64 replies to this topic

#21 ramoth

All League

• Members
  • 79 posts

Member No.: 5591

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

The waiting is almost over biggrin.gif
I'm looking forward to the start of the regular season.

#22 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Tigers will open the season vs Zack Grienke in KC . Go Tigers!

#23 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Great opening day comeback, and very solid pitching so far. Hopefully Valverde just had a bad night last night and it wasn't a sign that he's going to be as shaky as closers we've had in the past.

Hopefully they can get a couple of good outings from Willis and Bonderman the next 2 days. Those 2 to me are by far the biggest question marks this season.

#24 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Had to love the weekend sweep of the Indians. Probably didn't deserve to win yesterdays game-but they'll take it if the Indians want to give it.

#25 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

Need to start getting more than 5 innings from their starters or the bullpen is going to be spent by June.

#26 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Went to the game yesterday....what a pathetic outing by Detroit.

Did get to see this though:

Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#27 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (doughash @ Apr 12 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need to start getting more than 5 innings from their starters or the bullpen is going to be spent by June.

That they do.

I WANT to believe in this team, but they're just too inconsistent. They can't keep relying on the pen and coming from behind if they want to win the division. That said, it's nice to see some clutch hits and the pen step up.

Hopefully Willis and Bonderman keep up what they did their first start. I think Bonderman has the better shot of doing it though, he looked great.

#28 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Another comeback win. This has to stop if they expect to be in the race for the long haul, but it sure is fun to watch right now.

#29 ramoth

All League

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

Not much fun lately, they've dropped three straight series and have fallen to .500

#30 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

And I believe has STILL trailed in every game they've played. This has got to stop. They have no one outside of Ordonez and Cabrera who can get a clutch hit, the starters have been bad(even Verlander and Porcello). The bullpen still is pretty good but it's being overused and you can't expect it to hold on much longer.

Just one game I'd like to see them come out, score 6 in the first and roll to a nice 15-2 win.

#31 ramoth

All League

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

Scored 2 in the ninth for another comeback win last night...

Starters would be better if the offense would get on the board before the 5th inning.

#32 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Great series against New York, and great comeback tonight.

Anyone else think Guillen may be back at short if/when he's healthy again? Hard to bench Boesch right now with how hot he is, and there's no way Damon, Jackson, or Ordonez are losing their jobs.

#33 Bandido

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Member No.: 99

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:50 PM

No way Guillen goes back to short. It's almost to the point these days that he's a DH only type a guy. No matter where they put him you know he's going to come up lame sooner or later. If they'd put him back at short he'd be hurt in less than a week in my opinion. He still has a decent stick, but lets face it he's an injury risk each and every day. Those nagging injuries have been holding him back the last few years and the shortstop position is the most demanding spot on the ball diamond next to the catching position. Leyland will just tinker with his line up a little more when Guillen comes back to equal out the at bats for Maggs, Damon and Boesch. Maggs and Damon along with Guillen aren't exactly springs chickens at their ages now anyways so they'll welcome a day off once in awhile.

#34 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Well since I last posted last night(after the game) the Tigers have announced that Guillen will come back at 2nd, and they've sent Sizemore down. I questioned not resigning Polanco from the beginning, and it's obviously hurt.

Hopefully Carlos can finally find a consistent home at 2nd. His bat is still solid, and his major problem at short and 3rd was throwing. Hopefully less work at 2nd will be easier on his knees and the shorter throws make him more accurate. I definitely think it's worth a try.

#35 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Jose Lima dead of a heartattack at 37. He was never a very good pitcher in his years as a Tiger, but man was he fun to watch on the mound. Probably one of the few reasons to actually watch the games in the early part of the decade.

RIP Lima Time.

#36 Bandido

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Member No.: 99

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yes Guillen is going to second, but my question is how long before somebody slides hard into 2nd and he lands back on the DL? Wish I could say his body and knees could hold up but I honestly don't think his body can handle it anymore. I hope I'm way off base and completely wrong in this case because it would help the Tigers offense a great deal if they can get some offensive production from second base for a change.

#37 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Bandido @ May 23 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Guillen is going to second, but my question is how long before somebody slides hard into 2nd and he lands back on the DL? Wish I could say his body and knees could hold up but I honestly don't think his body can handle it anymore. I hope I'm way off base and completely wrong in this case because it would help the Tigers offense a great deal if they can get some offensive production from second base for a change.

I agree. I love the guy, he's gone through a lot and changed positions a bunch without complaining, and he can still swing the bat. I hope he can stay healthy but at this point who knows what we'll actually get out of him.

#38 bulldogsada

All League

• Members
  • 62 posts

Member No.: 4985

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Bandido @ May 23 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They had a great second baseman and let him get away in FA in Polonko.SP...
that is the biggest problem Along with pitching what Verlander is 5-3 and should be more like 7-1
they just need to get that pitching down other wise they are not going to make a run this year.
and stay out of the Penn that is what killed them last year the penn had nothing left at the end of the season and is
a big reason that they lost to MIN.
let the DOGS Run.

#39 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

The starters are beginning to turn it around. Seems like Verlander just can't pitch in April, this is the 2nd straight year he's struggled in April then dominated in May. Porcello is inconsistent but seems to be turning the corner. Bonderman is really coming on strong. Willis isn't terrible for being a 4 or 5 guy. As long as Galarraga steps up or Scherzer figures it out the pitching will be fine.

Someone brought up a good point a few weeks ago in that had they resigned Polanco, they wouldn't have gone after Damon. Now of the 2 I'd rather have Polanco(better defense at an important position), but on offense they're very similar. I still wish we had Polanco, but I'm learning to get over it.

Biggest issue with this team is the hitting from 6-9. Inge just isn't a good hitter. He'll hit you 20 homers and drive in 65-80 runs, but in the mean time he's a .230 hitter who strikes out about once a game. Then there's the Laird/Avila/Everett/Santiago/Raburn/Worth/Kelly combination at 7-9. I think they'll be in contention all season, but they NEED Guillen to come back healthy and Boesch and Jackson to keep up what they're doing to make the playoffs this season. More likely I'd say they finish 2nd, get some young guys some experience, then make a run next season.

#40 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Scherzer back up, Willis designated for assignment. Finally the 2+ year train wreck is over.

Now let's hope Max and Armando are up to the task of filling out the rotation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users