly 3000 hits, but how old was he?

You have a point ...I did not realize he was 38 when he died.....

#36 Coffeecreek

All State

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

ADog - I listed Clemente at the top of my greatest list. He was at the top of my list before the crash. He made the game look easy.......

#37 Coffeecreek

All State

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

lepiota - The Yankees, for much of their storied history, have been very solid from top to bottom in the lineup. Additionally, playing in a major market they have been the benefactors of much hype; sometimes warranted, often not. I have always tried to filter out the hype and take into account the strength of their lineup. My point is this - Do you think Roger Maris would have hit 61 Home Runs batting third in the lineup without Mickey Mantle batting fourth? Look at this years lineup; or that of many other Yankee teams. When you are in a position financially to obtain the best players, it has the added benefit of making everyone on the team better. Not that other teams haven't enjoyed this same luxury through the years (Think Big Red Machine) it's just that the Yanks have been in this position far more frequently than most. To sum it all up, I am of the opinion that many of the all-time great Yankees would have been just average ball players when stripped of the hype and the protection of such a strong lineup.

#38 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Coffeecreek @ May 8 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lepiota - The Yankees, for much of their storied history, have been very solid from top to bottom in the lineup. Additionally, playing in a major market they have been the benefactors of much hype; sometimes warranted, often not. I have always tried to filter out the hype and take into account the strength of their lineup. My point is this - Do you think Roger Maris would have hit 61 Home Runs batting third in the lineup without Mickey Mantle batting fourth? Look at this years lineup; or that of many other Yankee teams. When you are in a position financially to obtain the best players, it has the added benefit of making everyone on the team better. Not that other teams haven't enjoyed this same luxury through the years (Think Big Red Machine) it's just that the Yanks have been in this position far more frequently than most. To sum it all up, I am of the opinion that many of the all-time great Yankees would have been just average ball players when stripped of the hype and the protection of such a strong lineup.

Agreed, (especially with Maris) Reggie Jackson benefitted from that kind of batting order protection. Paul O' Neil was a much better hitter with the Yanks that the Reds. Some greats are crushed by the weight of the pinstripes though. Dave Winfield comes to mind, as does Ruben Sierra.

#39 Coffeecreek

All State

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

Certainly with Winfield and Sierra and there have been many others. Roger Maris comes to mind. Speaking of Paul O'Neal, he was the perfect example of benefiting from being in a strong lineup AND having the right disposition to deal with playing in New York. He was a very valuable part of those Yankee teams.

#40 svcats10

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Member No.: 6355

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

5 Greatest.... really took some time on this..

1.Nolan Ryan
2.Hank Aaron
3.Willy Mays
4.Pete Rose
5.Ty Cobb

5 Favorite

1.Tyler Colvin (Cubs)
2.Starlin Castro (Cubs)
3.Ryan Sandberg (Cubs)
4.Marylon Byrd (Cubs)
5.Mark Grace(Cubs)

Lol imma die hard cubs fun