Mathias NBA material ??

35 replies to this topic

#21 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

From memory (I. E. somebody check for accuracy)... Diebler's senior season he averaged over 40 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 assists.... as a SHOOTING GUARD. I personally think his dad should have found a way to get him more than 40 shots/game...

I MAY be wrong. But I recall his stats as being ridiculous. I don't recall ANYBODY with any credibility thinking his numbers were artificial.

Also... Didn't he shoot over 50 percent from 3 pt one season at OSU?
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#22 blitzkreig

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 9191

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Fact of the matter is anywhere he ends up will be a good fit because of his basketball IQ and ability to adapt.....true team player.....so yes Akron would be a good fit but before its all said and done alot more schools will join the party

#23 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 04 March 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I disagree with this. Jon Diebler was an average shooter in H.S. He was very talented, but scored a lot because his dad was the coach and he had the green light to shoot 40 times a game. Dakota is a better shooter and passer as a junior in H.S. than Diebler was. I would also rate Mathias as a better ball handler. Much of Diebler's success resulted from coaching philosphy and style of play. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Jon Diebler, but I think Mathias is more talented at the same stage of their careers. Just my opinion. I'm not going to comment on the NBA thing. It is way to early for that.

Did you ever see Diebler play? He was a much better passer and ball handler than Mathias in HS. He got to OSU and wasn't asked to handle those duties. You are talking about the guy who is the Big Ten all time leader in 3pt FG's.....and has the lead by 50!!!! Mathias will get his chance...if he ends up at Purdue. Save this post....5 years from now, we'll look back at it and see....but at this point Mathias isn't close to Diebler.

http://www.maxpreps....jon-diebler.htm

Take a look....Diebler shot 47% his senior year....and that was including putting up 323 3-pointers.

Edited by charliesheen, 04 March 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#24 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I agree charliesheen. That guy shot 47 percent as a primary outside shooter. Whoever called him an "average" shooter is misinformed.

By the way... nothing Diebler did takes away from Mathias. I was just pointing out that the description of Diebler presented upthread was 180 degrees opposite of my memory and apparently statistics too. Diebler was a freak.

Mathias is a stud in his own right.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#25 Bball bandit

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 9443

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

do someone really bring up Novak an Blake? I hope you are not talking Steve blake. Novak just stands there while others create. Mathais is a great player but NBA come on man

#26 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Member No.: 9368

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Mathias has already got offers from big ten/big east i highly doubt he will choose a MAC school. And from what i have heard the last thing he wants to do is follow Reggie to Akron...

#27 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Explosion
"You're a mess"

#28 SteadyReady247

All League

• Members
  • 34 posts

Member No.: 9336

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

You people are not looking at the big picture here. I'm not saying he will be drafted to the NBA in 2 years . But you see what he does now , his absolute will to score the ball on a team with ZERO help and against above average competition. Look what he did to Vitto Brown. Is Brown a top prospect in the nation ? Absolutely not. But he is a big , athletic 6"8 body that dominates high school basketball. He wanted nothing to do with defending Mathias. The point is , he's the best scorer in all of Ohio ,right now as, as a junior. Diebler averaged 40 his senior year? Mathias could average 50 ... Not a doubt in my mind. Imagine how good this kid will be when he's a 22 year old man after working and improving for four years at a big time D1 college. It would not surprise me one bit if we see Dakota Mathias playing NBA minutes in the future.

#29 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

SteadyReady247 said, "This kid can score the ball as good as anyone I've ever seen."

The "PROPHET SAYS" you need to get out more often.

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#30 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Nothing against Purdue, West Virgina and Boston College, but if this kid was future NBA material, I'd think Ohio State, Indiana and Kentucky would be on the list?? And maybe he's got some interest in those schools and they've not committed as of yet?
I have heard Ohio St is starting to draw interest toward Mathias. They saw a couple of game tapes and really liked his all-around game. I think Purdue and Butler are up in his favorites right now. Coach Matt Painter was at the game this past Friday again and he got to see a good show.

#31 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

i

View PostSteadyReady247, on 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

You people are not looking at the big picture here. I'm not saying he will be drafted to the NBA in 2 years . But you see what he does now , his absolute will to score the ball on a team with ZERO help and against above average competition. Look what he did to Vitto Brown. Is Brown a top prospect in the nation ? Absolutely not. But he is a big , athletic 6"8 body that dominates high school basketball. He wanted nothing to do with defending Mathias. The point is , he's the best scorer in all of Ohio ,right now as, as a junior. Diebler averaged 40 his senior year? Mathias could average 50 ... Not a doubt in my mind. Imagine how good this kid will be when he's a 22 year old man after working and improving for four years at a big time D1 college. It would not surprise me one bit if we see Dakota Mathias playing NBA minutes in the future.

Average 50 a game? You sir or madam should be randomly selected for a drug screening. Mathias is the best player in West Central Ohio I 'll give you that, however he is not the best player in the state. If Jon Diebler is not playing in the NBA right now with his shooting prowess and all around athletic talent, Dakota Mathias chances are slim and maybe none. Let this kid finish his high school career and have a collegiate career before we put him on a pedestal of NBA greatness.

#32 Badlands

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Member No.: 3149

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Im so glad I didn't bring this up. And people think I post dumb things........The young man is a Junior in high school, Yes he is a outstanding talent for this area, but to compare him to the rest of the country is a reach. Has anyone noticed how balanced college basketball is this year......Lot of best players in high school,, now facing talent better, or just as good.

#33 cs59

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 4257

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Steady, Vito Brown is lazy & only plays part of the time. He will have to change his approach to the game big time if he expects to succeed in college. As far as Diebler in high school, saw him many times & at this point Mathias is not as far along as Diebler was. He might get to that level but he isn't there yet.

#34 Obed

All District

• Members
  • 197 posts

Member No.: 5247

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Diebler averaged 40 his senior year? Mathias could average 50 ... Not a doubt in my mind.

you just went full potato, bro
Troller of Trolls. Ayatollah of souls.

#35 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostObed, on 05 March 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

you just went full potato, bro

This. If a player can average 50... hell, even 40... then they have the ability to score, AT WILL. Whatever defense is thrown at the player, it doesn't matter.

#36 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postcharliesheen, on 04 March 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Did you ever see Diebler play? He was a much better passer and ball handler than Mathias in HS. He got to OSU and wasn't asked to handle those duties. You are talking about the guy who is the Big Ten all time leader in 3pt FG's.....and has the lead by 50!!!! Mathias will get his chance...if he ends up at Purdue. Save this post....5 years from now, we'll look back at it and see....but at this point Mathias isn't close to Diebler.

http://www.maxpreps....jon-diebler.htm

Take a look....Diebler shot 47% his senior year....and that was including putting up 323 3-pointers.

I agree Diebler was a great player - no question. As a senior he shot 35% on his 3's which is average. Yes, I did see him play many times, and his 2 pt. FG percentage was enhanced by a lot layups generated by their pressing defense. I have no doubt Mathias would have similar stats, if not better, if he played in the same type of system as Diebler. Diebler became a very good 3 pt. shooter at OSU during his Jr. and Sr. seasons. Do you remember his Freshman and Soph. seasons? This debate is about their comparative skills at the same point (thru their Jr. seasons) in their careers. We will see where Mathias ends up and how much he improves. This is a fun debate, especially when discussing 2 outstanding players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users